Where to go from Civitavecchia?

My DH and I are looking for alternate ideas other than Rome for when we doc in Civitavecchia...any ideas?

We have found some info on Tarquinia (15 minutes away from port by train) and Ostia Antica, but we can't figure out how to get to Ostia Antica from the port. If anyone knows how that may help also.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks! :)

I found a great site called virtualtourist.com that has a lot of information on place in the Lazio area around Rome. If you look for the message forums, you want the Lazio thread. We are thinking about Viterbo, which is reachable by bus or train. You will find information on how to get to Ostia at the virtual tourist site. I would have loved to go to either Tarquinia or Ostia Antica but we will be there on a Monday, and the archeological sites are closed on Mondays.

ToniL - thanks for the info...why did you choose Viterbo? Is there anything notable there or is it just a nice small town? Do you know how long it takes to get there from Civitavecchia?

I have checked out virtualtourist.com, but the only directions they give to get to Ostia are through Rome...I was trying to avoid having to go to Rome to get there, I thought there might be a more direct route.

Thanks again!

I found some information on day trips at http://www.concierge.com/destination/rome/features/Editorial/Feature/data/rome/fodors/SideTripsfromRome.xml/ and Viterbo sounded like it had a lot to see, even on a Monday. I searched the COTRAL website and it looks like buses take about 1 1/2 hours. Tarquinia would be an easier trip by train, but I'm not sure if there is enough to do with the tombs being closed. This is a good website for searching train schedules - http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en?newrequest=yes&protocol=http:& It shows Civ. to Tarq. but not Ostia so I doubt there is a direct train. But it does show a train to Ostiense, which is closeby I think. I bet you could do it with a transfer. I would try posting a question at Virtual tourist. It seems like a good place to get a specific answer. I got some information on taking a bus from Malaga to Granada there. We aren't travelling until October, I hope you are going earlier and will have exciting stories to share!

Just a thought. Civitivechia is quite a nice seaside town itself. If you know Rome already and want a day's rest, you could stay there. It is a beach resort with the usual restaurants and bars.

Cinnamon

ToniL - thanks for that extra info, the article is really in depth and I will need to read it fully before I make any final decisions. As for finding directions, you're right, I think I should post on Virtual Tourist. We are on BOS Aug 18th and really looking forward to it! I will share when we return!

Cinnamon - If you can, please elaborate...all of the things that I have heard are that Civ. is an industrial town and there's nothing to do there. Do you know the names of any of the beaches/resorts in particular? Is it a really small town? My husband may find this more appealing and relaxing since he'll have to go back to work 2 days later.

Thanks!

• 1 year later...

I was just on a cruise in oct. i used stefano from rome cabs for pick up to and from rome. he was very knowledgeable about the towns near civattica. He is like a history teacher that you like. I am sure you could arrange a couple hour tour that would be very interesting. He knows the area very well. as other post will tell you, he is the best.

The train still runs from Rome to Ostia Antica. We call it the "grafitti express" for obvious reasons. I don't know for sure, but I would be very surprised if Ostia Antica is closed on Mondays. If I recall correctly, it's an open site, so I don't know how they would close it. There are guides for hire at the gate. We hired Umberto, and his English was good. He has worked there as a guide for over 20 years and charged about 40 Euros for 6 of us. If the weather is good, this is a beautiful site and is a great side trip, but I haven't been there from Civitavecchia so don't know how feasible that is (we went twice from Rome).

I've sailed to and from Civitavecchia numerous times (at least 9 that I can count off the top of my head) and would not recommend it to anyone. I agree with the opinions that it is a dirty industrial port but have been to the beach too and was not impressed. The shopping is not good either. There are too many nice areas in that part of Italy to spend more than an hour or two in Civitavecchia in my opinion. Seems like I read a thread about a couple going to a winery in the area, so maybe a search of these boards will turn up that option.

Happy travels to all,

Donna

• 2 weeks later...

How far is this from Rome. Did your tour guide pick you up at the port and then drive to Rome for the day. Was this Stefano....I would like a E-mail address...the one that has been posted didn't work for me. Thanks for any info. Sandy

Archived