Coral Princess - tell me about her

ISABELLA

We are planning a Panama cruise on Coral and I've read that she is Sun class ship. We've sailed many times on Grand class and love those ships. How much do you like the Coral? Does the Lotus pool area have a roof? How was food and service on your last cruise on Coral. And any opinions on their current entertainment will be great. Please share your thoughts. I know I can rely on fellow cruise addicts.

Thank you all.

Isabella

Coral Princess is quite a nice ship. She and her sister, Island, were built for the Canal.

Although Princess sometimes lumps her into the Sun class - that is not very accurate.

She is of an entirely different design - different hull, different propulsion system, different superstructure, similar passenger load, and built in a different country by a different shipbuilder. Sun and her sister built by Fincantieri, Italy, while Coral & Island built by Chantiers (now Aker), France.

If you pick up a couple of brochures featuring Coral and Sun, you can readily see the differences, both in appearance and layout.

Here's a good place to start. This is from the Princess web site.

Coral Princess is a newer and different design than the Sun-class ships. Princess lumps it and the Island together with the older Sun-class ships because they are of a similar size. In many ways, Coral Princess will be more like Grand Princess, at least in terms of how the cabins are configured. You have similar minisuites and balcony cabins, for example.

We are planning a Panama cruise on Coral and I've read that she is Sun class ship. We've sailed many times on Grand class and love those ships. How much do you like the Coral? Does the Lotus pool area have a roof? How was food and service on your last cruise on Coral. And any opinions on their current entertainment will be great. Please share your thoughts. I know I can rely on fellow cruise addicts.

Thank you all.

Isabella

GM Isabella,

Check this out:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=431670

We just completed 2 B2B Panama Canal Cruises on the LOVELY CORAL 11/12 & this is 29 pages of Great Current info on Her from "Stem to Stern"!:D

Let me know if it helps, it's all there, Dinners, excusions, entertainment, etc.;)

My Best & Enjoy your cruise on the Lovely CORAL!:) Bill

The Coral is a great ship. There is such a low density of pax compared to the amount of space on this ship. There are never crowds. You will find that it has the amenities of the Grand Class ships without the number of pax. You can't not enjoy the Coral.

I knew I can count on you.

Thank you so much.

P.S. Bill,

World cruise is my life's dream. I am sure you will have time of your life, but, please don't forget about us, who can't do it yet...............let us how wonderful the trip is.

Isabella

Check out my pics by clicking on the link below (no ads, no pop ups) Go to Sea One and Sea Two for pics of the beautiful Coral Princess. We loved this ship!! Very different from the Sun Class ships!!!!

Cheers, Denise

What category room was this? We have AA mini suite and trying too imagine what it will be like. Thank you for any info.

What category room was this? We have AA mini suite and trying too imagine what it will be like. Thank you for any info.

We loved this mini because it was covered. We just don't like seeing other balconies and love looking directly into the water :)

Cheers, Denise

best. ship. ever.

Just got off her, did the PC 1st leg w/ Bill (JotWorld-hi Bill!).

A can't miss/don't miss. Personally I recommend those BAs on the Caribe - depends on what you like. We preferred the bigger balcony to the extra space in the room, and didn't accept an upgrade to a mini. Whatever room you book, you'll have the time of your life.

Thank you all.

Isabella

I can fill in a little about the Entertainment part of your question. The Coral and Island have the Universe Lounge at the Aft end, which is a very cool space. Unfortunatley it only seats 500 people (and the balcony seats aren't very good), but they usually do 3 shows of Tribute, which is an amazing show (music of Beatles, Beach Boys, Rat Pack and a Diva section).

I'm not sure what other shows are on board anymore (it's been almost 3 years since I was last on it), but I'm they are usually very good. Lots of S@S programs all around as well. There is no Skywalkers nightclub - after 10:30ish, the Explorer's Lounge turns into the Disco. A little cramped, but a good time.

I really enjoyed my time on the Coral. It was my favorite Princess ship.

Corals' only problem is that she does not make enough money! 92,000 tons and 1970 passengers. It seems that four of this class were ordered, but only two built. Princess went back to 'Grand [read crowded] Class'.

Coral is by far the best ship that I have sailed on, there could be others, but I do not have the time, or money to find them. john

:) Beautiful Ship! You'll love her.

Sailed last year Christmas/New Years cruise to Pc and absolutely felt it was one of our best cruises. Had balcony cabin BA/port side/caribe deck. Opted for the larger balcony than mini suite. Was not disappointed. Balcony was partially covered and partially opened and our cabin steward graciously provided us with lounge chairs. As for entertainment, it was so-so. Not much for variety shows but comedians were wonderful. Ports of call great, food better than past Princess cruises, service was top notch throughout the ship. Lotus pool area had retractable glass roof and was very attractive.

The only negative statement that I make is that they changed the itinerary for this holiday season opting for a 7 day Christmas and 10 day New Years cruise. Disappointing to us, would have loved to take same cruise for holidays this year. Instead it's off on Sun Princess for 10 day Christmas Cruise(did Sun 10 day New Years 2004). I feel that when you find a good thing, you stick with it. This will be our 5th Princess cruise during the holiday season in a row and have never been disappointed, so I say to you, whichever you choose, go for it-sit back-relax-enjoy - you won't be disappointed either.

Happy Cruising

Thank you all again.

I am already loving this ship. Now I have to wait 5 months. And we just came back from the cruise. I guess we really " hate" cruising. My DH already asking about it.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone and safe travels.

Keep cruising.

P.S. One if the reason to go to work is to pay for another cruise.

I work on Princess and the Coral is wonderful. The longest ship is the fleet, she still maintains an intimate feeling. Her chef is one of the best. He was about three cabins from me and took me on the tour of the Galley. The cookies are PERFECTION. She is clean and very friendly. I don't know who will be working when you are on but just know that she is a favorite among those that work on Princess.

My favourite Princess ship so far. Unlike the sun class, the balconies are glass and generally have at least enough room for a table and four chairs.

The Lotus pool has a retractable glass roof, allowing it to be used in comfort even in bad weather.

The spa has a four stone lounger thermal suite, with three small steam grottos and two rainforest showers. If only they would have agreed to bring me my meals there, I could have lived in it, scuttling out to the pool for a cool dip from time to time. :D

The only disappointment for me was the Bayou Cafe - I love creole cooking, but the cafe was not up to my expectations. It was ok, but just ok.

Not quite accurate when you say there were 4 of the Coral class ordered.

Two ordered and built, with an option, not exercised, for two more.

Princess (and then parent P&O) have never been enamored with ships built by Chantiers, St. Nazaire, France, and the initial problems with the rudder design/wallowing gait of Coral/Island convinced them to go back to Fincantieri, Italy, for more ships of the Grand class.

I'm sure that economy of scale did enter the reasoning to not exercise the option, also.

Archived