Why go "Group" and what is "Group"? Looking into cruising....

Sueshi

Hi! I've never cruised before but hope to get my son and hub going in the next 9 months. Money is always an issue but I need great quality so they'll want to go again. Does a "group" cruise offer discounts and if so, how significant? What are the benefits of going "group"? Pricewise, are we better off watching for cruise sales? Also, will travel insurance cover you if we were to decide to be part of a group?

THANK YOU.

Hi,

I would say most of the time you will get a good rate by traveling with a group. Will that rate be lower than the last minute special offered a few weeks before a ship sails, probably not.

Probably the biggest appeal to traveling with a group is the amenities that you get which can be very good depending on the cruiseline and amenity pts offered for a particular sailing or can be not very significant or may not even exist for the same reasons listed above. Also for the reduced deposit of $25 for most lines or $100pp for Royal and Celebrity on a typical 7 night itinerary.

Another appeal to traveling with a group is meeting the people in the group and instantly having a group of friends to enjoy the cruise with if you choose.

My advice is the look at the group section of cruise critic and see if any of the current groups appeal to you. If not you can always start your own group and create a new thread asking for people interested in forming a new group.

And yes you can get travel insurance when traveling with a group either through the cruise line or a travel insurnace company like Travel Guard.

Hope this answers a few of your question:)

I like booking group cruises because of the lower price.. soemtimes its only 50 bucks cheaper--- but 50pp is a lot of money.

Plus the perks. Upcoming I had a group cruise on Elation. Prices were comparative with what was online BUT I got 100.per cabin credit.. PLUS a deposit of olny 25.00 down until March... and people made weekly or monthly payments.

Booking on your own outside of agroup-- you need 250.pp down. a family of 4 would need 1000.00 just to book.

Since Elation changed port I am waiting to see if I can switch my group to the CArnival Liberty-- and keep the same amenities.

Archived