Is There Any Great Snorkeling Left???

du4mch

My Dh And I Will Be In Cozumel On 1/18/07.we Are Cruising With Rci Explorer Of The Seas. We Both Love To Snorkel. Our Favorite Shore Snorkeling Experience Was In Roatan. Is There Any Great Shore Snorkeling Left In Cozumel Post Wilma. If Not, Can We Go Out By Boat And Find A Wonderful, Colorful Reef System -full Of Life? Can Anyone Give Us Some Recommendations As We Have Never Been To Cozumel Ourselves.

You bet there is good snorkeling. I don't recommend from shore right now, the shallow reef formations took the worst of Wilma's wrath. The boat snorkeling is still very good, if not the best in the Western Caribbean.

These folks at Eagle Ray offer a good tour...

http://www.eagleraydivers.com/

and you'll find some offerings here. http://www.fishingcozumel.net

I've heard the shore snorkel at Playa Corona is coming back strong with lots of fish and the coral is very much in recovery.

Have fun, and let us know how is was when you get home.

I agree with Jim, snorkeling by boat is best. You could also try the Paradise Beach catamaran tour. It takes you to the southern reefs, which I think is the best spot right now.

Another alternative is to pay to go into Punta Sur park on the island's southern tip and then swim out from the beach to some good reef. The reef is about 200 yards out, so not really for beginners, but once there you can drift along and then come back in down the beach and walk back.

You can book the Paradise Beach snorkel tour here or read more about Punta Sur on this Cozumel news site - scroll down to 'The Original South Park' on 4 Sept.

Enjoy!

Ian

I agree with Jim, snorkeling by boat is best. You could also try the Paradise Beach catamaran tour. It takes you to the southern reefs, which I think is the best spot right now.

Another alternative is to pay to go into Punta Sur park on the island's southern tip and then swim out from the beach to some good reef. The reef is about 200 yards out, so not really for beginners, but once there you can drift along and then come back in down the beach and walk back.

You can book the Paradise Beach snorkel tour here or read more about Punta Sur on this Cozumel news site - scroll down to 'The Original South Park' on 4 Sept.

Enjoy!

So on the snorkel tour they pick u up at Paradise Beach and you go from there?

BTW What is the cab fare from the pier to Paradise beach?

The only problem we are going to have is the cold water in Jan.....we have 3 mm wet suits that I guess we are going to need to take along. Thoughts? BTW we are from Fl so 80 degrees or lower is COLD!

I've Heard On Other Threads That Playa Palancar Also Has A Boat Tour To The Southern Reefs And Offers Some Nice Snorkeling. I Also Read That It Is Not As Nearly Crowded As Paradise Beach . Has Anyone Done This Boat Tour From Palancar Beach Recently Who Could Give Us Some Updates ?

flvol77 - yes, the Paradise Beach tour picks you up from the beach's own pier, it leaves around midday most days, but worth booking in advance if you can to confirm.

d4much - Palancar does also have a tour, similar price, shorter travel time to the reef, but about the same amount of time snorkeling. I don't think they include free margaritas after snorkeling like the Paradise Beach tour though.

I'm afraid I haven't taken it, but the snorkeling should be very similar as they go to the same area, the main difference will be the boat.

From downtown a taxi to Paradise Beach should cost $13 or to Palancar should cost $20.

I'd be surprised if you'll need a wetsuit snorkeling, even if you're used to warm water. No harm in bringing it along though...

Ian

Archived