which tanning bed lotion and moisturizer do you recommend?

Kajunswty

I have the Australian Gold Free Spirit. It smells like Juicy Fruit, and has dual bronzers, triple action anti-aging, and slimming formula. The thing I like the best is that it has the Tan Fresh... where you dont smell like tanning bed when you get out.

Does anyone have any suggestions for just regular tanning lotion? I'm not interested in bronzers or tingle (I'm comfortable with slowly building a tan and I've seen my roommates after they used a tingle lotion and pink and feeling ridiculously warm doesn't appeal to me), I'm just looking for a simple tanning lotion to protect my skin while I prep for the cruise.

Does anyone have any suggestions for just regular tanning lotion? I'm not interested in bronzers or tingle (I'm comfortable with slowly building a tan and I've seen my roommates after they used a tingle lotion and pink and feeling ridiculously warm doesn't appeal to me), I'm just looking for a simple tanning lotion to protect my skin while I prep for the cruise.

I really like the Dove gradual tanning lotion - it smells great and doesn't rub off. It's like regular lotion so there's no weird sensation. There was a small sample of this on my last Carnival cruise in the amenity basket.

I really like the Dove gradual tanning lotion - it smells great and doesn't rub off. It's like regular lotion so there's no weird sensation. There was a small sample of this on my last Carnival cruise in the amenity basket.
\

Dove DOES make a lotion with self tanner but it DOESN'T protect your skin from anything. It just stains your skin - there's no protection in THAT. It IS, however, the only SAFE way to tan. Sun browned skin (or especially tanning bed browned) is damaged skin. So if you have to be brown, then just paint it on with one of the self tanners, like Dove, and protect your skin in the sun with a good broad spectrum sun block.

I am so glad I saw this thread !

I am worried about getting sun burned on our upcoming cruise in 17 days. I was wondering if a self tan lotion, which just colour your skin to a nice brown, will somehow protect my skin a little bit better than going without the self tan lotion.

I will be real careful with the hot sun, but was hoping that self tan might protect me a little. I will be slapping on a lot of sunscreen and be real careful, and yet with all our cold and snow we are having, lying in the sun and feeling warmth on my skin will be heaven !

I dont plan on going to the tanning salon before we go, so I am worried about burning and feeling sore while on this dream vacation coming up.

Anyone has experiences with applying self tanning before hand?

I would go get sprayed. It is usually only like $20, and looks good. It does not protect you from burn, so wear sunscreen.

A funny story about tingle... I started going to a new tanning bed, (I transferred from the rich side of town to the dumps!) and they gave me some samples to use. I tried the Bombshell 10X tingle... I thought the tanning bed was tore up, and I was getting electrocuted!! I have never felt anything like it before in my life. I almost said something to them about the bed, but I am glad now that I didnt... I would have looked so dumb. But I went from a real fancy salon to a dumpy one... but the beds are great, they have my bed waiting for me everyday at lunch! 12 more days!!!

Okay, I, too, am glad I found this thread!

I normally tan pretty easily and rarely burn, but I have no desire to go through the days of potentially getting burned, so I've started tanning in preparation for my January cruise. I'm in my 3rd week, haven't been on a bed at the max level yet, and have yet to burn. I'm wondering when they're finally going to say it's okay for me to stay in for the full time (I'm 1/16 Cherokee - I'm not going to turn bright red, especially after doing this for a few weeks). My real question, though, is on the tanning accelerators. Do they really work? The salon keeps pushing them pretty good, but at $30 for a fairly small bottle, I'm hesitant to try them. I worry about the time, too, since I'm doing this during lunch. I'm already having to go in with my makeup on, which has SPF 15 in it, because I don't have time to take it off and reapply it! Is this stuff really worth it if I already tan pretty easily? My primary goal is to get rid of tan lines and get a base so I don't burn.

"Designer" products are wonderful and are greatly discounted on eBay. Just got the new Spellbound for $21.95 and my salon was asking over $50.

The ones I like are:

Spellbound

Worship

Tao

They also have after-bed lotions. Just do a search on eBay for "Designer lotion" and a ton of 'em will come up.

The other day I went to tan at a salon that's connected to a fitness center. The girls at the counter were cracking up.... seems a "muscle man" had bought lotion with a tingle factor and had put the lotion on his "man muscle." Needless to say, he got quite a suprise when the bed heated up!

I own a tanning bed and have for years, I agree with shungirl for tanning and bronzing. the best lotion we have ever found was from Shaklee Corporation. You can googgle it and it will come up. My DH has used this for years, he is pale and burns very easy. You can get spf /FPS 15, 30, and 45. We spent 9 days in the Caribbean last winter and he used this and never burned after being in the sun for over 8 hours each day! Brown as a bear. This is the best! I never use anything as I tan very easy. I know I should but have really never worried about it! He also uses this in the tanning bed and starts about 2 months before we take off!

Good luck and just remember if you don't tan easy keep re-applying any and all lotion. The sun is soooo much stronger in the caribbean. :p

PLEASE be careful if you do tanning beds.

I am the original sun and tanning worshiper. I too, owned a tanning bed for years (bought it from a salon that was going out of business).

After years of " naked " tanning in the beds I started to develop these "gross, ugly moles" on parts of my body that had never been exposed to the real sun. Then I started getting them on my face and neck. Then I got scared.

I went to the dermatoligist. They were non-malignant but disgusting looking.. I had them all removed (my insurance company wouldn't pay since they classified it as elective cosmetic surgery). The dermatoligist agreed. It wasn't a fortune to have it done ($800, I think) but it ended my days of "fake and bake."!!

I still LOVE the sun and I do the real thing in small doses..probably still bad but I think it's better than the tanning beds...now, I NEVER have my face directly in the sun!! Always wear a hat or visor..

JUST BE CAREFUL...

Twenty minutes in a tanning bed is equivalent to eight hours in the sun in terms of skin damage - and skin IS being damaged no matter what you're putting on it. The change in your skin color to red or brown is what happens (ONE of the things that happens) when skin is damaged at the cellular level.

For tingle I like Siren, DH liked Jacked Up, but its been discontinued. Our friend tried a sample of Flare and really liked how it went on and worked, so we'll look for that one too. I buy lotions online at bestpricetanning dot com. I found a great face lotion too, its called X Appeal Face, it works really well. there's a tanning forum that I visit to get reviews on lotions called iamtan dot com.

sheri

Being tan/brown or whatever color your skin isn't means that it has experienced some biologic change. So you go to the tanning booth or sit in the sun and your skin turns a lovely shade of brown. Now your skln is damaged. And if you are lucky, you won't develop skin cancer or melanoma. Or when you are 50 or whatever, your skin will still look like skin instead of something on an alligator. And once again maybe you won't develop skin cancer.

Try the spray tan (it really does last a week), or self-tanning lotions - or God forbid, go with whatever skin color you have... Who cares?!!

And melanoma does kill! At a very early age (30).

Twenty minutes in a tanning bed is equivalent to eight hours in the sun in terms of skin damage - and skin IS being damaged no matter what you're putting on it. The change in your skin color to red or brown is what happens (ONE of the things that happens) when skin is damaged at the cellular level.

My tanning bed is 3 years old and 20 minutes is equivalent to 4 hours in the sun. Most damage is done if you burn your skin.

Being tan/brown or whatever color your skin isn't means that it has experienced some biologic change. So you go to the tanning booth or sit in the sun and your skin turns a lovely shade of brown. Now your skln is damaged. And if you are lucky, you won't develop skin cancer or melanoma. Or when you are 50 or whatever, your skin will still look like skin instead of something on an alligator. And once again maybe you won't develop skin cancer.

Try the spray tan (it really does last a week), or self-tanning lotions - or God forbid, go with whatever skin color you have... Who cares?!!

And melanoma does kill! At a very early age (30).

I think and have been told by my DR. that buring is what causes skin damage. Yes tanning can age you faster but also if you moisturize properly and frequently this will help a lot. I also think over using the tanning bed is harmful. I own one and only use it in the Spring so that I don't burn, Fall two times a week and then a month before I cruise so that I will not burn. I do not abuse it by no means, but i do tan very easily.

AS far as the self tanners you should have them applied professionally, I have seen a lot of streaks out there and it is really freakish looking! ;)

Wow, now I know what smokers feel like. THIS is why I don't come on here constantly telling them how they're damaging themselves. It's their life, they know what they're doing to themselves, if they choose to do it, so be it.

I think every person who uses a tanning bed knows the risks, and does what they can to minimize them. We don't need holier-than-thou people like some of the ones on here telling us how to live our lives.

Soap box off.

Wow, now I know what smokers feel like. THIS is why I don't come on here constantly telling them how they're damaging themselves. It's their life, they know what they're doing to themselves, if they choose to do it, so be it.

I think every person who uses a tanning bed knows the risks, and does what they can to minimize them. We don't need holier-than-thou people like some of the ones on here telling us how to live our lives.

Soap box off.

There you go! :p Listen to aggieastrofan shes making her point! ;) But I will add if I may, people who use the tanning bed are not hurting anyone but themselves if it does! People who insist on smoking their cancer sticks are inflicting unwanted second hand smoke to some unwilling participates. A little difference there! :rolleyes: :p

I do some bookkeeping for a tanning distribution company and 4 tanning salons and have for 3 years. Luckily I get to try all the different brands and types of lotions, we carry Australian Gold, California Tan, Swedish Beauty, Designer Skin, Fiji Blend, Supre and a few smaller ones.

To those people who don't want to spend the money on lotion, at LEAST buy a sample of the salons house lotion. Lotion really does condition your skin for tanning and help to protect it.

California Tan is considered in the industry to be one of the best for quality but my personal favorites are Supre and Fiji. I find no matter which Cal Tan lotion I try, I smell icky after.

For Supre, I would recommend Impact, Omen, or Hempz. They all smell fabulous and really condition your skin. Be careful with Supre bronzing lotions as they are quite dark and I find really give people that just-been-in-a-tanning-bed look.

For Fiji Blend, I would recommend Decadence, Omega 3, or Tandoori. Decadence is for exceptionally dry skin (which I don't have) but feel so incredible on your skin and smells absolutely heavenly even after you tan. Omega 3 is a bronzer which I normally don't use but this one gives you a beautiful golden colour and you'll never get that orange tinge some bronzers can give your skin. Tandoori is a brand new product for the 2007 tanning season. It's yogurt based and smells great.

It's the DHA in bronzers that gives off that nasty smell after you tan. Omega 3 is a quadruple bronzer but has none of that after-smell.

Also, keep in mind your face. There are a lot of great facial lotions out there. I personally like to put a light towel over my face for 90% of the tan since just by being out and about my face gets some natural sun anyway.

Hope this helps!

Archived