Scuba Divers & Snorkelers

JDK01269

Sailing on the Grand Princess out of Galveston in December. Two of us are certified (little experience) and Mom has NO desire to get certified. She tried last summer when we certified and got freaked out... :eek: Our ports of call are: Belize, Mahahual, Cozumel, & Grand Cayman. The local dive shop advised us against diving in Belize - something about a hurricane ruining the dive spots. We found Blue Ha diving in Mahahual - advertise that most beginner sites are suitable for snorkelers too... What about Grand Cayman & Cozumel? Are there any sites - other than Sting Ray City that are suitable for divers and snorkelers?? How about Cozumel? Can anybody recommend dive shops that can accomodate all of us? We are not particularly interested in too many shore dives but if that is our only option with a snorkeler in the group... We'll go with it. Anybody else on the Grand Princess 12/04/04 in the same situation? HELP!

Thanks,

Jammie :p

How about Cozumel? Can anybody recommend dive shops that can accomodate all of us? We'll go with it. Anybody else on the Grand Princess 12/04/04 in the same situation? HELP!

While I haven't used them myself, I have read several favorable comments about Blue Angel diving in Cozumel. I would definitely use them if I was staying at Caribe Blu Hotel right next door to Blue Angel. They do offer a combo snorkel/dive trip that leaves at 10:00 and includes lunch.

Lots of other cruisers recommend eagleraydivers, but I have only read about them on this and other cruise message boards, not on scuba diving message boards I usually read.

You can also check on Scubaboard.com . There is a section for cruises, the Greater Caribbean (Grand Cayman), as well as a section specific to Coz.

Jammie,

We will be in Cozumel on 12/4/04 on the Royal Caribbean's Enchantment. We have 6 of us that are looking for the same snorkel/scuba combo. 2 divers and 4 snorkelers. Let me know what you find......

Thanks,

Kim

Kim,

I think after reading multiple reviews about Paradise Beach (on the Port of Call - Cozumel thread) - I think we are heading there for the day. Apparently (if I remember what I read correctly) - it is about a $12 cab ride to the beach. There is no entry fee and lots of FREE things - snorkeling equipment (I think they said to snorkel next to the red bouys), beach chairs & umbrellas, water trampoline, kayaks... ALL FREE! Plus - the food, drinks, and service are supposed to be absolutely wonderful and at more than reasonable prices... BONUS - "right next door" there is supposed to be a place that you can rent banana boats, jet skis, parasail, and.... DIVE!!! Woohoo! I know it isn't exactly the dive/snorkel trip that we were looking for - but it sounds pretty good. I havent read a single negative post about Paradise Beach! If you find something better - please post... Cozumel, Belize, Grand Cayman, or Mahahual...

Thanks,

Jammie

In Cozumel we took a taxi to Dzul Ha Beach.

You can snorkel right off this area very nice. A lot of the dive boats bring the divers and snorkelers to this area.

Nice patch reef (10 to 30ft depth) that goes up and down this area.

You can rent snorkel equipment right there. We did see a dive boat there but I do not know if you can sign up for the dive boat there or not.

This is a very nice and safe place to leave your personal items while you are in the water. There were also lockers you could rent.

They have an outside shower there as well.

They have a cantina tables and chairs where you can get food and drinks.

I believe the taxi was $7 pp from the ship.

When you are ready to go back they will stop a taxi for you.

If you go say hello to Estefan he is the supervisor at the cantina. The people there are very nice and they look out for you.

I would suggest you go to the Cozumel Ports of Call on the CC thread and ask Sally she has a putt putt golf course in Cozumel and she is so helful to answer questions for cc members coming to Cozumel.

Grand Cayman

You can walk to Eden Rocks dive shop where you can rent dive equipment and snorkel gear and go right off their deck. Depth 4 ft to over 40 ft. This is one of our favorite sites to dive they have the clearest water.

When you get to town turn right and walk less than a mile to Eden Rocks.

We have seen turtles, nurse sharks, moray els and so many fish. The coral is out standing. This is where Devils Groto is where many of the divers go through the groto.

You can rent lockers there. They also have a dip tank and shower when you come in.

Have a great time.

Archived