Ft. Lauderdale Boarding/Check In Process

KimNLyssCruisin

Hello.

If there are any cruisers experienced in sailing out of Fort Lauderdale, Florida....

I am wondering if anyone can shed some light on the check-in/boarding process from this port?

I read on other cc posts that "the lines are longer in FLL" -- according to poster this is "because there is no separate security line for VIPs and/or platinum members." But there is a VIP check in.

Is this information correct?

If so, any advice as to the best time to arrive at the Port in Fort Lauderdale to avoid the longer lines?

We are traveling with a group of 14 and sailing on the Liberty on 12/23/06. I am betting that since this is a holiday sailing -- the lines will be extra long!

So any thoughts/advice is appreciated!

Kim

Thanks for the heads up on Embarktion process....about what I expected.

Anyone out there with any thoughts or advice relative to check in?

What is the best time to arrive at port before a holiday sailing?

Can any confirm that there "is not a separate security line for those booked in VIP suites and/or platinum cruisers?" Only a VIP check in room?

Appreciate your help.

;)

We were on the Liberty in Feb. Had no trouble boarding. We came right from the airplane, got there about 10:00. Went and checked our luggage right away then went inside and stood for maybe half and hour at most. Then we were checked in and taken into a big room to sit and wait. They did seperate the platanum cruisers from the rest in there, and they got to sit on a seperate side of the room and board first. About 11:30 we were allowed on the ship. They said the rooms would not be ready until after 1:00. It was a very pleasant experience. I would suggust to go early. I heard from others that came around noon or later, and they had to wait outside in the sun for awhile.

It seemed like we had the ship to ourselves for the first hour and a half.

You will love the ship. We loved it so much we are going back.

Thanks, Bill.

I will share your thoughts and suggestion with our group.

At the moment we are divided as to what the optimal time to arrive and check in is -- especially given our sailing is a holiday sailing!

So if anyone else out there has other thoughts or suggestions and is knowledgeable about Fort Lauderdale -- we are open!

Best,

Kim

You'll have to let us know when you get back, we don't go until February.arggggggggggggg seems so far away. In the meantime, go to the holiday forum, and check out my version of jingle bells..it's sure to get you guys in the mood for your cruise:p Have fun on your trip, and be sure to let us know how it goes:)

We were on the Liberty in February. We tend to arrive after embarkation has started (so if it's 1-4, we'll get there at 2 or 2:30 pm). We boarded at the start of President's Week- very busy, right? Well there were NO LINES. It was so quiet, they were training someone as we checked-in -- so it took us 2 extra minutes so they could explain things to her (no big deal!).

I do want to add that we were already in Ft. Lauderdale. I would never arrive day-of. But we got to enjoy our hotel in the am, then head down to the port.

Have fun!

Appreciate everyone's input.

Looks like the concensus of the group is to "play it by ear." There are those who will opt for the get there early option -- while others (teens and young adults) who like to sleep in -- so they'll go late. We figure everyone can just meet up after they check in. :cool:

We were on the Liberty in February. We tend to arrive after embarkation has started (so if it's 1-4, we'll get there at 2 or 2:30 pm). We boarded at the start of President's Week- very busy, right? Well there were NO LINES. It was so quiet, they were training someone as we checked-in -- so it took us 2 extra minutes so they could explain things to her (no big deal!).

I do want to add that we were already in Ft. Lauderdale. I would never arrive day-of. But we got to enjoy our hotel in the am, then head down to the port.

Have fun!

it was nice to read your good news. we are traveling during pres wk '07 and after going through what we went through for flights, i am expecting total chaos, and am hoping i don't regret cruising at this time! i tried to do the right thing by school and take a cruise during a legit break (have always pulled them out or cruised during summer), but flights have us pulling them out 2 days early anyway! i don't think i'll ever do this again. if i have to pull 'em out for 2 days, i might as well pull 'em out for 4 or 5 and save tons of money on my airfare!

We were just on the Legend last week. We got to the port around 11:30 after hotel checkout. I know we're not technically supposed to arrive until 1 for check-in, but having luggage and no where else to go we usually arrive at the ports around this time and don't mind waiting once we get rid of our luggage - we're going on a cruise so its hard to dampen our spirits! That said, there was very little direction from Carnival staff as to where to go first. We went to the one line we saw and when we got to the front, we were told we needed to get our s&s cards first and to go to another line. We went around the building to that line and as soon as we were next in line, they closed that line and went to move indoors for check-in. We were then told to move to the line we were in originally. This whole time, someone from Carnival named Alexander was yelling at a bunch of guests that they were in the wrong line and to go to the back of this line. He should not be a representative of Carnival. One of our party spoke with a supervisor and explained our experiences thus far and she had us go through xray and wait in another area. I think they eventually moved us through after the VIP guests, but I'm not sure. It was a bit of a nightmare, but worked out in the end.

I agree, Sheri. No one knew where to go for VIP or CVC. One of us was told one thing; another something else (by the same person!):confused: . We didn't see any signs although there was a different door to go through for the VIPs & CVC'ers. As you said, it all worked out but it definitely was not a smooth operation. My advise - If someone tells you to go through the inside line, ask again & again to double check be sure that they are correct.

Archived