Bonus for Statendam Cruisers ....

chlo

Antarctica has come to the Otago coastline (the Statendam will be there at Port Chalmers, Dunedin in about 12 hours) in the form of icebergs!!!

The icebergs can currently be seen from Dunedin ...

http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/488120/894087

bummer chio, got off the Statendam in Ak on the 27th, but with a bit of luck they will probably be on the other side of Rangi by next week, its been cold enuf of late.....................

Antarctica has come to the Otago coastline (the Statendam will be there at Port Chalmers, Dunedin in about 12 hours) in the form of icebergs!!!

Sad really Chio, they just aren't interested in something that is almost unique, has not happened for many, many years. Also the Statendam has had a bomb scare on board or a really lousy crossing on the Tasman Sea, who knows perhaps the ship will hit the iceberg that would sure as hell make them take notice, (kidding lol)

Sad really Chio, they just aren't interested in something that is almost unique, has not happened for many, many years....... (kidding lol)

Hi, remember we're all HAL cruisers here, we go to bed early!;) Right now, it's after 10 pm on the west coast of North America, and 1 am on the east coast. We'll be excited tomorrow. Since you're already in tomorrow, you start the excitement for us. I think icebergs off the south coast of NZ is pretty nifty, too.:)

Thanks for posting the link. We board Statendam next week in Auckland. I wonder if the icebergs will still be there then?

We have been having crazy weather in this part of the world though.

Steve.

Hi, remember we're all HAL cruisers here, we go to bed early!;) Right now, it's after 10 pm on the west coast of North America, and 1 am on the east coast. We'll be excited tomorrow. Since you're already in tomorrow, you start the excitement for us. I think icebergs off the south coast of NZ is pretty nifty, too.:)

Hang on Chio posted this 24 hours ago, and no one picked up on it, if I hadn't posted again it would have been totally lost. Statendam has been having some real fun, I had an email from the ship this afternoon. I felt like a HAL ship comes down under and no one really cares.

Thanks for posting the link. We board Statendam next week in Auckland. I wonder if the icebergs will still be there then?

We have been having crazy weather in this part of the world though.

Steve.

I see your an Aussie, I am afraid our bad weather and Statendam's hard trip across the ditch has come from bad weather coming norwest from the Queensland coast, very strange weather pattern. The Statendam sits very high in the water not sure why, we came down on her from Vancouver last month, and at the time my hubby said he didn't think he would like to be on her in really rough weather, and I guess only Kiwis and Aussies really know what the Tasman can be like.

OK Well I am off to bed now, so will see if we get anymore excitement by my morning. Night, night

I see your an Aussie, I am afraid our bad weather and Statendam's hard trip across the ditch has come from bad weather coming norwest from the Queensland coast, very strange weather pattern. The Statendam sits very high in the water not sure why, we came down on her from Vancouver last month, and at the time my hubby said he didn't think he would like to be on her in really rough weather, and I guess only Kiwis and Aussies really know what the Tasman can be like.

Hi,

Do you have any more detail about the crossing? I'd love to hear about it in detail.

We have made the crossing twice, with smooth conditions both times. Maybe this time......;) .

Steve.

who knows perhaps the ship will hit the iceberg that would sure as hell make them take notice, (kidding lol)

Not funny, some of us have children working on that ship and others have friends and family on board.

But only kidding Judyjay, there is much hilarity here over it in NZ, for sale on Trademe and some of the comments are very funny.

Apparently it was visible from the ship yesterday morning around 4 am, so once seen no way they would drive into it. Shame most people were still snoring and would have missed it.

Wonder which one of the crew is your child, they were a really fun bunch of kids on board, just loved them.

Hi,

Do you have any more detail about the crossing? I'd love to hear about it in detail.

We have made the crossing twice, with smooth conditions both times. Maybe this time......;) .

Steve.

No that is all I got, probably won't get the low down till ship reaches Auckland next Friday.

No doubt that the weather is still very unsettled, when we came down on her the last day out from NZ bound for the Bay of Islands, we had some big swells and the Statendam seemed to be making hard work of that, we were about 1 1/2 hours late arriving in port.

I hope you don't get a bad crossisng Cands.

Chivalry girl,

Sorry if I over reacted. I haven't seen my daughter in 7 months. She is scheduled to come home after this cruise and the thought of anything like that happening just upset me. Not seeing her for that long has made me a little cranky. When I read this post about the icebergs I did e-mail her to ask her to take pictures if she saw them. If the ship passed them at 4a.m. I doubt she'll have any pictures, but one can hope. I talked (IM'd) her a few days ago while they were at sea. She said it was so rockey, the worst in the year she's been working for HAL. Maybe that will make her want to stay on land for a while. I doubt it, she loves her job. My daughter is the lead singer with the cast. By the way she sure does love New Zealand and Australia.

We were in Antarctica on Royal Princess during New Year 2005. The bridge operates extra lookouts for Icebergs and uses every technical gadget to ensure the safety of the ship.

It is a wonderful experience seeing the 'bergs from onboard.

Here's a sample from that trip:

255691147_fdf1da7a06_o.jpg

Chivalry girl,

Sorry if I over reacted. I haven't seen my daughter in 7 months. She is scheduled to come home after this cruise and the thought of anything like that happening just upset me. Not seeing her for that long has made me a little cranky. When I read this post about the icebergs I did e-mail her to ask her to take pictures if she saw them. If the ship passed them at 4a.m. I doubt she'll have any pictures, but one can hope. I talked (IM'd) her a few days ago while they were at sea. She said it was so rockey, the worst in the year she's been working for HAL. Maybe that will make her want to stay on land for a while. I doubt it, she loves her job. My daughter is the lead singer with the cast. By the way she sure does love New Zealand and Australia.

Thats OK I never intended to upset anybody, I also have friends on board the ship, but I also knew there was no way the ship was going to have an encounter with icebergs either has shipping had been well warned and there are only 2 that are off the coast of Otago.

I know what you mean about missing our children, my son is now working in DC he flew off to US the evening of my fathers funeral back in early January to take up a great opportunity, he has been living in an apartment very close to the White House and that has left me uneasy for many months. He is coming home for a few days at Xmas and I will be all upset when he leaves again. However we cannot stop our children from taking such wonderful opportunities when they are offered to them. Guess as the say "thats life"

Archived