Splendour of the Seas

willing292

We were on Splendour for transatlantic on 10-29-06.

We were told there was a concierge lounge but when we boarded we were told,

1. It was just a trial run.

2. It was closed for renovation

3. It might be open before the cruise was over. Never was.

4. May resume for the caribbean season.

So, take your pick.

Since there wasn't any concierge lounge, we assumed we would receive other perks, since we were in an owner's suite. Howeer we received none.

Perhaps, someone who has been on the Splendour since she returned to the caribbean can tell you if the lounge has opened.

Carabou1,

I think that may still be the case. I saw they did have a concierge lounge, however the doors were always shut and I did not try to enter. I did pass by a bunch of times and never saw anyone in or around that room. (has frosted glass windows and doors so you can hardly see inside, but you could tell if anyone was in the room)

Rena,

no specialty restaurants yet.

ekmvikingqueen,

We did not see any lobster on the menu's.

Yes the rooms are small, the inside cabin that our friend had was "large inside"@149sq feet, but the room did not feel crowded. We had balcony room and it is about 193 sq feet, which is bigger than the new ships D1 catagory @189sq feet.

Anyone out there going on the 12/11/06 Splendor of the Seas? We've got a group going and a few of us have some questions. Any lobster? Taxis in Nassau for Island tour? Staterooms REALLY small? Would appreciate any info. Thanks

Spring is correct. The Splendor leaves on 12/9 from Galveston and goes to Mexico, not the Bahamas (unless something changed and they forgot to tell me:eek: ). But, I am also curious about the last sailing (and the first) since she came back from the Transatlantic. I would love to hear some reviews. I posted a message on the 11/20 roll call yesterday and haven't seen a message posted since. It would be great to hear from any of you that just came back on Saturday. Glad to hear about the comfy beds!

Hi..

DH & I...DD and SIL went on the SOS this past week. We came back into Galveston on Sat. It's a beautiful ship. We only had one other cruise to compare it to as we did the Grand Princess two years ago, same exact itinery. Our room was on deck 8, a JR SUITE. It was perfect..size wise. However, there were a lot of kids on the Thanksgiving week cruise and deck 8 is under the pool. Needless to say..we heard stomping and furniture being moved, and running into the wee hours of the morning. We would prob not book on that deck again. I believe there was a lobster night, on the Cozumel day..but we got back too late to enjoy that. The food in the dining room was good but not great, and we were not impressed at all with the windjammer. One day, they did have a barbeque on deck..(the last sea day) and it was the best food on the ship! It was awesome. The shows were good, not great. Comedian was funny, we did enjoy him. I loved the Atrium..it is gorgeous!!!!! Water pressure in the room was awesome. No little shampoos and conditioners like on Princess. There was a dispenser in the tub..maybe shampoo? Im not sure..so I brought my own little bottles. :) TOO MANY unsupervised kids. That really put a damper on stuff... They were running into us..sliding down balconies.. jumping in elevators....knocking on doors...removing door decor. Never had that on the last cruise, but that is probably due to a holiday cruise. Sad parents allow them to just run wild though! New bedding is wonderful! We loved it..soooo inviting to climb into at night. Our room steward did a GREAT job keeping our room very clean.

DD & SIL had an inside room on deck 8 and it was a nice room and sufficient for them. It wasn't the smallest inside room though. Our other friends had the Royal Suite. Oh MY GOSH..it was beautiful!!!!!! They were on deck 8 too and complained of the noise as well.

Hope that helps some. Ohhh the shops are good too. Bought a nice watch for $10 and some alcohol for great prices as well!

Happy Sailing!!!

Deb

Hi..

DH & I...DD and SIL went on the SOS this past week. We came back into Galveston on Sat. It's a beautiful ship. We only had one other cruise to compare it to as we did the Grand Princess two years ago, same exact itinery. Our room was on deck 8, a JR SUITE. It was perfect..size wise. However, there were a lot of kids on the Thanksgiving week cruise and deck 8 is under the pool. Needless to say..we heard stomping and furniture being moved, and running into the wee hours of the morning. We would prob not book on that deck again. I believe there was a lobster night, on the Cozumel day..but we got back too late to enjoy that. The food in the dining room was good but not great, and we were not impressed at all with the windjammer. One day, they did have a barbeque on deck..(the last sea day) and it was the best food on the ship! It was awesome. The shows were good, not great. Comedian was funny, we did enjoy him. I loved the Atrium..it is gorgeous!!!!! Water pressure in the room was awesome. No little shampoos and conditioners like on Princess. There was a dispenser in the tub..maybe shampoo? Im not sure..so I brought my own little bottles. :) TOO MANY unsupervised kids. That really put a damper on stuff... They were running into us..sliding down balconies.. jumping in elevators....knocking on doors...removing door decor. Never had that on the last cruise, but that is probably due to a holiday cruise. Sad parents allow them to just run wild though! New bedding is wonderful! We loved it..soooo inviting to climb into at night. Our room steward did a GREAT job keeping our room very clean.

DD & SIL had an inside room on deck 8 and it was a nice room and sufficient for them. It wasn't the smallest inside room though. Our other friends had the Royal Suite. Oh MY GOSH..it was beautiful!!!!!! They were on deck 8 too and complained of the noise as well.

Hope that helps some. Ohhh the shops are good too. Bought a nice watch for $10 and some alcohol for great prices as well!

Happy Sailing!!!

Deb

And is there a Concierge Club and was it open?

Annieeee

Thank you Deb! This will be my first time to cruise on RCCL and guess what? My cabin is on deck 8! :eek: We booked an IS guarantee for this cruise and ended up with a larger interior on deck 8 about 3/4 of the way towards the back of the ship, port side (left side?). I'm not familiar with the layout but I have a feeling the pool will be towards the rear and I'll be right under it. But, on 12/9 I wouldn't think there would be too many rowdy kids. I hope not anyway. I might call tomorrow and see if we can get a cabin on deck 7. I assume the Windjammer is the buffet? Is it on deck 9 also? The food on SOS sounds comparable to Carnival and NCL.

Was the pool crowded? How was Costa Maya? I've never been and haven't made any plans yet. Need to read the reviews still. Too bad the lobster was on Cozumel day. That's my favorite meal.

Did they have a Piano Bar or any other nice bar that you could go listen to music (other than the disco?)

Would like to hear from anyone else that just got back as well.

Thanks again Deb!

We will be on Thursday! We have a corner aft on deck 8. Glad to hear the beds are better as the old ones were horrible. Sorry to hear about the Windjammer. This has been our major gripe about this specific ship. How is it that the other ships can manage to make the Windjammer a good experience but the Splendour consistantly cannot? We are taking friends for their very first cruise and can't wait to get them addicted. :)

We are looking forward to it. I don't care about the Windjammer as we only dine there the first day since nothing else is open.

We just returned from the Mariner last month and was also on the Rhapsody in September. We loved Costa Maya! We did the jungle beach break! It was fun! loved it!

Take care. :)

Thanks so much for your review - we are going on the Splendour in February and was nervous that we may not like it since we have been on the Mariner and Jewel which were awesome? We are bringing our two teenage boys - are there alot to do for a 17 and 13 yr old?

We just arrived, today in Galveston back from a 5 day cruise on the Spendour of the Seas. I took my 74 year old mother on her first cruise and she was hesitant at first. The ships crew were so nice and accomodating and she ended up loving every minute. The crew are comprised from 52 foreign countries and we enjoyed asking them about their native land. The Wind-jammer breakfast was wonderful! The shows with the RC singers and dancers were top notch. The weather in Cozumel and Costa Maya was warm and inviting! This was my second cruise on the Splendour and I will be very sad to bid her farewell.

Archived