Mercury in need of update?

oceanview585

Will be on our first X cruise on Mercury for trip to Aust/NZ. Have read disconcerting reviews regarding aging ship in need of good cleaning and update. (mold in sholwers, woodwork needing redo, worn carpets). Does anyone know if one is scheduled? I read somewhere it is due for a dry dock visit in 2007 but does that mean a general refreshing?

We just returned a few days ago from the 10/30 cruise on Mercury. IMHO, most of the fuss is overblown. I must admit that I am not the type of person to look closely at the carpet or upholstery for signs of wear (especially after a couple of martinis), but I WOULD be bothered by mold or other signs of lack of cleanliness and I never saw anything of the sort.

We got to know Fabio (our assistant maitre d') and Mario (the restaurant manager). They were telling us that a lot of things are scheduled to be replaced on a rotating basis before the Australian cruises. For example, Fabio was a bit irritated that the cart they used for liquers was getting worn out, but i never would have noticed it if he had not pointed it out.

Bottom line, relax and enjoy. Mercury is probably my favorite of the Celebrity ships, small enough for personal attention, but large enough for most of the nice amenities. My only complaint is that the martini bar is too small (but somehow, that never managed to stop me!)

Linda

Will be on our first X cruise on Mercury for trip to Aust/NZ. Have read disconcerting reviews regarding aging ship in need of good cleaning and update. (mold in sholwers, woodwork needing redo, worn carpets). Does anyone know if one is scheduled? I read somewhere it is due for a dry dock visit in 2007 but does that mean a general refreshing?

Oceanview 585

Just booked Mercury the same Cruise for January 20th,2008

We are also booked on the Mercury on January 29,2007 Mexican Riviera

This will be our first Cruise with Celebirty amd the Mercury

It is to go in to dry dock to get b/4 Australia New Zeland

We will let all know what we think after we return from Mexico

STUR DAYTON,OHIO

:) Good evening,

Drydock scheduled for Mid April 2007, 2 weeks, then Alaska season, then off to the south Pacific.

You'll be fine.

Yes, she's somewhat tired but very well looked after on a sailing to sailing basis.

Happy sailings

Claude G

:D

We also just returned from the 10/30 cruise on the Mercury. It was our first Celebrity cruise and we had read all of the contradicting reviews of the ship. She is showing signs of wear, but aren't we all. Nothing that some new carpet, upholstery and varnish wouldn't cure. The bedding was somewhat lacking, but after we requested and received a mattress pad and feather pillows, we didn't have any complaints.

The rooms had more storage than all of the ships that we had previously sailed on, rooms a little smaller, but not as noticable because of a place for everything. No mold or mildew or odors in our interior cabin.

Outside deck railings needed to be refinished, but nothing major.

According to staff, the ship is do for two weeks of dry dock as mentioned by claud g and stur, so I am sure that by the time you get on her, she will be good as new.

Look forward to your cruise and don't worry, you will have a great time! We would love to sail on her again.

• 2 months later...
Oceanview 585

Just booked Mercury the same Cruise for January 20th,2008

We are also booked on the Mercury on January 29,2007 Mexican Riviera

This will be our first Cruise with Celebirty amd the Mercury

It is to go in to dry dock to get b/4 Australia New Zeland

We will let all know what we think after we return from Mexico

STUR DAYTON,OHIO

Stu

Let us know on our other list Sydney Aukland

David

Just off Mercury on Jan. 29th, she's a beautiful ship, you may notice on some (very few) seat cuchions needing repair other than that I thought everything was wonderful.

Truly if you are enjoying yourself, like I was you only see the best she has to offer, you will have no problems I can assure you. Have the best time ;)

Archived