Unfair Pricing Policy by Hal and price drops be informed (4 merged threads)

Margie201

Here is my note to myTA who is very good.

I see that the price went down thatt we paid of $5,416. I'm now seeing a price - on your site for $4,747 for booking the same Cat SC an almost $800 difference. Please let me know what you can do. Thanks,

Our reservation

Deluxe Verandah Suite

Category SC - Deck: Upper promenade, Verandah, Upper verandah

Bathroom with dual sink vanity, full-size whirlpool bath and shower and additional shower stall, large sitting area, dressing room, private verandah, and VCR. Two lower beds convertible to a queen size bed, sofa bed for two persons.

there is an $800 now

Reply from TA who I trust

No trouble at all. I wanted to call Holland again on Monday and talk to a supervisor because I felt I got the run-around on Sunday. Holland states in order to take advantage of the promotional code with lower rates it is Holland’s policy to cancel the current reservation and rebook the cruise under the lower promotional code. This would result in a penalty of $2949 that Holland would keep!!

I know this is no consolation prize – but I got Holland to put $50.00 per person shipboard credit on your reservation. (I know……whoopee….it’s the very least they could do.)

I have alway been with Celebrity because they honor these price drops and credit passengers who are booked. I'll think again before i book Holland.

You better check your prices and if your booking now you are getting a great

deal. Not angry just disappointed in HAL's policies.

Margie201

Holland states in order to take advantage of the promotional code with lower rates it is Holland’s policy to cancel the current reservation and rebook the cruise under the lower promotional code. Margie201

This is standard policy with many cruise lines if the promotion is after the final payment date......which is probably why HAL says there is a big penalty for you.

It's indeed common across the industry. That said, it would be nice if cruise lines came up with a more consistent pricing model that would give more appearance of fairness. Those who book early to take advantage of "early booking discounts" do not get the best prices.

Let me just relate my current booking with HAL. This was booked directly with HAL not a TA. Here's how it went:

The cruise was originally booked 14 months in advance (Sept 05 - the cruise was not even on the larger on-line TA websites yet). At the time of booking I asked the HAL agent "If there are price drops and promotions that come up before we sail, can I apply them to this fare?" and the responce was "yes", so with that, I placed a down payment of $1200 on a price of $3200 (for 2) for a VD catagory cabin. Now the final payment for HAL has to be made something like 60 or 70 days out and right up to that time, I could cancel without paying a penalty. In March 06 (or there abouts), the price fell to $2700, I called HAL up and no problem the price difference was applied (no cancelation or anything), which after some other payments we made, brought us to "Paid in Full" status. In May 06, HAL introduced a Promo for free motorcoach service from your hometown (if it was on the list of selected towns) round trip to the pier in NYC if you book a Varanda. Again I called HAL and at first the agent started to say it was for "new" bookings but when I told the agent what the original sales agent told me, the supervisor got involved and the promo was applied again, no rebook or cancellation. In July, HAL ran another Promo for a Guaranteed VF for a total of $2100 (for 2). This time I thought a bit and said what the heck it's a good savings so I called HAL. Now remember, we were originally booked into a VD and had been assigned cabin numbers. This time though in order to take advantage of the GTY price, we would have to cancel the reservation and start anew. There was no fee for cancelling but wondered about the bus promo. Turns out that the promo was still valid and could be applied. Didn't take long, I cancelled the booking and rebooked under the new price keeping the bus fare and all. I checked some of the large on line agents to see how we were faring out and the prices were within $50 of each other (and no mention of the bus fare what so ever). I think we got a good deal and I was treated very well by HAL. I would also concider booking direct with HAL again for such a small difference in price and be hassle free. By the way, the refund of $600 was applied to my credit card within 7 working days. We also booked for my parents and they are now ready (and can't wait) to take their first cruise.

I know this really doesn't help your situation margie, but then again, it may if your TA is willing to go to bat for you. If not, I would concider another TA next time. I just wanted to relate to you what HAL told me directly with no "Middle Man", not saying the TA is wrong, there may indeed be a high cancellation fee if it's after HALs final payment date (if not, then it's your TA charging that cancellation fee, not HAL).

It's the same policy that Celebrity follows as well, no matter what your TA says.

dakrewser is absolutely right about Celebrity's pricing policy. Based on personal experience, they don't give a dime back after you book, no matter what you paid.

I am a travel agent and am observing that there are some very steep price drops recently, especially on early December and early January cruises. This may be a symptom of some overcapacity at times. The only sggestion is to watch cabins available on a regular basis, before booking. I would do that for my clients and then make a judgement call as to when to book. This may ( or may not) work but it could save money. The entire travel industry ( to travelers and agents dismay) is operating on a "just in time" look- see to adjust pricing. Not good, but that's the way they work.:rolleyes:

It's indeed common across the industry. That said, it would be nice if cruise lines came up with a more consistent pricing model that would give more appearance of fairness. Those who book early to take advantage of "early booking discounts" do not get the best prices.

Well yeah, Jim, it would be great if we could a) get the best cabin on the ship and b) pay less than anyone else. But business (any business) just doesn't work that way. People can book early and be assured of where they'll lay their head, or wait until after final payment day and scoop up a bargain. There's a "right" way for everyone, no matter what their priority is...

Celebrity will honor a lower price as long as it is not a Tuesday only X-Citing deal. I have been able to lower prices many times.

Royal Caribbean will do the same., even after final payment.

I'm confused by what i'm reading. I thought that anytime in the booking process if the cruiseline (HAL) reduced the price by 10% or more that the lower fare would be applied. I know I've been told about this, but don't remember under what circumstances they use this policy. I would appreciate it if someone could help sort this out. I know that promos are handled differently and this may be the source of my confusion. Thanks

GN

I booked our cruise last spring (for next Feb.). I booked the exact cabin I wanted. We just made our final payment today (I think it's due Monday). One thing I do is not look at the price drops. I don't care. I have the cabin I want. I know that once the final payments are made, HAL is going to try and unload those extra cabins. It may be a bargain, but then again, I have the cabin I want. I suppose if I was willing to wait for what's leftover...I might have gotten a better price. :)

But the cruise lines do all seem to do this differently. One person might get a credit...and another nothing...even on the same cruise line.

The only thing I might suggest is that this last-minute "bargain" fare may not have port charges and taxes added into it - and that those and a few other [ fuel add-on etc] might bring the "bargain" fair into your general charge. If you got a "fair Fare" and you are happy with your cabin and where it is and the itinerary -I would go ahead, enjoy the cruise to its fullest and forget about the rest.

Besides, it can make you NUTZ doing the comparison thing after every cruise etc - Just relax and enjoy YOUR cruise!

I'm confused by what i'm reading. I thought that anytime in the booking process if the cruiseline (HAL) reduced the price by 10% or more that the lower fare would be applied. I know I've been told about this, but don't remember under what circumstances they use this policy. I would appreciate it if someone could help sort this out. I know that promos are handled differently and this may be the source of my confusion. Thanks

GN

GN, you are correct in your thinking. The only stipulation to this, is that it must be prior to final payment. Once final payment is made, your cancellation penalties begin to kick in. Have had an upcoming cruise lowered in price twice already (final payment not due for over a month yet). Typically when they do this, it is a matter of cancel/rebook. If it is prior to final payment, no penalty to cancel. After final payment, being subject to the cancellation penalties, it typically is not money wise to cancel (pay the penalty) and rebook as the penalty is often higher than the savings you would receive. Rarely, it can make sense to do it.

GN

The difference is between an actual "price drop" (where the full list price is reduced) and a limited time "sale" (where its only a temporary reduction for new bookings).

It can be confusing. If in doubt, ask your TA, though. There's no penalty for asking! :)

Margie -- if price is your number one concern then by all means never travel HAL again because it is not their policy to reduce prices after final payment. To get the best price anywhere you may wish to just wait until around or just after those final payment deadlines -- only problem with that is by that time the best cabins have already been assigned to early bookings and occasionally a cruise will book up so completely that you might not make it on board your first choice cruise.

I have to consider price and what I can afford when choosing a cruise line but price alone is nowhere near the top priority. If I am going to spend my hard earned dollars I am looking at the quality of the cruise experience to determine the real value for my money. There are a number of really cheap cruise experiences out there that would not provide the cruise experience that will make me a happy and satisfied cruiser.

There have been times that I have gotten the price of a cruise reduced after booking and many times I have not bothered to check on price after booking. Mnay times it is I who is booking a cruise at the last minute because the price and itinerary offer a great value.

But, I also book many cruises way out. Until final payment I usually watch the prices and check to see if I can get my price reduced when possible and appropriate. When final payment time comes I have to decide that I have a trip booked that I want to take and that it is at a fair price. Then I make my final payment and forget about it. If I believed that it was not a fair value I would cancel the booking rather than make a final payment.

It just does not seem right to me to decide, in arears, whether the price and itinerary were right based on last minute discounting of available cabins.

Hmmmm....twice I saw "No reduction after final payment is made"......well maybe with the TA in the middle but that is NOT what I experianced with HAL direct booking. Please read through my post above. What I'm relating to is the cruise Im sailing on in 3 weeks and what I have written is exactly what happened booking directly with HAL.

Navy Chief, looking back at your posting I have a question:

Were the last reductions in price made after the final payment DEADLINE (usually 90 days out) or were they made after you made final payment, but before the final payment deadline?

You state that your last reduction occured in July, you are traveling in very late November or early December -- July would have been over 90 days out, in all probability, before the final payment deadline.

I stand corrected as I do not believe that it is the payment that stops price reductions, but rather the passing of that final payment deadline date.

This is standard policy with many cruise lines if the promotion is after the final payment date......which is probably why HAL says there is a big penalty for you.

Sadly the OP booked on a sailing that is not selling very well.

This reduced rate is clearly intended to get some more people to book at the last minute ... and for that reason, the OP won't be able to take advantage of it.

On the plus side, however, the OP can take comfort in the fact that he will be getting his choice of cabin while people booking at the last minute will probably have to take "run of ship," meaning they will be assigned in those cabins in their category that are left over; i.e., no one else wanted them for various reasons.

It's all a matter of the luck of the draw. You can book a sailing that sells great ... in which case last minute bookers don't get any special deals, if ... in fact ... they are able to book at all. Or, you can book on a sailing that doesn't do too well, in which case those last minute people are gonna get some killer deals just to fill the ship.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I don't like to pay more for a cruise (or anything else) than I have to. I like bargains as much as the next guy, but like others have said, price is not my biggest concern when shopping for a cruise. I tend to book a price I can live with and then go about the fun of planning and anticipating the cruise in great detail.

Everyone complains these days about how the airlines have cut services to the bone and then kept right on cutting. Getting a meal on a plane is almost unheard of; snacks are sold, not free; pillows and blankets have been removed on many flights. This is a direct result of the fact that, time and again, studies have shown that while people pay lip-service to wanting a full-service flight, when it comes time to book the flight, 95% look for the absolute lowest price they can find that gets them there when they want to get there. Flying passengers won't pay $10 more for a flight that offers amenities; then they spend the entire flight complaining about how service has declined.

The same thing can happen to cruising. Perhaps it already is. There have been many threads on these boards about how HAL and other lines are charging for things that used to be free, or simply not offering the same level of service at all. The last ten years have seen an extraordinary increase in the popularity of cruising. The fastest growth seems to be in the mass-market lines, such as Carnival (and to a lesser extent HAL and other CCL subs), which have stressed ever-larger ships in an effort to push the cost-per-passenger down.

Paul Noble

Margie -- if price is your number one concern then by all means never travel HAL again because it is not their policy to reduce prices after final payment. To get the best price anywhere you may wish to just wait until around or just after those final payment deadlines -- only problem with that is by that time the best cabins have already been assigned to early bookings and occasionally a cruise will book up so completely that you might not make it on board your first choice cruise.

The way I always look at it is if I really want to sail a specific ship or itinerary, and I find one that matches my desires, then I book ahead of time. But, if I find myself with an extra block of vacation time coming up ... nothing in particular to do with it ... and I just am jonesing for a cruise ... any cruise ... then last minute is the best way to go. Try and find something sailing in the next month or so, your favorite line and ship, and see if you can snag a last minute deal. Sometimes, they are amazingly cheap. Even HAL will drop prices into the basement if it means a ship sailing with empty cabins. But, the only problem with last minute is that it is not the way to go if you really absolutely have to have your choice of cabin or even cabin category. If you won't sail in anything but a veranda stateroom ... that could be a problem in that there may be no more veranda staterooms available, and you will have to either go down to an outside cabin, or move up to a luxury suite ... at considerably more than you would have probably spent initially on your veranda stateroom preference.

But there are certainly great deals out there at the last minute ... and you can certainly get them on your preferred cruise line (such as HAL). But you just can't be too picky in terms of itinerary or cabin choice if you want to take advantage of them.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I have a slightly different opinion. I do book usually close to 6 months out. I make the best deal I can at the time. I do check regularly until I pay in full. And with my next HAL cruise, the price reduced shortly after my final payment and I had my TA check and got the same response as OP. But I am happy with the extra cabin credit... And if it drops again, I will check again. Bottom line - anything I get is better than nothing and if I don't get anything at all - thats OK to.

I usually have a total vacation budget, so whatever they give me back gets spent onboard. If I don't get the reduction, then I spend less...

And I have found that all TA's and cruiselines have pretty much the same procedure and the only time that I did have real luck was to include an upgrade at the new lower price...but be careful - upgrade does not always mean upgrade. On one of my calls, the VD cabin selection that would have resulted in a $100.00 reduction was no where near as nice of location as my current VF...

Karen

Speaking of fairness -- I just have to address this issue.

There have been several threads about how HAL promised certain prices on the Noordam and then, after accepting deposits and issuing a confirmed reservation, HAL raised the quoted price. I am not passing judgment here as to whether or not this should have happened, or why it might have happened. What HAL did was to change the promised price. Many posters on these boards have expressed that they felt this to be unfair as they had a contract with HAL.

This OP's complaint is that she is upset that HAL will NOT change her price after she has made a booking contract.

It seems that many here would be happy if HAL would keep to their booking contracts when it is to the advantage of the cruiser, and break their booking contracts when it is to the advantage of the cruiser. Is anyone else bothered by this? How can we have this both ways?

Navy Chief, looking back at your posting I have a question:

Were the last reductions in price made after the final payment DEADLINE (usually 90 days out) or were they made after you made final payment, but before the final payment deadline?

You state that your last reduction occured in July, you are traveling in very late November or early December -- July would have been over 90 days out, in all probability, before the final payment deadline.

I stand corrected as I do not believe that it is the payment that stops price reductions, but rather the passing of that final payment deadline date.

You are quite correct. Our sailings "Final Payment" date was Sept 22 (Sailing is Dec 6). All of this "sale frenzee" and promos were well before that. Also, HAL doesn't charge any fee for cancellation as long as it is before that "Final Payment" date. After that, they charge a percentage by date/timeframes. There were no reductions after July, in fact the price went back up slightly and of course, the promo for the free bus fare was over as well. I had noticed that some TAs were promoting a $100 SBC but the $60 pp Bus fare was much better and I was able to take advantage of this. HAL said it was the Bus Fare or the SBC, not both. Some fellow PAX on our Roll Call were able to take advantage of one or the other. It pays to read the Roll Call :D

Here is my note to myTA who is very good.

I see that the price went down thatt we paid of $5,416. I'm now seeing a price - on your site for $4,747 for booking the same Cat SC an almost $800 difference. Please let me know what you can do. Thanks,

Our reservation

Deluxe Verandah Suite

Category SC - Deck: Upper promenade, Verandah, Upper verandah

Bathroom with dual sink vanity, full-size whirlpool bath and shower and additional shower stall, large sitting area, dressing room, private verandah, and VCR. Two lower beds convertible to a queen size bed, sofa bed for two persons.

there is an $800 now

Reply from TA who I trust

No trouble at all. I wanted to call Holland again on Monday and talk to a supervisor because I felt I got the run-around on Sunday. Holland states in order to take advantage of the promotional code with lower rates it is Holland’s policy to cancel the current reservation and rebook the cruise under the lower promotional code. This would result in a penalty of $2949 that Holland would keep!!

I know this is no consolation prize – but I got Holland to put $50.00 per person shipboard credit on your reservation. (I know……whoopee….it’s the very least they could do.)

I have alway been with Celebrity because they honor these price drops and credit passengers who are booked. I'll think again before i book Holland.

You better check your prices and if your booking now you are getting a great

deal. Not angry just disappointed in HAL's policies.

Margie201

I wonder who got the run around. Two years ago, we booked a suite on the Zuiderdam and it went down 200 pp., so I checked with my online TA and she got the credit for us. We'd already paid the final installment, too, so I will argue that it is not HAL's policy.

Archived