Hobart - Something Different

Aussie Gal

We are presently spending a few days here in Hobart and I just wanted to tell you about a wonderful trip we did today.

We went to the Mt Field National Park and walked to the Russell Falls. This National Park is only an hour's drive from the dock in Hobart and the Falls and the Park are spectacular. Once at the National Park it is an easy flat walk to see the falls. What amazed us was the size of the Eucalpyts in the park. We have just returned from San Francisico and have been to the Muir Woods to see the Giant Redwood trees. The Eucalypts in the Mt. Field Park are so much higher than these trees. They are the Swamp Gums and are the highest of all the Eucalypts. The falls are also a great sight to see and the walk is only a 20 minute return trip.

This is in the World Heritage Listed area of Tasmania and it shows the visitor the natural wonders of this lovely state of Australia. There is a great information centre at the Park and also a cafe with good food.

If you do not want to visit Port Arthur and are not sure what to do for the day then get a driver and a car and ask to be taken to Mt Field. You will not be sorry.

The best place to see our native animals is in Melbourne at the Healesville Sanctuary so if the ship is going on there, save the native animals for Melbourne and go and see some of our native bush instead when in Hobart.

Jennie

We did a Princess cruise of NZ/AUS and I fell in love with Tasmania. We did the Mt Field National park and the Healesville Sanctuary and enjoyed every moment of it. It was especially nice to get to interact with animals that I'd only seen previously on TV. It was obvious by the intereaction that we had with the locals that they lvoe their country and are proud of its achievements. I would go back to Hobart (and Tasmania) in a heartbeat. What a great place.

Charlie

Robert,

So glad you found a driver. You will love Cradle Mountain. I hope you have time to walk around Dove Lake whilst there.

We have done another couple of great day trips which would be terrific if you were on a ship and only had the day to explore.

Yesterday we went down to Port Arthur and had a wonderful day. We hadn't been back since 1977 and it has changed so much. There is so much to see there that it is worth a trip especially if you are interested in our history of early convict life in the 1800's.

Today we went down to Peppermint Bay for lunch. There is a cruise boat which goes down each day and you have the choice of eating on board or having lunch in the beautiful restaurant. The meals on board are provided by the restaurant too. The trip down is beautiful as you follow the Derwent river down to this lovely bay with plenty of viewing of wildlife. It is a 3-4 hour trip altogether so I think there would be plenty of time to fit it in if one was thinking of doing this trip.

The website is http://www.pepermintbay.com.au if anyone is interested.

Jennie

We are presently spending a few days here in Hobart and I just wanted to tell you about a wonderful trip we did today.

We went to the Mt Field National Park and walked to the Russell Falls. This National Park is only an hour's drive from the dock in Hobart and the Falls and the Park are spectacular. Once at the National Park it is an easy flat walk to see the falls. What amazed us was the size of the Eucalpyts in the park. We have just returned from San Francisico and have been to the Muir Woods to see the Giant Redwood trees. The Eucalypts in the Mt. Field Park are so much higher than these trees. They are the Swamp Gums and are the highest of all the Eucalypts. The falls are also a great sight to see and the walk is only a 20 minute return trip.

This is in the World Heritage Listed area of Tasmania and it shows the visitor the natural wonders of this lovely state of Australia. There is a great information centre at the Park and also a cafe with good food.

If you do not want to visit Port Arthur and are not sure what to do for the day then get a driver and a car and ask to be taken to Mt Field. You will not be sorry.

The best place to see our native animals is in Melbourne at the Healesville Sanctuary so if the ship is going on there, save the native animals for Melbourne and go and see some of our native bush instead when in Hobart.

Jennie

Hi,

Did you hire a driver to go to Healesville in Melbourne or did you do a cruise tour? Thanks!

Dan,

I would price hiring a driver in Melbourne as against doing a cruise tour as you would be able to do so much more on your own or with another couple.

We use Southern Cross Limos for all our needs. They are very competitive and I am sure you would get a good price from them. Here is their phone number in Melbourne: 61 3 9322 1212 and here is their website: http://www.vha.com.au/

You could incorporate the Yarra Valley and have lunch in a winery either before or after visiting the Sanctuary. Just a suggestion.

Jennie

• 2 weeks later...
Robert,

Today we went down to Peppermint Bay for lunch. There is a cruise boat which goes down each day and you have the choice of eating on board or having lunch in the beautiful restaurant. The meals on board are provided by the restaurant too. The trip down is beautiful as you follow the Derwent river down to this lovely bay with plenty of viewing of wildlife. It is a 3-4 hour trip altogether so I think there would be plenty of time to fit it in if one was thinking of doing this trip.

The website is http://www.pepermintbay.com.au if anyone is interested.

Jennie

Jennie,

To anyone else who clicks on the Peppermint Bay link . . . you definitely need two "P's" in the URL as the link you posted is NOT what we're looking for (at least not for me)!!!

Erin,

So sorry for the mistake. I was typing it out when we were in Hobart staying at our B&B. We had free internet but the typewriter part of the computer was different to the one here at home. Here is the correct URL:

http://www.peppermintbay.com.au/

By the way, as it was a wet cold day, we didn't take the ship but went by car. When we go over again, and it is a lovely sunny day, we will definitely do the cruise.

Jennie

Dan,

I hope you have a wonderful day when you visit Melbourne. We are having perfect weather here at the moment, we are all wishing it would rain as we are in a severe drought but no such luck, just brilliant sunshine every day.

Jennie

Archived