Questions on QM2 Cat D3 Inside Cabins

ezcruzer

We had a D8 GTY and have just been assigned a D3 Inside cabin on Deck 9. Is this really an upgrade? Is there anything besides location that makes D3 a better category than D8? Most descriptions I've seen have the exact same wording to describe all inside categories. I assume D3 is still around 155 sq ft. Also, do these cabins have refrigerators, hair dryers, robes. There is a website that showed that the inside cabins did not have these amenities. Thanks for any information you can provide.

All Britannia grade cabins have 'fridge, hairdryer, robes. If you get slippers let us know because several people I've spoken to have said they never saw them, I certainly didn't get any (but then again I didn't request them). 155 sq feet sounds about right. If you're on deck 9 (in one of the four cabins off the short corridor forward) you're really handy for my favorite bar on board, The Commodore Club. The laundrette is one deck up above you, you're very handy for the elevators to the Royal Court Theatre and Illuminations and the outside scenic elevators to deck 7's spa and Kings Court.

Have a great voyage.

I know there is a frig & hairdryers in the balcony rooms. There was

one in our "hull hole" balcony, robes too. I tried another web page

for cabin sizes, that site showed D8 as 157 square feet and D3 as

194 square feet. If that is correct then YES you got the upgrade.

One way to look at it ezcruser, is that you have only PAID for a D8 and have been asigned a D3. D3 are several hundred dollars more per cabin; in my mind thats a genuine up grade as you are getting something you have not paid for. There is no pleasing some people;)

We actually have a D3 on 10 deck for our upcoming cruise and chose that particular inside cabin as it is away from the 'masses' and has a laundry on that deck.

Shellie x

Pepper - there were no slippers to be had, my room steward said he was told there was a delay in the shipment. I wouldn't be surprised to see them not re-appear. You might call it "Carnivalization".

I had an upgrade last year on an inside from Deck 4 to an inside on Deck 11. There is no difference once inside the cabin and for those prone to motion sickness going up might not be a good idea.

Linda

Thank you all for the inforrmation. This board is such a great resource.

Shellie, believe me I'm "pleased" no matter what. We'll be on the QM2 for the first time this Saturday and are very much looking forward to it. I was just curious what to expect in the D3 Cat. room.

Peppern do the regular elevators and the scenic elevators both stop at Deck 9?

Thank you all for the inforrmation. This board is such a great resource.

Shellie, believe me I'm "pleased" no matter what. We'll be on the QM2 for the first time this Saturday and are very much looking forward to it. I was just curious what to expect in the D3 Cat. room.

Peppern do the regular elevators and the scenic elevators both stop at Deck 9?

Hi ezcruzer

Yes they do. The outside scenic elevators stop at decks 7 8 9 and 11. Deck 7 - Gym, Spa, Winter Garden, Kings Court. Deck 8 - beauty salon (port side) and directly into the Library (starboard). Deck 9 - where, on both sides of the ship, the doors can be found inside the Commodore Club. Deck 11 - outside of the Atlantic Room and the doors to the observation area below the bridge. They only stop at Deck 10 for those passengers staying in the two suites located here (who have keys). You have to look around for the doors to these elevators (many miss them). The regular elevators in the bank just forward of your cabin run from deck 2 (sometimes called deck 3L) forward of the illuminations cinema, to deck 13, the observation area above the bridge. These elevators call at all decks including deck 10.

Hope this helps, read my review "Westbound Crossing 24th September 2006" on this board (at present on the first page) for further information or ask me here. See also my photos on http://community.webshots.com/user/pepperrn

Have a great voyage.

Hi Pepper,

I started to read your report but didn't get too far. I guess there's a fine line between wanting to learn of any tips, features, hidden surprises, etc. so as not to miss them and the fun of discovering some of this yourself. I think from some reading on this board so far I've learned "just enough".

One question, however. You mentioned wanting to feel the motion of the ship and selected your cabin somewhat based on this. How did this turn out? Was there much motion there? Since our cabin is also towards the front of the ship and not on one of the lower decks, do you think there would be much motion there? The reason I ask is my wife does not handle that real well. Plus, she does not like taking any kind of pill for this, if not necessary, so she waits until she sees how she feels and then takes something. On about half the cruises we've been on she's been fine (no crossings) and did not have to take anything. We'll be in the caribbean so we do not expect any rough seas.

Hi Pepper, One question. You mentioned wanting to feel the motion of the ship and selected your cabin somewhat based on this. How did this turn out? Was there much motion there? Since our cabin is also towards the front of the ship and not on one of the lower decks, do you think there would be much motion there?

Hi ezcruer

First, the "good" news. On all but one day I could feel no (or very, very little) movement in the cabin. On these calm days you had to stand very still and really concentrate to feel the ship move (closing your eyes helped). Even then, manytimes, you couldn't feel the bow pitch. Walking around as normal in the cabin and rooms towards the bow on calm days, you were totally unaware of being at sea, she's that stable. I repeat, she's very, very stable. THE most stable ship I've ever been on. I never felt any rolling, ie, side to side movement (the stabilisers cured that). However, on one night and a day, due to long, slow, 27 feet swells, you were aware of pitching. ie, the bow and stern rising and falling. During the night, if I awoke, I was aware of my head and feet rising or falling in my bed, caused by this movement. Remember, the beds in the balcony cabins face fore and aft whereas the inside cabins have beds that face across the ship which means that this movement would rock you very gently back to sleep! Some were woken by items in their cabin falling off the desk etc on this night, moral... stow things before you retire!

Now the bad news. The further forward you are or the higher up you are, the more you could feel the ship move.

I've been to sea on many occasions and I would give you two tips to avoid sea-sickness.

1. The lower you go in the ship and the further aft you go, the less you will feel any motion. QM2 has the majority of her public rooms low down in the hull (decks 2 and 3) and, accept for the theatre and cinema, most are "aft of the stack" on these levels. The Britannia Resturant is in the most stable part of the ship for example. So go to the deck 12 pool, library, Commodore Club etc on calm days!

2. If you (or your wife) feel unwell, get out on deck or near a picture window where you can see the horizon. Your brain can then see that the ship is moving and gives it a fixed, non moving, point of reference to counteract that movement. It really works. The worst thing is to lock yourself away indoors where your brain is confused.. the room appears to be stationary according to your eyes but the movement sensors in your ears tell the brain that the room is moving about! Then you feel unwell as your brain cannot sort out this conflicting information.

Hope this helps, have a great time.

Hi Pepper,

I started to read your report but didn't get too far. I guess there's a fine line between wanting to learn of any tips, features, hidden surprises, etc. so as not to miss them and the fun of discovering some of this yourself. I think from some reading on this board so far I've learned "just enough".

One question, however. You mentioned wanting to feel the motion of the ship and selected your cabin somewhat based on this. How did this turn out? Was there much motion there? Since our cabin is also towards the front of the ship and not on one of the lower decks, do you think there would be much motion there? The reason I ask is my wife does not handle that real well. Plus, she does not like taking any kind of pill for this, if not necessary, so she waits until she sees how she feels and then takes something. On about half the cruises we've been on she's been fine (no crossings) and did not have to take anything. We'll be in the caribbean so we do not expect any rough seas.

Ecruiser: needless to say all of us are jealous! I've been on QM2 twice (the most recent in September with Travel-to-Go---heah Karie!). We were upgraded from an inside gty on deck 4 to an inside on deck 11 - this was the highest up we had ever been on any ship. We sailed through TS Ernesto (nasty day with 20 foot seas and we couldn't see the Statue of Liberty sailing out of NY Harbor). We felt very little motion up on deck 11 - most of the motion we did feel was pitching (front to back). DH is prone to quesiness in rough seas and had no problem. The most apt description I've ever read about QM2 sailing in rough seas was from Desirod (hi David) - she sails like she's on train tracks nailed to the bottom of the ocean. Motion will not be much of a problem on her. Should you feel any quesiness, take Peppern's advice and enjoy your trip!

Archived