Anyone recently returned from the Star on the Mexican Riveria?

familyplanner

Okay I tried to do a search for this but the search tool isn't working. What I am trying to find out is what time is it when you are in port? Do you stay on ship time and if so is that pacific standard time or do you go by port time which I believe is central standard time? Would someone please help me out so I can book some private shore excursions.;) Thanks, I know someone will be able to answer this question.

We sailed on the Star in October.

The ship's clock changed back by one hour once we sailed south of Cabo.

But, when we went on land in Acapulco, Zuhuatenejo, and Puerta Vallerta the local time was an hour different.

They constantly reminded everyone that departure times were based on the ship's time and not local time.

Acapulco, Zihuatanejo, and Puerto Vallarta are in the central time zone. The ship moves it clock ahead (not back) one hour after leaving LA. After the change, the ship in on mountain standard time. Therefore when in Acapulco, Zihuatanejo, and Puerto Vallarta the time on shore is one hour ahead of the ship's time - 1:00pm on the ship = 2:00pm on the shore.

Cabo, on the other hand, is in the mountain time zone. So ship's time and shore time are the same.

Hope this helps.

So, if we are scheduled to be in Aca at 11 am, that is actually 12, and the cliff divers are at 1pm, we probably won't be able to get there in time? Or would there be time? We want to do the day time cliff divers since my grandmother doesn't see very well to begin with and night time is worse.

Jbkk, you are correct in your analysis of the time issue. If your docking and show times are correct, you have one hour to get to the cliff divers. If the ship docks on time, in my opinion you could probably make it, if you were one of the first off the ship.

It's a short taxi ride to the cliff divers. Also, the show takes a fair amount of time. The divers climb the cliff and usually pray before diving. Also, there are several dives building up to the really high dives. So you could be a little late and still see the show. However, if you arrive late, or even at show time, you will not get a prime viewing location. Personally, I don't think I would try to make a 1:00pm show. However, given the eyesight issue with your group, it may be worth a shot. Just go with the attitude that you may arrive too late, meaning that a backup plan must be ready to go.

I knew that about the time zones and the one hour difference, but I'm still trying to clarify what time does a ship excursion start? I've gotten 2 different answers from NCL.

We've got an NCL excursion that is supposed to start 4PM in Acapulco.

Now, will that be ship time or Aca time?

Anyone who knows, please help?! :confused:

So, if we are scheduled to be in Aca at 11 am, that is actually 12, and the cliff divers are at 1pm, we probably won't be able to get there in time? Or would there be time? We want to do the day time cliff divers since my grandmother doesn't see very well to begin with and night time is worse.

The cliff divers are only about 10 minutes away by cab.

We walked off the ship at what we thought was 11:30am (ship time), but it was 12:30pm (central time) according to the local clocks. We grabbed a cab and were sitting at the "La Perla" restaurant drinking cold beers and sitting in the shade while watching the cliff divers in only ten minutes from the ship. The divers don't start immediately at the top of the hour.

Thank you all for your insight. It is very helpful. We have a tour guide lined up, Rosie, I think we will try to make it for the early dive. If we are too late, we'll go back to the earliest evening one.

Grandma is easy to please, even if she can't see all the action. She is just so thrilled that we are taking her along. She's never been out of the US.

Thanks again - How did people manage these trips before message boards like this?

Barb

Thank you all for your insight. It is very helpful. We have a tour guide lined up, Rosie, I think we will try to make it for the early dive. If we are too late, we'll go back to the earliest evening one.

Grandma is easy to please, even if she can't see all the action. She is just so thrilled that we are taking her along. She's never been out of the US.

Thanks again - How did people manage these trips before message boards like this?

Barb

I heard great things about Rosie. We were only interested in the cliff divers and the Hard Rock Cafe so we just hired a cab driver at the terminal to take us to each place and wait for us each time to bring us back. It was so hot, we just wanted to get back to an empty ship and take advantage of the peace and quiet around the spa pool.

Archived