What if you don't put your luggage out the night before?

Baseball Lover

Brian,

Count me in on your side also, although like Sail I order room service breakfast instead of going to the Lido.

I have no problem "sifting" through the luggage in the terminal and usually just stand to one side letting others gather up their suitcases. When the luggage has been whittled down to just a few forlorn items then I go searching for mine. By that time the porters are back from the first wave and are ready for new customers. I always book a return seat on the shuttle so don't worry about lack of transportation.

I certainly don't want to end a perfect cruise by hauling my luggage around any more than I absolutely have to.

Valerie:D

Ah, Brian, I couldn't agree more.

I always wondered why it's a "perk" to be the first to leave! As for lugging my own bags.....after being spoiled completely for days, my FIRST steps into reality are not going to be made while pulling overloaded, heavy luggage down the gangplank! :(

And when we are ready to disembark, we do so and it does not impact anyone else.

You can't know that completely, though, can you? And dragging - or even rolling - a large bag thru the reception area, security checkpoint and the gangway does take up more room (leaving less for others) then having it taken off in the normal way.

Like others have said, we prefer to be the last ones off to avoid the hassles.

As usual, Brian has again expressed the obvious so eloquently. Do have to admit, our last night on the Westerdam we were having so much fun that we had to run back to our cabin to get the packed suitcases outside our door in time then headed back to the party. But that left one large suitcase that hadn't been completly packed and we had to drag it off with us the next day. It really wasn't that much of a hassle, that's what elevators are for.

I'm never in a big hurry to get off....like to enjoy my breakfast and than go looking at the rooms I want to book for my next cruise.

When we sailed Infinity to Hawaii we ended in Ensenada and had to get on a bus to San Diego.

We had to all be off the ship by 7:30......breakfast started at 5AM...boy was that a drag after a wonderfull 11 days.

On this particular cruise we had limited flight options so we opted for the express departure. There was plenty of time for breakfast and we did not see the drug dogs as we left the ship although I assume they were around. As we have cruised many times, I have seen the drug dogs even on the ship before any passengers got off. "Woofie" is closer than you think.

Bottom line is, it is an option. Let's not make up too many stories. On our next cruise in January we do not plan to use the express departure as we are fortunate to stay overnight. Always a preferred choice but not always an option. We knew the rules, followed them and we were at the airport at a comfortable time.

Griswalds

We are always off with the first group and it seems to go okay. (We don't carry our bags off but are always in Group 1 so see the 'we'll do it ourselves people' ) In reality, on HAL, there usually are not that many express pax and those who do express usually have very little 'stuff' they are lugging. They are the type who are brilliant at putting 10 days worth of clothing/personal articles in a 25" bag and they manage to roll it off just fine. I need that size bag to go out to lunch so beats me how they do it.

IF you wish to express disembark and lug your own things, you cannot count on any assistance at all and have to be considerate of the fact you are in line with the group of folks who have the first number so 'don't run them over'. ;).

Bear in mind that Homeland Security (Customs and Department of Agriculture) always check the unloaded luggage for drugs or contraband articles and foodstuff not permitted to be brought into the U.S. Their sniffer dogs might be interested in having a sniff at the bags you are carrying. If you don't want those sweet, friendly cuddly canines near you, you may wish to reconsider dragging your own luggage.

Good luck.

Archived