Random Questions

kvand3l00n

I've been reading over these boards, and have heard alot mentioned about these things, but can't really find the answers I am looking for...maybe you all can help me. =)

1. What is Bonine? Is it like Dramamine? And what are those wrist bands that are supposed to help with motion sickness? (sorry, never heard of bonine or the wrist bands) Does someplace like Walgreens carry these?

2. Packing lists - there was a thread I was reading earlier that had some folks packing lists, but is there another one somewhere? I have no clue what to pack. And can we wear normal tshirts with print on the front as long as it's tasteful? (for example, sports teams logos?)

3. What is all included as "formal wear"? If my husband were to wear a pair of dress slacks, a short sleeved dress shirt and a tie, is that considered formal? Or does he have to have a jacket? I plan to wear a dress or skirt and nice blouse or something. And smart casual is like what I would wear to work everyday right? Along the lines of business casual?

These questions might seem a little silly, but THANK YOU all so much. This board has been so helpful, and all of you have been awesome with all the questions here. You guys rock.

Good morning and welcome to cruising!

Bonine is very similar to Dramamine...can make you a little sleepy but does help with motion sickness. I do not believe most states carry it OTC, but your doc can give you an RX for it, or for a scopalamine patch. Neither Should be taken with alcohol. The bracelets work for many; The are strategically placed magnets that are said to prevent dizziness. I don't have a problem with motion sickness so I can't verify that they help.

I have only cruised on RCI and Carnival. However, I can tell you that on Formal night about %60 of men wore a nice suit and tie with a jacket. About %30 wore a tuxedo, and the rest wore dressier sweaters etc.

Many of the women wore the type of dress you would wear to a nice wedding, and some wore dresses that may have been bridesmaid dresses before. I opted for the little black dress.....neither on mine wrinkle so they were light and easy to pack.

Smart casual is probably exactly what you wear to work. Many women wore nice capri pants, simple skirts, nice shirts. Just not shorts and jeans. The mean were very similar- many wore Tshirts with logos etc.

I never did see anyone enforce the dress code. On our last night on the Radiance, we were preparing to go to dinner when my husband spilled his drink on his khaki pants. He had to wear jeans as they were the only thing not packed up. No one said a word to him.

Hope this helps!

Previous poster got you the info on Bonine. As far as dress codes I can only speak for the male side. Formal night is a tux or dinner jacket or dark suit. Smart casual is a sport coat and tie, personally I don't think smart casual exists on RCI anymore, very few males comply, especially on Caribbean cruises. Casual is a collared shirt and slacks and decent shoes (no open toes and no runners). Having said all that, what you do is your business. I can't remember where the packing list is, not sure if it's in one of the "stickys" at the top of the RCI board.

Q. What is Bonine? Is it like Dramamine? And what are those wrist bands that are supposed to help with motion sickness? (sorry, never heard of bonine or the wrist bands) Does someplace like Walgreens carry these?

A. Bonine is a motion sickness pill that you take once a day (nighttime before bed is suggested as it can make you sleepy). The wrist bands are called Sea Bands. They work like acupunchture on prussure points on the wrist. Walgreen's will have them but the Bonine may be behind the counter (it is in Canada). Wal-mart may have them or any pharmacy.

Q. Packing lists - there was a thread I was reading earlier that had some folks packing lists, but is there another one somewhere? I have no clue what to pack. And can we wear normal tshirts with print on the front as long as it's tasteful? (for example, sports teams logos?)

A. Do a search there is plenty here. T-shirts are allowed for casual times (shore ex, Windjammer (buffet area, pool deck ect)but depending on lenght of cruise you could have one, two or three formal nights which means a tux or suit for the guys and equal nice dress for the ladies (think sparkle).

Q. What is all included as "formal wear"? If my husband were to wear a pair of dress slacks, a short sleeved dress shirt and a tie, is that considered formal? Or does he have to have a jacket? I plan to wear a dress or skirt and nice blouse or something. And smart casual is like what I would wear to work everyday right? Along the lines of business casual?

A. Your husband does need a jacket. For you, most wear a dress (think wedding). I usually wear a long plain black dress the first formal and a colourful dress the second. This also depends on what line you are going on. For instance NCL, you can dress casual 24/7 and eat when you want. On Princess You can have Tradional Dining (set time) or Anytime Dining (not sure what it is called now) but they have Formal nights.

You have smart causal down pat.

A little more info...

Bonine is the national brand name for a drug called Meclizine. It is also known as Dramamine II, or Less Drowsy Formula Dramamine. It is avaliable over the counter, and through on-line mail order. Target sells a store brand which is about half the cost of the national brands. I've never taken it, but it is reported to not cause as much drowsiness as the original formula Dramamine.

The scopalamine patch is only available by prescription, and has additional side effects.

I don't know of any bracelet products that have magnets. The two main bracelet products that I am aware of are the simple (cheaper) ones which have little beads that are supposed to press against a particular nerve in your wrist, and there is also an electronic version which is a bit more expensive, which induces a small current to the same nerves. The electronic bracelet looks like a watch, and the last time I checked, was actually approved by the FDA for nausea related to morning sickness.

Unless you know for sure you are prone to seasickness, you may wish to give it a try without anything at first, but it's a bit of a "Catch 22" situation as most of the anti-nausea drugs work best if they are taken before the discomfort begins.

Theron

Thanks for all the replies! I knew someone here would have the answers I needed. =)

We are travelling on RCCL - Mariner of the Seas Dec 17-24. So I don't know if that makes a difference in dress or not...is a jacket required for Chops or Portofino's?

I take Meclizine when needed for an inner ear problem. It is the same thing as Bonine or Non-drowsy Dramimine only cheaper. You can buy it over the counter at Walgreen's. Any of these should work to prevent sea sickness. Buy the non-drowsy formula. I plan to begin taking one before I get on the plane for our cruise and then regularly during the cruise as I get motion sickness easily. I used the patch years ago and it worked very well but I was sick for 4 days

after taking it off back on land. I had such a bad headache I could barely see.

Here is a link to the lisst I think your talking about, Calgons Ultimate Packing List:

http://www.geocities.com/Calgon1/UPL-2_Adults_Warm.html

I usually print it out while planning and use it as a mind jogger while we are packing. God knows I don't pack everything on the list but there are somethings that I never would have thought of. If there is one thing I would strongly suggest is the "Over the door Shoe Holders" Put it over the bathroom door. Works great for organizing things besides shoes.

Bob

Yikes Katt! I'll probably stick with dramamine, I usually take that before I get on planes. I can't really say I get motion sick, I've never gotten sick, but I get that horrible dizzy/nauseous feeling on planes, back seats of cars, etc. Not sure how I will react on the boat!

Bob - thanks for the tip! I saw something about this posted elsewhere, perhaps I'll pick one of those up this week! I'm getting so excited for this cruise! I can't wait!

Thanks for all the replies! I knew someone here would have the answers I needed. =)

We are travelling on RCCL - Mariner of the Seas Dec 17-24. So I don't know if that makes a difference in dress or not...is a jacket required for Chops or Portofino's?

The info might say yes, can't remember. I wore a nice long sleeved shirt and slacks and was NOT out of place.

wow just checked out the link that is one heck of a list. I dont even bring half that stuff, remember most of the time on the ship you will probably be in your bathingsuit.

On my last cruise I used the patch, damamine and Bonine and found that for me the Bonine worked the best of all 3. I put the patch on a few hours before my flight, day 2 of being on the ship I woke up with my vision so blurry I couldnt make out my own hand in front of my face. Took it off and started taking the Dramamine Less Drowsey I brought just in case, ran out after two days (didnt have many left in the pack). Started to get ill after a few hours of not taking the next pill so DH ran down to the Ship shop and got the Bonine, within an hour I was up and out on deck having a drink by the pool laughing and having a grand time. It is sold over the counter here in MD but the stores dont stock it so I will have to order it. I will be bringing a few boxes with me just in case anyone in my party just might need some.

kvand3l00n,

The wrist bands work as accupressure on a certain area of the wrist, it works for some and not others. I personally use Meclizine for a vertigo problem, I get a script (Rx) from my doctor and by the 12.5 mg and the 25 mg pills and take either one three times a day. Please talk to your MD for the Rx and directions if you opt for this solution. The prescription could cost you less for more tablets than the Bonine. My fishing buddy uses the Bonine instead of Dramamine and find it works better. I also suggest getting the chewable ginger tablets which is suppose to help with nausea.

P.S. You must start taking either of the pills the day before to get it into your system, this helps most people rather than taking it on that day. Try and keep your mind off of getting seasick.

Wish you a great cruise!! :)

I started taking Mecclazine two days before we left on the cruise. Because I am very prone to motion sickness, I took a pill in the morning and one at night. I could still feel the motion of the ship, but I never had that "sick" feeling. By the way, I bought a bottle of 100 pills from Drugstore.com. Also you might want to consider taking the pills for a couple of days after you get off the ship. Some people still feel the movement of the ship for a few days after they are home. Good luck and I hope you have a wonderful time.

I've been reading over these boards, and have heard alot mentioned about these things, but can't really find the answers I am looking for...maybe you all can help me. =)

1. What is Bonine? Is it like Dramamine? And what are those wrist bands that are supposed to help with motion sickness? (sorry, never heard of bonine or the wrist bands) Does someplace like Walgreens carry these?

2. Packing lists - there was a thread I was reading earlier that had some folks packing lists, but is there another one somewhere? I have no clue what to pack. And can we wear normal tshirts with print on the front as long as it's tasteful? (for example, sports teams logos?)

3. What is all included as "formal wear"? If my husband were to wear a pair of dress slacks, a short sleeved dress shirt and a tie, is that considered formal? Or does he have to have a jacket? I plan to wear a dress or skirt and nice blouse or something. And smart casual is like what I would wear to work everyday right? Along the lines of business casual?

These questions might seem a little silly, but THANK YOU all so much. This board has been so helpful, and all of you have been awesome with all the questions here. You guys rock.

Bonine is little chewable pills for motion sickness. They taste like raspberry but take a sip of soda or juice afterwards as it has a little after taste for a minute. Take one before you board and you should be fine. It did not make me drowzy at all. You can buy it at any drugstore, Walmart, etc. Some stores make it under their own name but I bought the brand name Bonine. Probably the same thing. Ask where the motion sickness pills are in a pharmacy and they will direct you. I do not know what ship you'll be on but we were just off the Explorer 5 night to Bermuda. We had one formal night but all the other nights were suggested CASUAL in our Compass each day. THe first night you see everything in the diningroom except bathing suits of course. Formal night is alot of suits, ties and dress shirts, but I did see men with just dress shirt and tie and slacks or polo's and slacks. If I had to say what you seen most of it would be suits maybe a couple of tuxes. Women on formal night had cocktail dresses ranging from simple knits, to a little dressier, slacks, blouses, skirts, blouses, sweaters, and yes, I even seen jeans and dressy blouses. Most I would say wore either a cocktail dress or dressy pants and top. I did not see any gowns on my cruise. The rest of nights in dining room were polo's and slacks for men mostly and slacks and blouses or sweaters for women. Read the COMPASS paper they will put on your bed each night for the next day if you are concerned about suggested attire as it will tell you on the front page. Remember it's suggested only no one is going to say anything to you if you have on slacks and a dress shirt on for formal night and not a suit. During the day it was very casual again shorts, capri's for women, and shorts, slacks for guys. There is a huge debate about shorts in diningroom so not going to get into that but they are allowed during the the day and not suggested for night in diningrooms according to the sign outside our diningroom on Explorer. In my opinion the diningrooms are kept cool so it would be too cold anyway to wear them. Bring a sweater for cool nights on deck. I did not see any t-shirts in diningroom at night but someone could have worn one but I didn't see it. During the day tons of people have t-shirts on them, all kinds and sayings. Nobody seems interested in what anyone else is wearing so don't worry about it. I did not see any torn or ripped ratty clothes at all so other than something like that pack to be comfortable. It also depends on where you leave from. We leave from Bayonne and it was cold 10/29 so you seen alot of winter coats, sweats and heavy sweaters also for boarding and on first night or 2 at sea and of course on the way home. Bring basic stuff too from home like suntan lotion, over counter meds, toothpaste, etc. as things will be more expensive on the ship and in ports than at home. On the ships things are very limited in variety for basic neccessities so bring what you like from home. :)

Archived