What is a Necktie

Guest Anorak33

Guest Anorak33

On one of our recent cruises a fellow cruiser was turned away from the dining room one evening at dinner as he was apparently improperly dressed in the view of the maitre d.

It was an evening which was classed as informal ie a necktie OR a jacket.

He was wearing smart shirt and pants but a Texas style bolo and not a fabric necktie.

He wasn't too happy, as far as I was concerned it would be fine but what do other members think?

Does a necktie have to be fabric or is a smart decorative bolo acceptable?

Needless to say our cowboy made it known that tipping the maitre d was not going to be an option as far as he was concerned, but then I never do it anyway, they never did me any favours, not that I ever wanted any.

They always seem to just stand there like a stuffed shirt in a supercilious manner looking you up and down as you file into the dining room.

Maybe I am missing something here?

No doubt someone here will enlighten me, please be gentle doing it.

On one of our recent cruises a fellow cruiser was turned away from the dining room one evening at dinner as he was apparently improperly dressed in the view of the maitre d.

It was an evening which was classed as informal ie a necktie OR a jacket.

He was wearing smart shirt and pants but a Texas style bolo and not a fabric necktie.

He wasn't too happy, as far as I was concerned it would be fine but what do other members think?

Does a necktie have to be fabric or is a smart decorative bolo acceptable?

Needless to say our cowboy made it known that tipping the maitre d was not going to be an option as far as he was concerned, but then I never do it anyway, they never did me any favours, not that I ever wanted any.

They always seem to just stand there like a stuffed shirt in a supercilious manner looking you up and down as you file into the dining room.

Maybe I am missing something here?

No doubt someone here will enlighten me, please be gentle doing it.

What is a Necktie

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Necktie

The necktie (or tie) is a long piece of woven or knitted material worn around the neck, under the shirt collar and knotted at the throat with the blades resting on the shirt front. The modern necktie, ascot and bow tie, are descended from the cravat. Ties are mainly worn by men as a regular part of office attire, formal wear or uniform. A few women also wear ties as part of a uniform (e.g. military, school), office attire or as a fashion accessory.

Guest Anorak33

Also from wikipedia however -

A Bola Tie.A bola tie or bolo tie is a type of necktie consisting of a piece of cord fastened with an ornamental bar or clasp. The bola tie was created in 1949 by Vic Cedarstaff in Wickenburg, Arizona and later patented.

In the United Kingdom, bola ties are known as "Bootlace ties". They were popular with 1950s Teddy Boys, who wore them with drape suits.

In the United States bola ties are widely associated with traditional cowboy dress, and are generally most common in the western areas of the country. The bola tie was made the official neckwear of Arizona in 1971.

[edit] Famous bola tie wearers

Gene Roddenberry

Isaac Asimov

Colonel Reb

Abraham Simpson (cartoon character)

George Balanchine

Ben Nighthorse Campbell

Brian Schweitzer

Mayor (The Nightmare Before Christmas)

However I was really asking for cruisers opinions rather than a quote from wikipedia.

Any more takers?

• 2 weeks later...

Being from So Cal I am certainly not an expert but it sounds to me like the gentleman felt he had complied with the "code"...to him he was wearing "a tie" that is customary in his part of the world...I think it was wrong for him to be turned away! Want to have some fun? Post this on the "Fashion Board" and see what the fashion "mavens" come up with ! LuAnn

• 1 month later...

Archived