Where to stay Precruise in NY/NJ??

Dorie7

Hi!

We're planning a two night pre cruise stay in order to see NYC before a Bermuda cruise out of Cape Liberty. Where do you recommend staying fro ease of sight seeing, transportation and then transferring to the port? WE're flying into EWR in Newark, NJ.

We need a reasonable priced option in a safe area.

Thanks for any help, tips, advice....

Dorie:)

This is a copy of my to post to a question very similar to yours.

There are many hotels located in that area. When I was planning our trip I searched travel sites to find hotels. This board is also a great asset. Check the east coast departure board. After a lot of searching we decided to use the Newark Airport Best Western. Not the best location but it offers airport pickup, transportation to the pier and return transportation to the airport. It also has a shuttle for a fee to/from the local train station so we can head into NYC for some sightseeing.

Puffinater,

How far/long is the Best western from downtown NYC? we were planning on spending a few days pre cruise visiting NYC. If you are going to from NYC often, a shuttle plus a train sounds like a long commute?

We have never been in the area so I'm a bit overwhelmed by the hotel sites. We don't want to end up in a bad neighbourhood due to our ignorance of where to stay combined with a desire to get an inexpensive lodging.

I did a search on East Coast departures and posted a query there but the only hotel that sounds promising so far is the Hyatt Regency, but it is going for $260ish per night - a little high for us on this trip.

Thanks,

Dorie

Seeing how we have not done this yet I can only relay the information I received from the hotel and hope it is acurate. The actual miles into NYC are not many and the trip from what I was told is less than 30 mins.

We will only be there overnite so we will only be taking one trip into the city.

The hotel is very close to the airport. Some have reported on here that the eating/shopping choices are very slim in the area. Several people have stated that although it is not a prime location they had no problems.

Taking into consideration the cost of hotels in the area and transportation from the airport..to the pier...to the airport..this is a good deal.

Puffinater,

How far/long is the Best western from downtown NYC? we were planning on spending a few days pre cruise visiting NYC. If you are going to from NYC often, a shuttle plus a train sounds like a long commute?

We have never been in the area so I'm a bit overwhelmed by the hotel sites. We don't want to end up in a bad neighbourhood due to our ignorance of where to stay combined with a desire to get an inexpensive lodging.

I did a search on East Coast departures and posted a query there but the only hotel that sounds promising so far is the Hyatt Regency, but it is going for $260ish per night - a little high for us on this trip.

Thanks,

Dorie

Alot of people on this board have used that Best Western in Newark to sail out of Cape Liberty Bayonne NJ and I have not read anything negative about it as of yet. You will also find info on it on the main page of this website. The pier is very close to NYC and you will see the city from the ship. The rate for the Best Western is I think 155.00 plus tax for 2 people. You can call them and ask about transportation and costs into the city also as there are limo's, cabs, buses, trains, rental cars, ferry's to choose from. Welcome to the land of MASS transportation!

As far as rates for hotels in NYC you can plan on about triple that or more depending on the days you stay or time of the year and don't forget to add in the the NYC taxes so if you are using a site like Expedia just don't go by what the room rate is that first shows up follow thru like you are really going to make a reservation to see total cost. Around Xmas and all holidays, big sport events, etc. you will be paying a premium. We drive to this port as we live a little over an hour away. I am a big fan of Marriott hotels and always stay at them when I travel. I have not stayed at the Manhattan Marriott Hotel yet but one of my client's has several times and is very happy with it. Marriott has other lesser chains such as Courtyard, etc. that are less money and you can find them on the Marriott website just look under NY to see which ones are available in the city. If you are not familiar with NYC prices you will find everything pricey in the city but it is fun to go in and see things. It is hard to give you an exact time it takes to get into the city because it depends on the time you go in. If it's during rush hour it takes longer as you sit in traffic but it's very close to the city. Newark airport is located in NJ and it is the closest to the port than trying to fight the traffic from JFK or Laguardia getting out of the city. NYC has tons of hotels to choose from. Try typing in search NYC hotels to see all of them. Most of the good hotels have transportation to get people back and forth to airports so you can ask them about that and the rates also if you want to stay in NYC first.

If it was me, I would fly into Newark, stay at the Best Western and take transportation into the city to visit it. Marriott also has a hotel at Newark airport area but it's considerably more than the Best Western but there are several hotels in the Newark airport area also just put Newark airport hotels in search and they should come up. Sometimes there are special rates depending on the day of the week. The number for that Best Western is 877-442-0992 and it's the park and cruise package I think but before you book just call them and ask them all your questions about getting into the city. They also have a website that you can tour the hotel and it does look nice. They probably have a Best Western in NYC also that they may be able to arrange a room there for you also.

I know you are concerned about safety and just remember you are in a major city area so just be aware of your surroundings and don't get off the beaten path like it is in any big city. Carry the name and number of the hotel you decide to stay at with you so you have it in case you do get lost. From the Best Western you will only take a shuttle bus not a train to the pier. You will get to the pier, have porters take your luggage, and then go check in and then everyone must board buses to get to the ship as due to security they do not let anyone near the ship unless you have gone thru the terminal and it's too far to walk to the ship so you will get on the bus that takes you right to the ship.

I know it sounds overwhelming but it's very simple once you get to the terminal as there are people to help you get into check in lines, etc. It took us 10 minutes to get thru the terminal, check in, get pictures taken and get our seapass card and we were on the bus. Another 5 minutes on the bus ride to the ship and we were greeted at the ship's door about 12:30PM telling us to head on up to the Windjammer and have lunch and our room would be ready at 1pm. You'll love the Explorer and I have several cruises booked on it as it's so easy for us to leave from Bayonne. I think the Best Western has a resturant inside as I know they say they give you free breakfast so you could probably just eat right there. Hope this helps a bit! :) Just a word about Newark, It is a very busy large city, very close to NYC so you are very much in a city environment with tons of highways and major traffic so you just need to be more cautious like you would be in any major city area.

stayed at milford plaza in manhattan in feb was great hotel ,reasonable price(for nyc) ,and great location for exploring nyc one block from times square on 8th avenue

they can usually sort you out a van to port liberty

Archived