Tulum Ruins and Xel-Ha for the day

cuterlmt

We're doing this tour with both a visit to Tulum and Xel-Ha on our Princess cruise next month (WOOHOO! I can't wait!). Both hubby and I need to eat during the day. We plan to have breakfast on the ship, but the excursion goes all day. Are there places to get a snack/lunch along the way? Any recommendations? We are doing the ship's excursion since it's such a long excursion and we want to make sure to get back on the ship.

Thanks a bunch for any help you can give!

The drive down is long and not much to see. You will be passing every resort entrance all the way down the Mayan Riviera, There is a little snack shop just outside the Tulum Ruins but I can't comment on the food. Bring some fruit from the ship to be safe.

The ruins are fantastic and so is the view.

Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

cuterlmt--What did you figure out? I have the same question--what can we take from the ship to eat--or buy on this excursion--to ensure we won't get hungry/cranky during the day? Since it's so hot at Tulum, I'm considering packing a small, collapsible cooler/backpack so we can take cold drinks, but won't do so if I know we can buy drinks/food along the way...

You can get food at Xel-Ha. They have several restaurants there. In fact, they have an all-inclusive package that includes drinks and food. We did this tour our first time in Mexico 8 years ago, and it seems to me that the excursion came with the all-inclusive package at Xel-Ha. You may want to check this out.

For our taste, too much time in Tulum and not enough at Xel-Ha. We have gone back to Xel-Ha every time we go back to the area, and have done it on our own. Of course, we are more beach people than ruins people, so that taints our opinion.

We ordered room service the day before and packed up the sandwiches to snack on. Bring zip-loc bags or lock n' lock containers and toss the food in your pack. Also brought pringles/hard candies which our guide enjoyed. We also grabbed some fruit to feed the iguanas while at Tulum. Once we fed one the next thing it looked like Jurassic Park. Provided a great photo op for everyone. Make sure you bring water with you as it can get very hot touring Tulum along with sun tan lotion, hat and insect repellent. We brought repellent and sprayed about 15 people as they were getting eatten alive just as you entered the grounds.

My family did this excursion a few years ago and were miserable because you aren't allowed to wear sunscreen at Xel-Ha. They are very fair and unprepared so didn't bring sun protective clothing. Had to stay in the shade. It was very hot that day.

You can actually use natural sunscreen at Xel-ha.

We just came back from Star Princess, and I visited Tulum & Xel-ha as well.

I toured it by ourselves, though. I also feel that I didn't spend enough time at Xel-ha. It is such a fabulous place.

• 2 weeks later...

We just got back from our trip and did the ship Star Princess's excursion to Tulum and Xel-Ha. I would NOT recommend doing it all in one day. It was tough. We tendered, then took the tendered to Cozumel, then took the ferry to Playa del Carmen. Then met our tour guide at the dock. Then walked 4 plus blocks (hubby says it was about 1-1/2 to 2 miles) to get to the bus. At the bus, they gave us a snack bag that had lots of pre-packaged food in it. Muffins, a fruit bar, crackers, some non-cheese cheese puffs, apple juice, a banana.

We then drove to Tulum. The guide told us there was a trolley that we could take to the entrance but told us not to and that it was very dangerous (he went on and on about this), so we walked to the entrance. Less of a hike than to the bus, but still a hike, especially after having to do the first one. Then entrance to Tulum and a bit more walking.

Tulum itself was amazing. We had about an hour or so there, with our tour guide, and then to get back to the bus. We saw the beach from the top, did not go down. When we went back from the entrance, we paid the $2 to take the trolley. Very well worth the money. Then went to the bus. We had no time to get food, but there were restaurants there where you could get something to go.

Then on to Xel-Ha which is very close to Tulum. We had about 2 hours there. We spent about 1/2 hour walking to the "Star Princess special area", and getting a locker (that was a nightmare). We changed and were able to play in the water about an hour. No one ever asked us about the biodegradeable sunscreen, but we did have it, and there were signs. We did use it. We found the natural sun screen at Wild Oats. Kiss My face also sells a brand, and you can find it online. There are lots of food places at Xel-Ha as well.

When we left, we had to wait for two guys who were very late for our bus. Made us late for our ferry, and late back to the ship. Thankfully because we were on a princess excursion, they waited for us. Otherwise, we would have been SOL.

We would never have tried to do this excursion on our own - too time consuming, and I could see many pitfalls out there. Both places are beautiful, and worth several hours if you want to truly enjoy them.

As far as food, here's what I figured out - you cannot take fruit or anything that is not pre-packaged off the ship. I know some people have no problem with doing something like that, but if hubby or I got in trouble for something like that, we would likely lose our jobs. Just not worth it to us.

We just got back from our trip and did the ship Star Princess's excursion to Tulum and Xel-Ha. I would NOT recommend doing it all in one day. It was tough. We tendered, then took the tendered to Cozumel, then took the ferry to Playa del Carmen. Then met our tour guide at the dock. Then walked 4 plus blocks (hubby says it was about 1-1/2 to 2 miles) to get to the bus. At the bus, they gave us a snack bag that had lots of pre-packaged food in it. Muffins, a fruit bar, crackers, some non-cheese cheese puffs, apple juice, a banana.

We then drove to Tulum. The guide told us there was a trolley that we could take to the entrance but told us not to and that it was very dangerous (he went on and on about this), so we walked to the entrance. Less of a hike than to the bus, but still a hike, especially after having to do the first one. Then entrance to Tulum and a bit more walking.

Tulum itself was amazing. We had about an hour or so there, with our tour guide, and then to get back to the bus. We saw the beach from the top, did not go down. When we went back from the entrance, we paid the $2 to take the trolley. Very well worth the money. Then went to the bus. We had no time to get food, but there were restaurants there where you could get something to go.

Then on to Xel-Ha which is very close to Tulum. We had about 2 hours there. We spent about 1/2 hour walking to the "Star Princess special area", and getting a locker (that was a nightmare). We changed and were able to play in the water about an hour. No one ever asked us about the biodegradeable sunscreen, but we did have it, and there were signs. We did use it. We found the natural sun screen at Wild Oats. Kiss My face also sells a brand, and you can find it online. There are lots of food places at Xel-Ha as well.

When we left, we had to wait for two guys who were very late for our bus. Made us late for our ferry, and late back to the ship. Thankfully because we were on a princess excursion, they waited for us. Otherwise, we would have been SOL.

We would never have tried to do this excursion on our own - too time consuming, and I could see many pitfalls out there. Both places are beautiful, and worth several hours if you want to truly enjoy them.

As far as food, here's what I figured out - you cannot take fruit or anything that is not pre-packaged off the ship. I know some people have no problem with doing something like that, but if hubby or I got in trouble for something like that, we would likely lose our jobs. Just not worth it to us.

HI

I Will be Doing the same Tour except throught RCCL. If you would not mind a General Question. At Tulum did you have any free time To Wander around or was it Tour and then on the bus.

I know that it Might be different, but just Curious

Thanks

ISTDS

In Tulum, our tour guide took about 45 minutes, and then we had about 45 minutes to walk around and then get back to the bus (about a 10-15 minute walk), so not a whole lot of time.

It really was beautiful though and I would recommend it. It's just really hard to do both places in one day.

In Tulum, our tour guide took about 45 minutes, and then we had about 45 minutes to walk around and then get back to the bus (about a 10-15 minute walk), so not a whole lot of time.

It really was beautiful though and I would recommend it. It's just really hard to do both places in one day.

Thank You So Much For the reply. I Still have time to think About this and decide. As we Dont Cruise till March 24th.

If you Dont mind another Question. I see that you said the tram was worth the Money. Why are the tour Guides saying it was dangerous??

I am just afraid that With My Asthma I Might need to use it. Also with My Wifes Bad back it might Be Needed.

Thanks Again

ISTDS

I think the reason the tour guides were saying it was dangerous was mostly because it would separate you from your group, and it probably can't hold an entire tour group.

It is one or two wagon type things with bench seats, with a tractor or something in front. Not the most comfortable ride (hit every single pothole) but much better than walking. The area is flat (except for the potholes) so the worst that could probably happen is that you get stuck in the mud and have to walk...

I would do it that way again. $2 each way per person.

Archived