First time I have ever used Priceline, trouble booking a Miami Hotel

trilinearmipmap

My wife and I are going on a cruise from Miami April 22nd.

I tried to book one night pre-cruise on Priceline for Saturday April 21st. I tried for a four-star downtown Miami hotel and made several bids up to $92.00 and I keep getting rejected. I see other people getting the same hotel in wintertime for around $85.00, and I figured it would be cheaper in April. Since I have never used Priceline before I have a few questions about how to do this the best.

1. Is it correct that the hotel ought to be cheaper in April than in December in Miami?

2. Should I wait until closer to the date of the cruise for Priceline prices to come down?

3. Is there something I don't know about, like a holiday, sports event or huge conference, on that weekend that is keeping prices up? (I am from Canada and I don't know the local American holidays or events).

Any help with this will be much appreciated.

Mid to late April is spring break for a lot of schools and colleges, much busier time than say early December so prices are likely to be high. I've only used priceline a couple of times and both times was less than a month from check-in date.

Have a traditional reservation in place with the hotel of your choice. Continue trying PL up until your travel date. If nothing comes thru on PL at least you have a regular reservation to fall back on. If PL comes thru for you cancel the regular reservation. Don't give up, good luck. ;)

I am from Canada

Make sure you are registered on Priceline with an address that can be interpreted as being an American address. Also Priceline won't accept Canadian Visa cards. I have an American Express Card that I use for Priceline.

I mention these things because not complying can result in not having your bid accepted.

I also had trouble with Priceline. I wanted to book the IC in Miami for 4/21/07 precruise on the Valor. They did not accept my bids up to $125. for one night, so I used Hotwire. I booked the IC (customer favorite with a laundry center, 4 stars in Downtown Miami clues) and I got the IC for $179. Still alot cheaper than the hotel's site rate of $379. Hope this helps. I probably need some more Priceline education!

trilinearmipmap - We have used Priceline and we are from Canada. They DO take Canadian credit cards - we used our Mastercard. We got Hyatt Pier 66 in April of last year for $160 (I believe the hotel's price at that time was close to $400) - March and April are much higher than the winter months due to spring break/Easter time. We are going on two cruises next year - one in late March and one in early October and the hotel rates are like night and day! For example, we can get one hotel for $170/nite in October and the same hotel in March/April is $379/nite - just to give you an idea. If you bid up to $150 or so, you may have better luck. Someone mentioned expedia - every time I have checked a price on expedia - booking with the hotel directly has always been cheaper. Don't forget that the hotels accept Canadian automobile cards (like BCAA) as being equivalent to their American AAA - which can save you sometimes 30% off your room.

Good luck!

Canuck

We tried Priceline over Thanksgiving, for March 4th pre-cruise night. Bidding 4 star downtown which is either IC or Hyatt. We went up to 100, I believe, so interesting to know you went to 115. We went to Hotwire and booked the Hyatt for 116, excluding taxes. After all our searching, and Pricelining, we felt this was a decent price, and we were tired of hasseling. Will be interested in the final resolution to your problem.

It may be early to get a room on Priceline for late April. Hotels must release rooms to Priceline for them to be available.

Do not get discouraged. Book a room for the date you need via another source at a price you are ok with. Just make sure it is a cancellable reservation. Then continue to bid on Priceline.

I was getting frustrated by Priceline for a room in Fort Lauderdale in January. Started bidding in August. In early October my bid was accepted.

So November may be too early for a room the end of April. Doesn't matter how high you bid, if the hotel has not released rooms to Priceline.

Archived