Dickenson's Bay or Turner Beach

jo-v

FYI..this is a copy of my comments on another recent post on this same topic.

We went to Turners Beach on our 4/06 NCL Jewel cruise. It was one of the best beach experiences we have enjoyed. It was not crowded, had a great little restaurant (and bar), it was not filled with vendors bothering you constantly, it had umbrellas for rent and it was just plain beautiful. The water was calm and the blues of the water and sky were extraordinary. Across the water is the steaming volcano on Monserrat (sp?).

We are porting there on the NCL Pearl in 2/07 and plan to return. My recollection is taxi fare was $27 each way (4 in the cab). Well worth it. We made arrangements for the driver to pick us up which he gladly did, and he gave us insights into Antigua during the ride. The distance is not far from port, but it takes 30 minutes or so to get there due to the winding roads along the coast.

FYI..this is a copy of my comments on another recent post on this same topic.

We went to Turners Beach on our 4/06 NCL Jewel cruise. It was one of the best beach experiences we have enjoyed. It was not crowded, had a great little restaurant (and bar), it was not filled with vendors bothering you constantly, it had umbrellas for rent and it was just plain beautiful. The water was calm and the blues of the water and sky were extraordinary. Across the water is the steaming volcano on Monserrat (sp?).

We are porting there on the NCL Pearl in 2/07 and plan to return. My recollection is taxi fare was $27 each way (4 in the cab). Well worth it. We made arrangements for the driver to pick us up which he gladly did, and he gave us insights into Antigua during the ride. The distance is not far from port, but it takes 30 minutes or so to get there due to the winding roads along the coast.

Well, it has changed. Turners beach was very nice, the beach itself, and if you get their early I bet you can get some food in a short amount of time - we got there at 1:30 from our lawerance tour and we waited about an hour and a half for food and it was four hamburgers - finally my wife went up and asked if they needed help cooking because she could help them cook and get everyone their food with in 15 mins - everyone at the bar laughed - but you don't want to mess with my wife when she is hungry..we had food in 5 mins - they are nice - just on island time - so go early and eat early before all the tours come in .....

The beach was nice - we were around a another young couple who just got married (both of us were in our mid to late 20's) and a couple of the locals wouldn't leave our wives a lone...especially the other couple because you could tell they didn't know how to say no....the local guys kept asking if we wanted a "blow" and he had a conch shell in his hand - it was funny once - but after 20 times it got old - also they kept asking people if they wanted fresh coconut that he was spilting up right in front of you - it was cool but I said no and then they kept bugging us and the other couple about it saying it would make you go all night and it was the love juice - funny at first but got old - finally I said we all live in fl and have coconut trees in our yards and they have coconuts on them and we drink from them all the time - he laughed and I said why do you think we have such good looking wives...he finally got the point and left us alone..for about 5 mins until he had something else for us - we left after that.

Turners beach is nice beach...locals and the long wait at the restaurant ruined it for us a little- would I go to the beach just to go to the beach - umm doubt it - I would rather find a beach that has good snorkeling JMO

flvol77,

I am not so sure the beach has changed as to you went on a bad day and suffered for the experience. we researched the beaches and talked to locals who said this beach was what we were looking for...and it was.

I am sure the Lawrence tour would not have stopped there if your experience was the norm. We all hope that we don't encounter a "bad" day on our port days or even cruise experiences...unfortunately you suffered a "bad" lunch day.

I agree with you that it is not a good snorkel beach. It is more a relaxing, frolic in the water type of beach.

I just returned from Dickenson's Bay and we had a nice day. We went to Tony's next to Sandals, rented chairs for $5 and they had many activities. The kids did parasailing; they also had jet skis, water skiing, sailboats and glass bottom boat rides. Drinks are reasonable but the food is very expensive. Bathroom was not kept clean and we had to use the one at the place next door. Taxi from pier is $3 per person and the taxis are waiting to take you back.

• 2 weeks later...
flvol77,

I am not so sure the beach has changed as to you went on a bad day and suffered for the experience. we researched the beaches and talked to locals who said this beach was what we were looking for...and it was.

I am sure the Lawrence tour would not have stopped there if your experience was the norm. We all hope that we don't encounter a "bad" day on our port days or even cruise experiences...unfortunately you suffered a "bad" lunch day.

I agree with you that it is not a good snorkel beach. It is more a relaxing, frolic in the water type of beach.

Don't get me wrong it could be a wonderful beach but, the locals asking you if you want a blow and want to buy some weed isn't my idea of a bad lunch day .... I let Lawrence know about it...and when we were leaving there was a little beach about a half a mile on the right after turners beach, I asked why lawrence didn't drop us off there and he said there was no place to change...even though there was sign that said restrooms...If we ever go back I wouldn't want to go to Turners Beach -

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

turners no question, but there are better beaches than both of them........no beach is "best" for everything in antigua though, so don't expect something so crazy as "the best beach for snorkeling, with restaurants, with great watersports, parasailing, jet skis, and IS NOT TOO BUSY".

Its not going to happen!

Archived