Spoiled by NCL's "Freestyle"

kittygrace

WOW RevNeal

Congratulations!!!!!

You look terrific. I could see that you had been losing weight in some of your more recent pics , but I didn't realize how much until the "Before and After " pics :)

How much have you lost? Did you do any special diet, or just cut down on the portions and cut out the crap (Thats how I lost 85 lbs)

Keep up the great work :)

Thank you very much. If you would like to read an article I've written on the subject, it can be found here ... page two.

I began my weight loss early this year at 364 pounds. I weighed in this morning, at the gym, at 259 pounds. I have lost weight by a combination of diet and exercise. I go to the gym (every day but Sunday) and I have a personal trainer who puts me through my paces and a Dietitian who taught me a great deal about what to eat and how to prepare it.

Thank you very much. If you would like to read an article I've written on the subject, it can be found here ... page two.

I began my weight loss early this year at 364 pounds. I weighed in this morning, at the gym, at 259 pounds. I have lost weight by a combination of diet and exercise. I go to the gym (every day but Sunday) and I have a personal trainer who puts me through my paces and a Dietitian who taught me a great deal about what to eat and how to prepare it.

Congrats, Greg - that's a fantastic accomplishment! Keep it up!

To cruise NCL probably means a solo cruiser will be eating alone most of the time and as a result have less opportunity to meet new people.

When you cruised NCL didn't they offer to seat you with others?...They seemed to offer others this opportunity and thus they were able to meet "new" people every evening.

Thank you for posting the link, it was nice article. I know from personal experience how difficult weight loss can be. I wish you continued success.

Congrats Rev Neal, I know that takes hard work and dedication.

As for freestyle vs. traditional I must be the village idiot, I go with the flow and have a good time wherever I go. On NCL the only time I wear a tie is on the optional formal night, on Cunard/Celebrity/HAL I wear my tux.

On NCL they've always given us the option of dining by ourselves or sharing.

Rev,

You look awesome. And as someone who also lost a lot of weight years ago ... and pretty much managed to keep it off ... I know how much work it is. You've clearly done a great job. Now change that avatar to something kewl and funky. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

Everytime I read something like this I really wonder what is going on. I am not questioning what you posted by any means, so please don't take my post wrong.

I have never seen this. 60% is a very high percentage to be strolling around in short, jeans, t's on formal night. Is it possible this occurs more on Vista ships?

My last cruise I would say about 75% of the guys had on a tux. Ladies were dressed nicely. Yes, I saw a couple of people wandering around in shorts and Ts shirts. Maybe 1%.

My recent ZUI cruise saw about 60-70% of the men in tuxes on both formal nights and the women dressed to compliment them. I saw none without jackets at late seating.

I saw no jeans or shorts at all and noticed just a small percentage changed after dinner.

I find those stats very hard to believe.

Re Freestyle, I felt anything BUT spoiled. I sailed solo on 4 NCL Freestyle sailings and did not enjoy the food, service or dining rooms except for Le Bistro and the sushi bar. I found it quite awkward from a single sailor's POV. I also am not fond of the overly casual atmosphere.

I am one who believes and hopes that HAL (and X) do not fall prey to the decline in dress codes I have seen on every other mass market line. To be just another in the homogenous group of lines who now allow clothes suitable for mowing the lawn into the dining room dinner would be a shame.

You look awesome. And as someone who also lost a lot of weight years ago ... and pretty much managed to keep it off ... I know how much work it is. You've clearly done a great job. Now change that avatar to something kewl and funky. :)

Thanks Rita ... I appreciate that greatly. I wish I really looked "awesome," but such MAJOR changes take a great deal of time ... as they should. I didn't get this fat overnight; it's going to take me a long time to really get my life fully re-oriented. And, you're all correct, it's not easy. However, I truly do believe that I've long past turned the corner in terms of making this a new "way of life." And that is what this is going to take. The doctor wants me to lose another 50 or so pounds ... and that's my objective between now and my next birthday.

Oh ... and I HAVE changed my avatar. :) I found a photo of me smiling ... not so serious.

Thanks Rita ... I appreciate that greatly. I wish I really looked "awesome," but such MAJOR changes take a great deal of time ... as they should. I didn't get this fat overnight; it's going to take me a long time to really get my life fully re-oriented. And, you're all correct, it's not easy. However, I truly do believe that I've long past turned the corner in terms of making this a new "way of life." And that is what this is going to take.

RevNeal, let me add my congratulations on not only your weight loss, but more importantly on your commitment to a new way of life.

At 16 YO, I weighed 297 pounds and yoyo'd for 10 years until I stopped dieting and decided to make life changes. I have maintained my 150lb weight loss for 22 years by a commitment to daily exercise and proper diet.

It never gets easy but my good health and high energy level is a constant reward. Besides, I love wearing slinky clothes and now I can:D.

Best of luck!

I was refering to the NCL spirit... the pay restaurants "shogun" and their Japanese section (forgot the name) ,shogun was an upcharge of I think 15 dollars per person... and the food was poor, and the japanese restaurant was even more expensive and poor-fair. I did wait 20-30 mins each night we went to dinner between 6pm and 730.. very long lines for each of the restaurants were the quality of food was better,but to top it off..quite a few of us became ill on the cruise and were contacted and interviewed by the CDC.. so I am not really exaggerating my experience on that ship. I do agree that everyone's expereince is different on different cruises we do not gamble but I always manage to meet people.. it is IMO easier with traditional dining.

Shogun didn't wow me either, but Cagney's was EXCELLENT- not to be missed.

Here ... try out a side-by-side comparison of how I looked before I changed my life and the direction I was heading and started to get a handle on my weight issue through proper diet and exercise:

thennow.jpg

Not bad, eh?

Jeez Louise, Rev! Hook me up with whatever plan you are following! I'm gonna check that link...

I have had my own struggles with weight in a major way- and have lost 70 pounds FIVE times. And ten pounds... a hundred times? Five pregnancies- it's amazing how it keeps coming back. Now I am on the upswing and hating it, just hating it. Eating swings from out of control to marginally controlled. No time to go to the gym- maybe today??? Anyway, you look great.

Archived