Men's Formal Night Attire Question

Editor

we have been on three Princess Cruises. My husband and my teens have all worn shirts and ties (DH forgot his jacket :rolleyes: ) and they did not stick out like sore thumbs. I personally think he can wear a nice dress shirt, slacks and he will be fine. Add a tie for good measure.

Here is the whole family on formal night. Notice I am not the lease bit worried about them, they look great.

1018655924_formala.jpg.9953c4e4b77f84d1961a9d164c94cfc0.jpg

Just for the record, the so called "TUXEDO" or Dinner Jacket or black tie, is considered as a "semi-formal dress" and the word TUXEDO started it's use when Pierre Lorillard IV, scion of a powerful New York tobacco family, shocked the members of the Tuxedo Park country club by attending the Autumn Ball in something different, something that the Prince of Wales had been wearing for two decades: the dinner jacket.

Hey All:

Thanks so much for your (very funny) responses.

Hubby is being a real pickle! My oldest daughter can't wait to dress up for the formal nights, my youngest, though, is siding with her dad.

I'm going to pack his suit in my suitcase and read him the riot act on formal nights.

Since we'll be married twenty years six months from cruise's end, he can dress up for me.

I've read several of your responses about renting a tux on the ship. If you plan to cruise for vacations, you can buy an inexpensive tuxedo for about two of those rentals or a white dinner jacket if that is your preference.

Certainly the basic styles don't change in formal wear, and one tux can last a life time. You will find they are tailored for years of service with expansion built in or easily altered to fit.

The basic black tux is very versatile, you just add accessories, cummerbunds or vests for a different look over time.

The dinner jacket is somewhat limited by either climate or season, Easter to Labor Day in Northern climes. If there are three formal nights on a cruise, I might take both.

That's just MHO, and these days, you'll see more suits then tuxes. But you have to ask yourself; are you dressing to please yourself or the the lady in your life? Either answer works!!

I guess any transatlantic crossing on the Queen Mary2 is out. One dressed for dinner every night (except for embarcation and disembarcation nights) when we did a transatlantic crossing on the QE2 before Cunard retired her from that run. My wife's favorite picture of me was taken at dinner one night on that trip. It was worth getting dressed up to see her smile.

I guess any transatlantic crossing on the Queen Mary2 is out. One dressed for dinner every night (except for embarcation and disembarcation nights) when we did a transatlantic crossing on the QE2 before Cunard retired her from that run. My wife's favorite picture of me was taken at dinner one night on that trip. It was worth getting dressed up to see her smile.

And my luggage went missing for the first 3 nights! (went into a wrong cabin). What a mess.... had to have a Tux for dinner (required).... and this was way before the days of rentals.... one of the Waiters came through!

I've owned a Tux most of my adult life - and if I have to put on a jacket and tie for any reason - a Tux is no different just a different clown outfit. No big deal and often appreciated by the person I'm with.

Archived