Air & transfer questions: DFW to Galveston

Wilson

We have always driven down from Dallas/FTW, but have considered flying to Houston and catching a shuttle into Galveston. Arriving a day early or staying a day later is not an option. We would use Southwest airlines since they have the best price, but it has to be booked today for the $39 each way promo rate. If we book our own air we are not sure what time we should arrive at Houston Hobby to make certain we are at the dock well before the 5pm departure. Currently they have the following arrival times: 1 and 1:30. Ship returns to Galveston at 7am. What time should we book the return flight in order to allow for transfer to airport? They have the following departure flights: 10, 11 and noon. Which shuttle/limo service would you recommend? Other concerns...what if the flight is delayed or they lose our luggage. Maybe the 5 hour drive is still the better of the two choices. Decisions, decisions. Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions.

We have used in the past Galveston Limo...........I think their website is galvestonlimoservice.com.........it will list the pick up times at Houston Hobby which I think begin at 6:30am. Takes about an hour to get to Galveston. It is a van they use for transportation.

Being a fellow Texan ( go Cowboys )...And having lived both here and in the DFW area....I would just drive...I know its great airfare...But ..the shuttle situation here is so iffy...Very limited,a little pricey...

By the time you drive to either DFW or Love (thanks to the repealed Wright ammenment:) ) ...do the whole security thing,deal with luggage...make the 55 min flight...Unload at hobby..(which is really a pretty easy airport to navigate )....catch your shuttle...make it to the port...

I just would not want the hassle,the risk of something happening to the flight...(although SW has lots of flights ) and all the deal with luggage etc...and well..The shuttle both ways could cost nearly 200 depending on how many you have...

If it were me...I would leave about 5 am...make Houston by 8 to avoid any traffic (even on weekends) hit Galveston By 9 or 10....have breakfast...park at EZ cruise...which I think will still shuttle your luggage...And be on the ship by 11 0r 12...

If you do fly...I would take the 130 flight just to be safe..

We live 20 min from the port...And the latest we have gotten home has been 1130...But....(and a very large but..) we have friends or family pick us up...We don't have to deal with shuttles, etc...

The other thing I have no clue about the RCI shuttles..But I am not 100% that they even run to Hobby..I know Carnival does..

The other shuttle I would recommend would be

Galveston Limo..Not a limo,but a van shuttle..They have the most experience with the cruise port..Offer the most shuttles,and serve both airports...

what if the flight is delayed or they lose our luggage
You are hosed.
Maybe the 5 hour drive is still the better of the two choices
Think of the trip from driveway to port. How much shorter is flying than driving? Maybe an hour, not more than 2. Is it worth it?

Driving seems like the better choice. Looks like a lot less $. More $ to spend on the cruise. Math it out both ways. And, way less complicated according to Mr. Murphy who wrote, what can go wrong, will go wrong.

Drive to airport (?) park there, baggage, flight, get shuttle, arrive in afternoon on cruise day. (less time on ship). On post cruise, have to get off ship quickly for shuttle, to catch a noon flight. Earlier flights really short on time. Flight back, baggage, home.

Keep it simple. You will be happier, more relaxed, more $ in your pocket.

Good luck whatever you choose.

I know the drive stinks and we have thought about flying too, but the time saved will not amount to much with having to be at the airport 1 1/2-2 hours early, the drive from the house to the airport, then the hour flight, then waiting for a shuttle and the 45 minute drive to Galveston, you are looking at about 5 hours anyway.

Noon is really pushing your luck for a return flight. When we got back to Galveston in May, it took us a REALLY long time to get through immigrations. I think we got out at almost 11:00am. I'm not sure if this was a Carnival problem or a Port of Galveston problem, but it was very frustrating and I felt sorry for the people who were in a hurry to catch flights. If it were me, I would get a return flight no earlier than 2:00pm to give you plenty of time.

Archived