Islands seem boring but beautiful

MsKatee

Whats up with the boring shore excursions?

Unless you want to do water sports there is not much else to do or experience besides beaches at these ports.

Not much interaction with the people on the islands. I've been watching Globe Trekker too long. It would be nice if there were some interaction with the islanders, more than exchanging money. Costumes,, dances, stories etc.

I guess I am not being realistic...the islands are very beautiful but what else. when I go on an island tour I do my best to ask questions.....but most of the tourists don't and I don't get it. It makes it so much more interesting when you know what is going on.

You seem to have a lot of compliants about the cruises you have been on-especially regarding salty food(I read your previous posts).Makes one wonder why you still cruise.DH and I have been on 8 eight cruises so far and eagerly awaiting our next in 2/07.None have been perfect,but we've had a great time on each one.

Just my 2 cents.

I too like to soak in the "real" culture, wherever I travel, but I know that on a cruise that this is not a reality, since you are there such a short time. I cruise for the relaxing time on the ship, the ports are a bonus.

And to be honest, I am willing to bet that alot of people who cruise, would not really want to see the real life on some of these islands, it just may distort their view of paradise, (people living in conditions we consider shacks, restaraunts that are a bit rough around the edges). I guess what I am trying to say, is that giving people the tourist island experience is probably what sells.;)

I would definately take a more interesting tour if offered.

MAC

MsKatee: After reading your previous posts (I believe this is your third thread that you've started) - I have a question for you.. Before you book your cruises, have you researched them? Meaning, what a gty room means, what the ports are and what excursions are available, etc?

As for the excursions being boring - what were you hoping for? For the past 6 years, we've only booked independent tour operators in the islands. In Jamaica, we had a private tour for 2 that took us WAY up into the mountains, gave us a chance to interact with some local Jamaicans, etc. These types of excursions are out there - you just need to find them.

I'm still waiting to hear something truly positive about your trip - yet on one of your other threads you said you enjoyed your vacation?!

You seem to have a lot of compliants about the cruises you have been on-especially regarding salty food(I read your previous posts).Makes one wonder why you still cruise.DH and I have been on 8 eight cruises so far and eagerly awaiting our next in 2/07.None have been perfect,but we've had a great time on each one.

Just my 2 cents.

We have also been on many cruises. We loved them all but the salt on the longer cruises affected me until I did something about it. A noisy room? of course I did'nt like that. I've just have done all my complaints at once.

still happy with cruisin

mskatee

MsKatee: After reading your previous posts (I believe this is your third thread that you've started) - I have a question for you.. Before you book your cruises, have you researched them? Meaning, what a gty room means, what the ports are and what excursions are available, etc?

As for the excursions being boring - what were you hoping for? For the past 6 years, we've only booked independent tour operators in the islands. In Jamaica, we had a private tour for 2 that took us WAY up into the mountains, gave us a chance to interact with some local Jamaicans, etc. These types of excursions are out there - you just need to find them. I'm still waiting to hear something truly positive about your trip - yet on one of your other threads you said you enjoyed your vacation?!

I've enjoyed all my cruises...just that I figured I had a valid complaint ok. I figured we would try the gty room and it just did'nt work out this time but probably will not try again because it is vacation time and don't want anything to ruin it.

As for the excursions....could not get into the NCL excursion page so we figured we would wing it until on board. Your comment on independent tour operators piques my interest. I have noticed in the past that there seemed to be some very interesting excursions you could possibly take on your own but were always warned that ship could leave etc etc...dangers from criminals blah blah blah. I guess I am just a chicken then. Just the two of us and a little older...am sort of a little squeamish about just going off with out a 'sanctioned' trip.

are we talking about salt, gty cabins or islands here and why can't the OP just lump everything together as to his/her cruise experience. For us, the ports are certainly part of our expectations when we choose a cruise. Do we expect an in debth culteral experience in 4 or 5 hours? Of course not, but we do get an overall view and opinion of the islands. If we find one and we have a few we absolutely love we do one of two things: choose to return and spend a few days just doing a land vacation or 2-making certain we cruise to that port again and book a tour that will take in parts of the island we didn't see the first time. Homework is the secret to a successful experience. It sound to me like the OP is just in a gripey mood!!!!! NMNita

I haven't been on as many cruises as most on here, but the only time I booked through the cruiseline excursions was on my first, when I didn't know better.

Since then, I always do my own thing. I have never had a problem being late for the ship, crime, etc. I feel when I am done at the end of the day, I have truly "experienced" the port of call. I just get a taxi or book a tour ahead (on my own) and then I am doing what I want, when I want without the crowds and trying to please everyone in the tour. I have seen the "real" people, their "real" homes, jobs, etc and have learned so many things about the different cultures. I have also have the opportunity on these excursions to see the scenery as well and have never felt rushed. It is the only way to go for me!! I love it!

Don't be afraid, take some advice on the boards here and book something you think you'd like and don't worry, relax and enjoy!!

Remember, if you think negative, negative things come to you...always think "positive" and things will be so much better!!

are we talking about salt, gty cabins or islands here and why can't the OP just lump everything together as to his/her cruise experience. For us, the ports are certainly part of our expectations when we choose a cruise. Do we expect an in debth culteral experience in 4 or 5 hours? Of course not, but we do get an overall view and opinion of the islands. If we find one and we have a few we absolutely love we do one of two things: choose to return and spend a few days just doing a land vacation or 2-making certain we cruise to that port again and book a tour that will take in parts of the island we didn't see the first time. Homework is the secret to a successful experience. It sound to me like the OP is just in a gripey mood!!!!! NMNita

No I am not in a mood.....there were things I was not that pleased with on this trip....do you mind? Why should I be all 'happy' when I did not like a few things. And who said that I have to do them all in one posting....would it have been more to your liking if I posted one long post....

Just my 2 cents.

I wonder why you feel you have to inject sarcasam into your post. Just because YOU did'nt experience what I did does not invalidate it does it...

JMO, but a cruise is the worst possible way to get to know an island, a culture, a people. These port stops dump off a ton of folks at a time and the local vendors have a minimum amount of time to earn what they can. Then te excursions, most of them, herd them like cattle from the ship to the "destination" and back again. Really, would you expect to learn anything at all from this process:confused:

It is like those that tour 13 European cities in 15 days. How can one possibly see and experience anything when it is all a blur?

To discover a place, go there and spend a week. Rent a car and explore. Stay away from the Margaritavilles and other tourist oriented nonsense and try some local food away from the tourist center.

A cruise is what it is and generally only a chance to scratch the surface of any destination.

Katee - I haven't seen any of your other posts (probably don't need to after seeing the response here).;)

Anyhoo - just wanted to say that not everyone goes on excursions, mundane or not. I, for one, research each port before leaving home. I often stay on the ship, as that's my main reason for cruising, not the ports. I've been to almost every Caribbean island, plus, anyway.

What I do look for is local culture, local cuisine - not tourist traps and famous bars. I often take a cab to areas where the artisans are working on their trade. It's more interesting to me to see the 'souveniers' being made. I also usually find some locals that I've engaged in conversation, and we often have lunch. They definitely know where the best food is!

After my first few cruises, I knew where I wanted to spend more time. Most of my travels have been flying to different islands/countries - and that way I'm assured of actually getting the 'whole', rather than only a few hours.

Hope your future vacations - cruises or land - are more enjoyable to you.:)

Whats up with the boring shore excursions?

Unless you want to do water sports there is not much else to do or experience besides beaches at these ports.

Not much interaction with the people on the islands. I've been watching Globe Trekker too long. It would be nice if there were some interaction with the islanders, more than exchanging money. Costumes,, dances, stories etc.

I guess I am not being realistic...the islands are very beautiful but what else. when I go on an island tour I do my best to ask questions.....but most of the tourists don't and I don't get it. It makes it so much more interesting when you know what is going on.

We always research our island and know in advance what we might want to do. We often go out into the island with independent operators and always with a group of friends from the ship-never alone. We go early and allow plenty of time so as not to miss the ship. We have met some interesting folks and have seen many beautiful areas that otherwise we would not have known about. So if you're not enjoying your excursions, maybe you need to put a little more work into it.

If you research on the ports of call boards for the islands that you will be visiting, there is a wealth of info re independent tour operators or guides that others have used with good results. They are typically less expensive than the ship's excursions and will aloow you to tailor a tour of the island to what you want to do. You'll be able to stop where you want to take pictures or to shop and you won't be herded around like cattle.

Cruise passengers are these folks' bread and butter so they will make certain that you get back in plenty of time. We typically take our tours in the morning and then get back to the port city early afternoon and maybe have lunch locally and do our shopping then.

If it is an all day excursion or you are going far from the port city then you may want to consider the ship's excursions, but other than that , branch out on your own. It is SO much nicer.

If you research on the ports of call boards for the islands that you will be visiting, there is a wealth of info re independent tour operators or guides that others have used with good results. They are typically less expensive than the ship's excursions and will aloow you to tailor a tour of the island to what you want to do. You'll be able to stop where you want to take pictures or to shop and you won't be herded around like cattle.

Cruise passengers are these folks' bread and butter so they will make certain that you get back in plenty of time. We typically take our tours in the morning and then get back to the port city early afternoon and maybe have lunch locally and do our shopping then.

If it is an all day excursion or you are going far from the port city then you may want to consider the ship's excursions, but other than that , branch out on your own. It is SO much nicer.

WE do exactly the same: morning tour, usually about 4 or 5 hours max: shopping near the pier and maybe lunch or lunch on the ship, depending. One time we did an all day tour in Dominica, it was wonderful til the last 45 minutes or so. We almost missed the ship. Now, we will consider a ship tour if the we expect to be touring more than 5 hours. I love the private tours. NMNita

Archived