Another SMALL Earthquake Hits Hawaii

Retired not Expired

if you click this link you can see all the recent earthquake activity for hawaii. we get many per day, but most of them are so small that we don't feel them.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsus/Maps/special/Hawaii.php

i am on oahu and we definitely felt yesterday's quake.. but i am also wondering why it's such big news :confused:

We were in Kona for the quake....about 10 miles from the epicenter. I can understand why it was big news....it was a REAL shaker. We were sitting in the Kona Denny's (the one with the million dollar view) having breakfast...and the whole place started to shake. The window next to us was quivering...and of course all of the dishes and glasses, silver, etc. were clanking. My husband and I found ourselves holding onto the table...it was definitely a magic carpet ride. The lights flickered....and then when it was all over, you could hear a collective sigh of relief from all of the patrons.......and then we all continued eating our pancakes :D

It was a Thanksgiving to remember for sure.

Just got a blurb from a newspaper that a 4.5 to 5 earthquake hit just off the west coast of the Big Island today. Felt on the Big Island and on Maui. Other than some power outages, no other damage reported so far.

Well, it inspired a few phone calls and emails from friends and family, and we have (some more) sheet rock cracks to go with the ones DH has been patching since the "big one" on 10/15, but newsworthy...NOT...

Although I must admit it scared me~had another this am around 5:30...ready for Madam Pele to calm down now.....

IMO (and admitting it's a WAG), it's news because of the "big one" in October. The news outlets will be doing followup for a while; then they'll get bored and move on to something else.

Hope everyone is okay. As a native CA girl, I'm quite familiar with the "it's just a little earthquake" thing. A friend from Ohio told me that during her first earthquake (a 3.9 or so), she was so freaked that she followed the instructions she had read and got under her desk. Her co-workers looked at her and said, "Um, are you okay? That really wasn't any big deal." She was thinking, "No big deal? What do you mean no big deal? Lord, what's a big deal then?"

beachchick

I'm prepping the kids "just in case" there's some "activity" the few days we'll be on the Big Island. Alex (DS 14) was only 1 yr old when we experienced Northridge and I was a bit concerned about how he'd possibly react. He's actually "looking forward" to some rattling (as for me I'm not.. but we'll be fine).

Now counting down the days till we arrive... 20 days and counting.

Donna, hope things quiet down... I'll try to contact you regarding possibly making some arrangements for August (how large is your unit?).

Thanks

Carolyn

In the past couple of weeks, I have 'felt' vibration.... enough to Comment about it to others. Lamp shade moving, stemmed glasses vibrate in china cabinet.

Oh so VERY slight, but I think we have 'little' ones here in Massachusettes. There is a fault around here somewhere.

Not like what you experience out West.

Archived