Just got back from Orient beach

cluemeister

Took a taxi from St. Maarten to Orient beach on the French side. The St. Maarten pier is much improved since our last visit in 2000, including posted cab fares to popular places. $6 a head to the beach in a large van.

Orient Beach was beautiful, the waves gentle enough but high enough for the kids to have fun. Sand was gorgeous. Chairs and umbrellas expensive.

This is a topless beach, but out of a few hundred people I saw that day, there were probably 6-8 without tops.

Jet ski, parasailing, etc available at the beach.

Took a taxi from St. Maarten to Orient beach on the French side. The St. Maarten pier is much improved since our last visit in 2000, including posted cab fares to popular places. $6 a head to the beach in a large van.

Orient Beach was beautiful, the waves gentle enough but high enough for the kids to have fun. Sand was gorgeous. Chairs and umbrellas expensive.

This is a topless beach, but out of a few hundred people I saw that day, there were probably 6-8 without tops.

Jet ski, parasailing, etc available at the beach.

Hi cluemeister,

We will be in St Maarten in Jan. and are interested in going to the butterfly farm first then doing Orient Beach. Can you tell me if there are any Restaurants there, how expensive, and just how expensive are the chairs and umbrellas? Also are there any places there to get drinks? And yes how expensive? Do yo know how much it will cost to get from pier to beach?

Thank you

We passed the butterfly farm on the way to Orient Beach. At the beach, there is a place to eat, (a kind of beachfront bar with food) and a wandering bartender who offered drinks. Two chairs and an umbrella were $15. There is also a Haagen Daz stand at the beach.

The ride to Orient was about 20 minutes, as you're going from the Dutch side to the French side. Cab (a/c van) fare was $6 each. It can be as high as $9 each if there are only a few of you. What was nice at St. Maarten was the new pier constructed in '02 had posted prices for rides to different parts of the island. There was no pressure to haggle or feel like you were going to get ripped off. Just walk off the ship, past the shops, and you'll end up in a cul-de-sac of cabs with lots of good signage about tours and cab fares.

It is a beautiful beach.

There are over a dozen restaurants to eat at Orient Beach. They all line the beach so you can just walk down the beach and pick one that looks good. You can either eat on your beach chair or sit in the restaurant. There are also additional restaurants in Orient Village which is next to the beach near the parking lot. On Orient Beach you could end up spending $15-20 pp for lunch. I think one of the cheapest places on Orient Beach is Baywatch Bar. It's owned by Americans and definately has an American motif, menu, and ambiance. The prices are very good for Orient. If you want something with more of a French feel you may want to try Bikini Beach Bar, Kontiki, Waikiki...etc. Like I said, there are over a dozen of them.

let's say we didn't want to eat on the beach.....could we stay onboard and eat a late breakfast...get off the ship at say...11 then return to the ship by 3'ish and grab a snack at the afternoon buffet? does this work? i'm asking for friends who are "cruising on a budget":rolleyes:

It sounds like your priority is "travel to eat". I would just tell the room steward that you need a feed bag to take with you to the beach. That might help avoid starvation.

You can certainly skip eating at Orient Beach by timing your breakfast & lunch on board ship.

Another idea is to bring a small softside cooler from home plus some ziplocs and fix some "snacks" from breakfast buffet (rolls, cold cuts, fruit) and maybe buy a cold coke or beer from a bar (or we brought our own on board) -- fill another ziploc with ice -- and you've got what you need for a light picnic at beach.

We've done this numerous times from cruise ships and from timeshare condos staying on island.

Yes we did last year, another thing is order some cookies and cheese the night before and take in the small cooler. We always carry a back pack and a small soft cooler to go inside because DH is diabetic so on some excursions we do have to pack some foodies in case his sugar takes a dive. WE have a refrid. in our room because of his meds. so it is easy for us to store food and drinks.

You aren't supposed to take food off the ship. On RCI last week the Compass said no food can be taken off the ship.

I think you can take off sealed things, ie, cereal in the small paks that are at breakfast. Just as you can't get into the US carrying meat, breads etc. you can't go to the islands with them.

I don't believe any cabin steward on any line will bring you things to take off the ship. I'm not trying to put a damper on your vacation, but do realize the islands are their own countries and have different rules.

I would suggest you either eat at a local restaurant, or go back on the ship to get some lunch. It's not worth getting caught and fined for bringing food off the ship. JMO

Katie

I was wondering if the cruise line allowed us to take food off the ship, I don't remember reading anything about that on any of our past cruises. I wouldn't want to be doing anything illegal/against the rules, and we do not have a medical reason to be needing to take the food off, so the cooler idea is out for us.

The only way I would ever go back to the ship to eat lunch is if I was very close by that I could get back on grab a quick bite and get off again very quickly, I wouldn't want to miss out on any of our island time. We always choose very port intensive cruises and we like to take advantage of every second we can on all the islands.

You aren't supposed to take food off the ship. On RCI last week the Compass said no food can be taken off the ship.

I think you can take off sealed things, ie, cereal in the small paks that are at breakfast. Just as you can't get into the US carrying meat, breads etc. you can't go to the islands with them.

I don't believe any cabin steward on any line will bring you things to take off the ship. I'm not trying to put a damper on your vacation, but do realize the islands are their own countries and have different rules.

Katie

That's a real problem when departing the ship in the morning to go ashore. The lines are LONG while each passenger is strip searched and all their belongings are dumped on a table for a detailed search. Look in the ships jail and you'll see MANY passengers under lock up for trying to smuggle off the ship a banana, cookies or sliced meat between slices of bread. Ask the waiter for a piece of plastic wrap and you'll certainly get thrown off the ship, even while at sea. It's just terrible how they treat passengers !! :eek:

Kal--Not funny. Katiel has a point. On our last 2 cruises we have watched crew members take food away from guests leaving the ship. There is even a separate trash bin that they dump it all in. You don't go to jail, you don't pass GO and you don't collect $200. But you also don't get to take the food off the ship. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen. It does, and some people don't get caught. But, if someone asks a question and then goes out and buys a cooler and fills it with food from the ship, they have the right to know that it will probably be taken away from them. That being said, they might just want to plan on sealed packages of food or buy lunch on the beach. My DH is also a diabetic, but I carry sealed packages of stuff with me. If I left the ship with fruit and meat from the ship and got it taken away as we were leaving for an excursion we could have a serious problem later. OP just needs to know what to expect.

If someone was dragging the food out in a little red wagon, or otherwise fully visible, then they indeed would be headed to the cruise ship prison. Obviously, you put it in a bag just like the beach towel, suntan lotion, camera, etc.

Then you only have the risk of it being found during a STRIP SEARCH.

Like I say, plan ahead and take it with you. Otherwise you will be one of the many cruiser bodies along the roadside who died of starvation on the way to the beach.

let's say we didn't want to eat on the beach.....could we stay onboard and eat a late breakfast...get off the ship at say...11 then return to the ship by 3'ish and grab a snack at the afternoon buffet? does this work? i'm asking for friends who are "cruising on a budget":rolleyes:

The beach in downtown Phillipsburg is lovely. You could actually walk there from the cruise ship pier, probably about a mile, or take a water taxi for a few dollars.

If I were on a budget, that's what I'd do. Because to get to Orient Beach or any one of the others, you've got taxi fare for each person, both ways - minimum $12 per person + tip. Plus your time. If I recall correctly, its at least a 30min ride (if not more) over to the other side of the island. Then you want to rent a chair + umbrella so you're talking another $15 or so per couple. Do you really want to sit on the beach for a couple of hours & not have a drink or 2, even the non-alcoholic kind? Do you really want to visit an island & not get a souvenier?

If you stay in-town at Phillipsburg, pay the $5 for the all-day water taxi so you can go back & forth to your ship as many times as you want. The chair rental should be for all-day, too.

Whatever you decide, have a great time! :)

• 2 weeks later...
If someone was dragging the food out in a little red wagon, or otherwise fully visible, then they indeed would be headed to the cruise ship prison. Obviously, you put it in a bag just like the beach towel, suntan lotion, camera, etc.

Then you only have the risk of it being found during a STRIP SEARCH.

Like I say, plan ahead and take it with you. Otherwise you will be one of the many cruiser bodies along the roadside who died of starvation on the way to the beach.

So, can I assume then that because you feel it is fine to disregard the agricultural laws of the countries/islands we visit, then you wouldn't have minded if I had brought a bunch of fruit to Washington from California during the fruit fly infestations? I mean, who cares that I might have infected the delicious, gorgeous, and profitable apple crops of your lovely state. Right?

Please do not make light of the regulations and laws. They are in place for a reason. And please do not encourage others to break laws just because it's more convenient.

beachchick

If I were on a budget, that's what I'd do. Because to get to Orient Beach or any one of the others, you've got taxi fare for each person, both ways - minimum $12 per person + tip. Plus your time. If I recall correctly, its at least a 30min ride (if not more) over to the other side of the island.

Perhaps I misunderstand the above (Do you mean $6 each way or $12 for the return trip?) but a shared mini-van ride (for each person) to Orient Beach (one way) is about $6 per person not $12. The ride takes about 20-30 minutes depending on traffic. Re: lounger costs on Orient Beach - there are a variety of prices and some throw in a free drink - it pays to shop around rather than just sit with all the other cruisers.

Also frankly the beach at Great Bay is not the cleanest, nicest in comparison to other beaches on the island - it's fine if your main goal is to shop in Philipsburg and then just lie on a beach and have a drink but for swimming etc I personally would choose Orient beach or Dawn beach.

The beach in downtown Phillipsburg is lovely. You could actually walk there from the cruise ship pier, probably about a mile, or take a water taxi for a few dollars.

If I were on a budget, that's what I'd do. Because to get to Orient Beach or any one of the others, you've got taxi fare for each person, both ways - minimum $12 per person + tip. Plus your time. If I recall correctly, its at least a 30min ride (if not more) over to the other side of the island. Then you want to rent a chair + umbrella so you're talking another $15 or so per couple. Do you really want to sit on the beach for a couple of hours & not have a drink or 2, even the non-alcoholic kind? Do you really want to visit an island & not get a souvenier?

If you stay in-town at Phillipsburg, pay the $5 for the all-day water taxi so you can go back & forth to your ship as many times as you want. The chair rental should be for all-day, too.

Whatever you decide, have a great time! :)

This is what we've done the past 2 times we've been in St. Martin, largely because we end up not being able to decide on what to do and we just hop on a water taxi and walk around that area. That said, this Feb when we're on the Serenade we're planning on going to Orient Beach because I've heard it's beautiful and that the beach by the pier is poop compared to other beaches on the island. It IS nice over there (the beach near the pier) though because there arent a ton of tourists. It seemed more like a town beach or something and there were alot of locals swimming in the water. I am excited to see the difference between the beaches this time!

Laura

So, can I assume then that because you feel it is fine to disregard the agricultural laws of the countries/islands we visit...

Please help me here, I thought we were talking about St. Maarten. Could you list the agricultural laws for St. Maarten?

Moreover, you seem to suggest the fruit on the ship is unfit because of infestation with critters. If that's the case, we've got a much bigger problem than with someone taking a few rolls, sliced meats, sliced cheese and making a sandwich to take with them for lunch.

And yes, I would not suggest you Californicate the state of Washington.

kal: My point is that St. Martin has agricultural laws which may prohibit pax (and others) from bringing certain food items onto the island. When we went to St. Martin on a cruise, the ship's daily included a notice that fresh food could not be taken off the ship and there were signs when we disembarked that said the same thing. This may be standard ship procedure, but nearly all island countries do have restrictions on the import of fresh foods. I do not know for a fact that that is the law in St. Martin, just that it was the information given to pax.

The bottom line is that you are encouraging others to sneak fresh food off the ship regardless of legality. Do you know for a fact that it is legal for cruise pax to bring fruit or other fresh food with them off the ship in St. Martin? Would you do it knowing that it was against the ship's regulations and/or against the laws of the country you were visiting?

It has nothing to do with the fruit on the ship being "unfit because of infestation with critters" (and I suspect you know this). It has everything to do with introducing foreign pests of any kind. The natural pests and pathogens of one place may not be harmless when introduced into another place where they do not exist naturally. Yes, it's true that most fruits and vegetables, as well as many meats, cheeses, and breads, carry organics (such as specific microscopic pathogens or even insect larvae) that can cause havoc with other ecosystems, especially the closed ecosystem of an island). Of course the food isn't unfit to eat.

Don't worry, we love your beautiful state but only visit it from time to time. Our DD was born in Portland and has lived in Seattle for more than 10 years. (Oops...she moved there from California, so I guess you don't welcome her as a resident.) We also have friends who live near Seattle. Fortunately, they are not as nasty or reactionary toward Californians. I don't make assumptions about Washington's residents, and I'd be happy to have you visit or even stay in our lovely state.

But I digress. My reference had to do simply with introducing a pest from one place to another, not with somehow contaminating Washington with my California-ness. (BTW, I'm not blonde, not a surfer, not a celebrity-hound, not a vapid idiot, and rarely say "dude"; I do love the beach--any beach, including those in Oregon and Washington.) You can easily substitute another state and agricultural risk if you prefer. How about someone bringing kudzu from Georgia or papayas from Hawaii? Neither are allowed to be imported into Washington except under strict regulation.

In any case, I was trying to get across the point that the casual disregard of agricultural laws anywhere is unacceptable. I would no sooner have taken fruit out of the quarantine zone into Washington than I would bring fresh food off the ship if the signs said not to do so.

beachchick

kal: My point is that St. Martin has agricultural laws which may prohibit pax (and others) from bringing certain food items onto the island. ...
(emphasis added)

I think you need to really look at the St. Maarten rules. It might be easier to determine what you CANNOT bring into the island. Right now, I can't think of any food item that is resticted. Matter of fact, I have never seen any sort of agricultural inspection whatsoever. There is certainly none applicable to passengers arriving at the airport.

Do you think it's just an arbitrary requirement of the cruiseline which is not based on local rules??

Guest rfrenchbaxter

My DH is diabetic and we always travel with a back pack and we purchased a soft cooler the size of a brown lunch paper bag. The night before every excursion we always order a cold cut sandwich, a couple of apples,and choc. chip cookies and put them in sandwich bags which we brought with us. We always have a refrid. in our cabin and we pack those foodies in cooler and place them in our back pack. We have NEVER been stopped or gotten in trouble. We also take a couple of waters with us that we did not purchase from the ship! Just place your SMALL cooler in a back pack, along with a couple of small bags of ice, we sometimes bring 2 small ice packs also, and if we are going on excursions with water involved we also take our towels. We sometimes take DH's meds. in case he may need them also!

Don't let anyone on here intimidate you! You do what you feel is needed as we do! If anyone wants to stop us then by all means we will have to abide by their laws but until then we will do what is best for DH's health and we always go prepared!

Obviously beachchick does not live there, and she is only trying to push her weight around! (Which I don't know how much that may be)!:p Until she has the authority to tell people what to do in this circumstance just press the old ignore button! ;)

Aside from the fact that there are NO RESTRICTIONS as to food items being brought into St. Maarten, I'm suggesting ways for passengers to save the cost and most importantly time in finding somewhere to grab lunch. Obviously a person staying ashore during lunch will not come back to the ship to engage in the noon-time feeding frenzy. We paid for a lunch so the ship comes out ahead when a person eats out of a feed bag containing a few items rather than gorge at the buffet line.

Hmmm, now that I think of it, have you ever heard someone say at lunch "gee, I'll try some of this and some of that and lots of that gooey stuff"? Their plate(s) is overflowing at the start and when they're done it's still over half full of food that will be thrown away. Then too have you seen anyone who wants to get the price of the cruise back by eating, eating, gorging, stuffing and bloating with "free food"? I'll take my crummy few pieces of sliced meat, cheese and a banana any day. Will just have to hope I'm not subject to a body cavity search by the ship's food police stationed at the gangway!!

Archived