Travel/Cruise Insurance

kvand3l00n

Okay. We haven't purchased travel insurance because we didn't think it was necessary - our impression was that it only covered if you needed to cancel the cruise. After reading the different posts here, I've come to learn it covers SO much more than just cancellations. Based on some of the advice given here, we've decided to use STA Travel to buy insurance through...has anyone purchased their travel insurance before? It's like $100 for my DH and I, and I guess I just want to hear some opinions on it, or if someone feels there is a better way to go. Also, do you know how long I can wait to buy insurance? Does it have to be purchased a certain amount of time before you cruise?

I think you must purchase it before final payment is made. 14 days from making deposit to waive any pre-existing conditions for your or your family members that stay at home. Like my MIL had cancer, had she gotten sicker and we needed to cancel our trip and stay home the cancer would have been pre-existing because she had it before we booked the cruise. I was always under the impression that the pre-existing conditions only applied to us taking the trip! Good to check all your bases!

I have been on six cruises. My 7th coming in a few weeks, and I

do purchase the insurance. You just never know what can happen. On

my second cruise someone became so ill they had to be airlifted off the

ship by coast guard helicopter. I hope they had insurance. Do not

take the insurance the cruise lines offer. The policy is written to favor

the cruise lines. Use a third party insurance. It may only cover for

cancelling for covered reasons ie illness or injury to you or a family

member or traveling companion but it also covers for a varierty of

other reasons. I'm a travel agent and use that type of insurance myself. Your personel medical insurance most likely won't cover you. It's a small

investment to protect yourself just in case. Good luck!!:o

We always believed that we never needed travel insurance until Hurricane Wilma came bearing down on us 7 days prior to our cruise last year.

We've used insuremytrip.com as well and have used Travel Safe Vacation Insurance before.

You never know what could possibly happen. We like having the piece of mind that we're protected just in case.

Safe travels.

Here's the problem now - all of you say I need to purchase before final payment - my cruise has been paid for since the day we booked. Can I still get insurance? Help!

The official "final payment" is usually 60-70 days before sailing as you can cancel without penalty up until that date.

Hey everyone, thanks for the help - wanted to post what I found out. I called and talked to STA Travel (A student travel website, but you don't have to be a student for them to cover you - you just have to be a US Citizen) and you can purchase insurance up to the day before your trip - they need time to be able to send over the proper documentation for you to take with you either via email or regular mail. It's $48 per person for 8 days of coverage, and it seems pretty good. =)

calling around for Insurance as CSA has lost me with 2 claims denied & then no assistance with no luggage after Freedom 10/22 after a 2 hour wait at 11PM in Cleveland & we are told we will have it between 9AM & 5PM the next day but only 1 case showed. The other 2 took 2 weeks. CSA stated that we were at home & had our clothes their to wear so no need to file a claim as luggage did arrive.

So call 1 was TravelGuard who wanted $194 ( with all kinds of if, ands & buts) or lower coverage for $166 but they were less than CSA. Then I tried TravelSafe who wanted $250 PP - YIKES! Then I tried STA (who is AIG Insurance) rated A+ and they wanted $154 total for both of us. Full coverage, so they won! SO RCI Brilliance sailing TA wins them.

Thanks for the connection to them to save on insurance costs for excellent coverage.

Your personel medical insurance most likely won't cover you.

I don't know if that is a true statement. I have had several professional jobs over the last 20 years, and in each case my employer provided health plan covered me when out of the country. Most of my family and friends also have similar coverage. Medicare is one exception.

The key is to "check" if you already have coverage. I have a feeling that very few people bother to check.

I checked this out too with my personal insurance...they will reimburse for any medical expenses as "out of network care" - so probably 80% coverage after my deductible is met. They don't cover anything else but medical claims, which is more than likely what I would use it for...but that could still be a HUGE expense. I agree that checking with your personal insurance is a good way to go FIRST before you start searching for other independant carriers.

MACOP - glad that you could save some money with STA! They are who we are going with too, just have to pay them. Have a great cruise!

I've used STA Travel for my last 6 cruises... amazingly inexpensive, great coverage, NOT AGE rated, price is based on number of days.

Never had a problem with them. I almost had to cancel once and they were very helpful on the steps I had to take. Fortunately, I didn't end up canceling.

Archived