Booking via Carnival SeaMiles: BIG mistake!

DGP1111

This may have already been a subject on CC, and I apologize for that (please give me a break - I'm still new here). In my recent monthly statement from Carnival SeaMiles they advertise 'Quad Points' on future CCL cruise booked before end of November. 4 points per dollar rather than the usual 2. I absolutely adore my regular TA (who's a perfectionist about vacation planning) but the offer was too good to resist, so I called to book my May Elation sailing. Yep, on the first voyage to be cancelled due to repositioning. CCL has certainly made it's share of goofs about the change, and readily admits those, but said there was nothing they could do without it first going through SeaMiles for rebooking. Multiple calls took place w/ a total of 6 different SM agents, who ALL initially asked the same 2 questions: "Why did Carnival cancel your sailing?" & "Elation is doing what??" Both of the people I spoke w/ during the last hour asked those, and one asked for the 2nd day in a row. I was under the impression that somehow SM was much more connected w/ CCL than is actually the case. This truly is a room full of dim bulbs, and I rarely EVER make a blanket statement like that.

SeaMiles is in Arizona, and CCL in Florida. The "person you have to speak with" is only in AZ in the afternoon (FL time), and the department at CCL they have to coordinate with shuts down at 5:00, so this is becoming quite the circus I didn't plan on. Each has actually blamed the other for all confusion. I asked for a specific sailing to be put on hold as replacement (because cabins are going fast due to the fact other displaced Elationites choosing that sailing), and they said "Nope, no can do until that dept at CCL agrees". Despite the fact original cruise was paid full in cash, they said I'd have to put down a deposit to hold anything. Ridiculous as that was, I agreed in order to secure my space. Was put on hold, and then told "Nope, you can't do that either since you're pre-paid" ~Please avoid the dim bulbs and stick w/ your TA or PVP!! I've learned my lesson, for sure.

Hi Don

I booked my last cruise with Sea Miles and I was suppose to get triple points but I actually only got double points... When I called them they said there was a problem with the system and I would get the additional points on my next statement... when my next statement arrived I only received 42 of my additional 1500 points ... To this date nothing has been done... so good luck on getting those quad points... The double points showed up with no problem but the rest who knows... I booked my recent cruise with Vacations to go and got my double points and a lower rate than I would have received with Seamiles... so I'm sure I came out ahead this time since Seamiles couldn't get me all the extra points they promised on my July cruise...

Let that be a lesson for anyone wanting to use points...

I only use credit cards that give you cash... to spend how you want. I get well over $600 cash each year. No special TA's I have to deal with, no black out dates, no problems what so ever... because I get cash... good old USA currency... to spend how I want on a cruise, or at home depot, or a few nice dinners out with my Lovely Bride...

I just got a Discover card, shows that I get 5% cash back when purchasing RC or Carnival Cruises....haven't used it yet so I can't tell you how great it is, but for those of you looking into some sort of reward card it might be worth checking into. Also offered 0% balance transfers and 0% purchases for 12 months.

Archived