A-Z Jamaica Planners

DreDay

We booked the Mayfield Falls and Dr. Caves Beach excursion with A-Z planners and we had a great time. Our driver was Clive and he was right inside the port in Jamaica with a big sign. We spotted him right away.

We went up and introduced ourselves and he advised us we were still waiting for another group of 4 and then we would be on our way. The group of 4 arrived with 2 extra people and Clive agreed that it would be okay for all of us to go. He led us through the port building and outside through a gate where he asked us to wait until he got a van. We waited for about 10 minutes and then he arrived with a newer van with a/c. There was 12 of us total with the two extra people and it was really packed in the van. I was a bit nervous that there were no seatbelts. I had kids 11, 8, 5 and I am a paranoid mama.:D

We were on our way to Mayfield Falls. Jamaica is beautiful but very poor. It's different than anything I've seen before. At first the roads to Mayfield falls are fine but eventually you turn off onto what seems like a one way road that people are driving both ways on. It is not a busy road, but when you do pass someone it is scarry. The edge of the road is like a cliff so the drive to Mayfield is defiantley an experience.

On the way, Clive stopped and bought us some sugarcane from a local.

When we finally got to the falls, we met our tour guide and we were off to the falls!! Let me tell you the walk to the falls is a long walk and is a bit difficult in some spots. DH and DB plus a few of the others in our group slipped a couple of times. We are in good shape and fairly young and this was a workout. The other group of people we were with were probably mid 50's or so and some had a difficult time. I think one turned back and opted not to do the falls after all. Once you get to the falls they are really beautiful. The water is a little chilly but so gorgeous. This was a great experience.

After the falls we were supposed to go to Dr. Caves Beach but Clive ended up taking us to a place called Aqua Sol Beach Park. It was a very small beach with a restaurant. I was not impressed with this beach at all. I wish we would have gone to Dr. Caves like we were sheduled. I'm not sure why we ended up there. I think maybe because we wanted to eat too. This beach was clean and the food was okay but it was very small. My kids had a blast though and that's what counts. Our waiter was a friend of Clive's and he made sure we were attended to very well. The food was expensive and not just okay.

All in all we had a lovely experience and would not hesitate to book with A-Z again.

I also have the same excursion planned with A-Z planners. I was surprised to hear that the walk to the Falls was tedious. I was told that the water at this fall was like mineral water and much better than the water at Dunns Rivers falls. Have you done Dunns? I did Dunns and I thought the water was extremely cold. We will be taken to a local eatery which will cost us about six dollars a person. Then, they will take us to Dr. Cave's Beach. Based on your experience, I now know not to allow them to deviate from the original plans. Thanks for the information.

I also have the same excursion planned with A-Z planners. I was surprised to hear that the walk to the Falls was tedious. I was told that the water at this fall was like mineral water and much better than the water at Dunns Rivers falls. Have you done Dunns? I did Dunns and I thought the water was extremely cold. We will be taken to a local eatery which will cost us about six dollars a person. Then, they will take us to Dr. Cave's Beach. Based on your experience, I now know not to allow them to deviate from the original plans. Thanks for the information.

I have never done Dunns Rivers. The falls themselves were not bad to walk, it was just the walk to get to the falls that was a little tedious. I don't want to make it seem like it was an impossible walk but definatlely don't wear sandals. I had on water shoes as did my kids and we were okay. The guides were excellent at lending anyone a hand to anyone that needed help. The falls were shallow and easier to navigate. Even my kids were pretty well off here. When it did get a little swift I was okay carrying or holding on to them. The water was definatley chilly. We are from AZ so I am a big wimp on water temp. Once your in though its delightful.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We just got back from the Freedom of the Seas cruise (the shortened version)--we arranged with A-Z Jamaica Planners for a tour in Montego Bay. As soon as we got off the ship, there was a representative holding a sign identifying herself---within 5-10 minutes, our driver (Paul) arrived. There were four of us, and we were with him for 7 hours--7:30 am to 2:30 pm. We went to Mayfield Falls, Rockland Bird Sanctuary, short tour of the city, and then stopped to eat at the Jamaica Bobsled Cafe. Paul stopped several times to show us native plants. He was very knowledgeable about his country---shared that information with us but at the same time he wasn't a constant nonstop talker so we were able to ask questions and just sit back and enjoy the ride.

We were the only ones on the tour--which is a big plus in my book. We were able to take our time and set our own pace.

When going on these tours, make sure you bring some money for tips---we tipped our guide at Mayfield Falls, and the employees at Rockland said "tips were appreciated" (they weren't demanding, just mentioned it in passing).

We were also on the shortened Freedom Itinerary (Dec. 12-17). Since we lost our other 2 scheduled ports with reserved excursions, I wanted to do an excursion in Jamaica. We were in a group of 80 and many opted to go on the ship's excursion to Dunns River Falls. I felt like the falls would be overly crowded due to the change in the itinerary. I found 23 out of our group that agreed and wanted to try Mayfield falls. I submitted several requests to Belinda at A-Z planners and by the time we left port she had everything arranged.

When we arrived at Jamaica, "Doc" was waiting with a motorcoach in EXCELLENT condition that could seat 25. The trip to Mayfield falls was an adventure, going up a narrow winding mountain road. Doc was an excellent driver and handled oncoming traffic with NO PROBLEM, MON!!! He was also very informative as he narrated our drive.

When we got to Mayfield, my mother had to stay behind at the visitor center because the hike would be too difficult for her with her artificial knees. She is 72. However, my mother-in-law (age 58, I think) also had artificial knees but the tourguide helped her with alternate paths so that she could do almost the entire tour. I'm giving these details to let you know that the tour is mildly strenuous but can be done...my mother-in-law was so thrilled that she did it and loved every minute of it.

Before we left we rented a locker for $5 and it held everyone's belongings. It was padlocked by our tourguide when everything was in. I was a little nervous to leave my wallet but everything was secure and in place when we returned. Our tourguide was a rosterman (sp?) with long dredlocks...he was great...he and his partners helped everyone, while telling us about the surroundings, plantlife, and so-on. Some of us even sampled Jamaican curry or tumeric! Best of all, it was NOT CROWDED AT ALL...just our group went up the falls at that particular time! The falls were BEAUTIFUL. Several of us commented that we preferred this trip to our trip to Dunns River Falls on our last visit to Jamaica. It was much less commercialized - you felt like you were hiking up a river surrounded by jungle! If you go, plan on tipping these tourguides...they are excellent and definitely deserve a good tip!!!

"Doc" then took us to eat in Montego Bay at a Jerk Barbeque stand. IT WAS GREAT and very reasonable. We were supposed to go to Margeritaville but everyone opted to shop instead. We made it back to the ship by 3:30.

Before this cruise, I was hesitant to use a local tour agency, especially in Jamaica. However, my experience with A-Z Jamaica Planners has changed all that and I will definitely use them again if I return to Jamaica. Belinda is fantastic and her communication and organzational skills are exceptional. "Doc" was GREAT (and got a well-deserved tip from us) and I have read praises about others on staff. Don't hesitate to book with A-Z...you will be glad you did!!!

We were in Jamaica - Montego Bay off the Coral Princess early this month. We went on a tour with A-Z and our tour guide was Mark.

We went to Rockland Bird Sanctuary (I highly recommend this - it was soo cool to hand feed the humming birds!) - A jerk place for lunch - Shopping - and a beach. This was our first cruise and I had heard such scary stuff about Jamaica and I don't like to shop and I was really apprehensive about being harrassed.

The place Mark took us for shopping was like a strip mall that was a square with a courtyard in the center. I bought some coffee and then sat and waited for our friend in the gazebo in the center. No-one bothered us at all.

The jerk chicken was wonderful! My DH had the pork which he also really liked. Mark was very knowledgable and stopped along the way to have some sugar cane cut for us. The staff at the bird sanctuary showed us alot of the native fauna as well. The beach was one where he could drive in and park and wait for us and there was live music and a beautiful beach. There were only three of us on the tour and it was a perfect day!

As I said - this was our first cruise and at other ports we used the cruise line tours - huge buses full of people - lots of waiting - this was so much better!

No problem mon!! I'd go back and do a tour with A-Z in a minute!!

We felt very safe with Paul from A-Z. While driving, we were approached only once at a stoplight--a young man wanted to wash our windshields--Paul said something to him and he nodded his head and walked away.

We also asked Paul to stop at a grocery store so we could pick up some Red Stripe beer and miscellaneous items. He accompanied us into the store--made recommendations for some rum---and assisted us with checking out--explaining the conversion between U.S. and Jamaica money. If you are in Jamaica and decide to go to the grocery store, make sure you have some small bills with you---they take U.S. cash but are unable to make change. Our bill was $12 U.S. for chips, rum, and red stripe beer, but I only had a twenty--so hubby had to run back out and get some smaller denominations.

As I said in an earlier post, I highly recommend A-Z and would definitely use them again.

Seamor, you're not confused..you're correct! Dunn's River Falls is in Ocho Rios and the Mayfield Falls Riverwalk is in the hills above and a bit south of MoBay.

Tour companies from MoBay will take you to Ochi and Ochi companies will take you to MoBay...it's all in what the client requests. A reputable tour company should/will explain to anyone sending an inquiry the time it takes to get to the destination you've asked about...and suggest an alternative if it seems you might be rushed, or traveling in a vehicle longer than you're actually at a particular activity site...then the final choice is left to the client.

A-Z has excursions in both Montego Bay and Ocho Rios---we used them to go to Dunns River Falls while docked in Ocho Rios, and again this month to go to Mayfield Falls while in Montego Bay. The Freedom of the Seas actually offered an excursion to Dunns River from Montego Bay, but I think you spent a long time in transit--2+ hours.

The drive to Dunns River Falls from Ocho Rios is fairly quick on paved, city roads. The drive to Mayfield Falls from Montego Bay is longer---approx. 60-75 minutes--the trip is on a mountain road and is "windy" with a lot of curves and some potholes. Dunns River Falls and Mayfield Falls are two distinctly different excursions and environments.

If you email Belinda at A-Z, she will answer all of your questions---we had many questions about transit time, level of difficulty of the falls, places for lunch, prices, etc----she answered all of them.

We did the tour last January and I would not recommend to take the video camera. You give the camera to the tour guide and he takes the pics. Maybe the regular camera. We took a throw away camera to take pics. They took pretty good ones you just don't get the zoom and all the good stuff. There was another couple that was right behind us and there guide had there good camera and he seemed to be pretty careful with it.

• 2 weeks later...

We went to Mayfield Falls in Nov. I wouldn't recommend a camera that can not get wet. Bring a disposable water proof camera. We have a water proof digital camera that we love. It works very well.

Here's some pics if interested:

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2212828370038640397uteeTb

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2264392240038640397ZNdtAe

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2781348700038640397mhQlsU

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2982848820038640397EWoxfm

This was a new spot for DH and I so we were excited to see Jamaica despite all the bad talk it received! I researched MB forever prior to the cruise and decided to go with a local tour guide (A-Z planners) This was the best thing we did!! I have to say that I want another cruise that includes Jamaica so I can use them again! If you have any doubts..push them aside, you are in great hands. we went into the terminal and instantly saw a man holding an A-Z Planners sign, we went over to him and we were told that it was only going to be the 4 of us! How cool was that! He took us to our driver~Mark and an older little van perfect for just us. He was full of information as we drove out of the city. He is quite the "funny guy" telling jokes that were not that funny but the way he told them we were laughing non stop!

:eek: I have not told you what tour we chose...Mayfield Falls...it is the BEST thing we have ever done!

We headed off the main road up into the mountains. The area was so green adn beautiful. This drive took a while but we really enjoyed the ride and the conversation. The road here was dirt and pretty narrow, and then Maek informed us that we would be getting to a road that was half the size and that there would still be 2 lane traffic. It was a little scary when we got on that road and then met a big truck...but this is what they do and I never felt unsafe...one just stopped and let the other go. About 50-60 min later we were at Mayfield falls. This area is so pretty. Mark walked us down an inclined area(there was a hand rail) he took us over to our next guide-Carter. Then he went back up to the van. There was a changing area here and locker for your stuff. They ask you not to wear sunscreen because it can get slippery but we already had put it on. We then headed over a cool bridge (Carter took our picture) The river was mineral water and it was cool, crisp and very rejuvinating! Remember I said that the air was cool, well when we were in the river, there was no breeze (that I remember at least) and the sun was blocked mostly by the trees...but for whatever reason it was warm and the cool water did not even make us cold. He told us we were going to get wet anyway so he had is get into the deeper water right away~it was a shock but oh what a good feeling!

We then proceded down the river stopping at areas to sit against the rocks with the water running over your back..it was pretty forceful.. and felt like a jacuzzi. Several picture ops along the way. The water level ranged from just over your shoes to having to swim across (very short area and there were other ways around these spots as Carter never got wet above his knees) There were places that were deep and if you wanted to (which we did) you could jump off a rock into the water (not deep enough to dive), one place we stood on a rock at the water level, below us was a hole through the rock (beneath water level) you could go under the water and swim through the tunnel end up on the other side. It was really cool. At the end of the walk there is the "washing machine" all these waterfalls over the rocks in one area, it is loud and a lot of falling water in one area. Behind the biggest waterfall is an indentation where you can kiss your loved one! It was amazing walking behind the waterfall and having a private moment with DH.

At this point we leave the river and head back up and walk back on land. This was also very pretty and Carter would stop and show us different plants. Before you are done you have one more time in the deeper water in the river and then the tour is over:( This is the spot where they basically ask you for a tip. We bought him a beer at the bar and tipped him $20 I am not sure where this falls in the tipping range. (I did not research that and I wish I had we had no idea how much to tip him)

The facilities were decent here, they had bathrooms, changing area, bar, and gift shops. Carter walked us back up to Mark.

After that we headed back down the mountain, we even snoozed a little. Then he took us to the Jerk Hut (I think that was the name) We had jerked pork and chicken. It was wonderful!

Mark then took us to a no haggle shopping area...this I would skip not much in the stores and we are not big shoppers as it is. We bought a couple postcards and headed out.

The last thing we did was go to Margaritaville. This was also fun. GF and I got in the water and layed on the floating cement thing (like a big mat) I tried to go on the water tramp but I could not get on the silly thing!:o DH and GFDH went down the waterslide...they said it shot them out like a gun it was so fast, GF and I opted not to try it. The margarita on the rocks was awful and pricey so I would not recommend that, but the frozen margaritas looked good. Mark had asked how long we wanted to stay at Margaritaville so after an hour we headed back out to the street to meet Mark and he took us back to the ship. We got on about 10 min before the required time.

It was a great day and I would recommend this to anyone.

• 1 month later...

Again, our trip was superb! The trip to the river was the highlight of our vacation! Seeing grandma (75 y.o.) in such comfort, ease and joy while river tubing was enough for us to say- voila! We have not laughed this hard in a long time. Thank you for Mickey (our driver), for safety as a voucher of A-Z Jamaica Planners priority, knowledge, and willingness to adapt to our schedule! We can’t wait to visit Jamaica again- with (of course) the guidance of yet another A-Z Jamaica Planners guide… Our warmest regards- the Santelises & family.

• 1 month later...

Archived