Wireless "hotspots" on Summit

Borrego

I am having an awful time finding out if GTS Summit offers WIRELESS hot spots.

Celebrity website does not indicate wireless and their 800 number says "no". Yet Celebrity@sea says all Millinium class ships have hot spots since March 2006.

Does anyone out there have first hand knowledge - one way or the other - if this ship has wireless? Please let me know.

Hotspot connections on any ship is awful. You have to be near the computer center on deck 6 or near the main computer lab. I tried to get connections from my cabin on Summit, but it was impossible, and my room was near the lab on deck 6. I know people who've gotten a signal from the Cova, but I didn't try that. Be aware that the wireless connection is VERY slow and therefore costs more money because download times are slower than just using the computers in the lab. BTW, all my wifi experience has been on Summit.

Hotspot connections on any ship is awful. You have to be near the computer center on deck 6 or near the main computer lab. I tried to get connections from my cabin on Summit, but it was impossible, and my room was near the lab on deck 6. I know people who've gotten a signal from the Cova, but I didn't try that. Be aware that the wireless connection is VERY slow and therefore costs more money because download times are slower than just using the computers in the lab. BTW, all my wifi experience has been on Summit.[/quot

Thanks for the info, Darcie. I know from a previous cruise on Summit that the downloads in the internet cafe are slow enough, so based on your experience I think I'll leave the laptop home.

Danny

We were able to get access anywhere towards the center of the ship. I would just go out and sit in one of the lounge chairs by the mid ship elevators on the same floor as our stateroom, and service would be fine. I heard some people near mid-ship could get access from their staterooms.

Of course fine is relative. Internet access is very slow be it through the internet cafe, lab or your laptop. I'd say speed is below that of dial up service. On our last Summit trip, 14 days to Hawaii, I never connected laptop and only used the internet cafe a couple of times.

On prior trips I used the laptop twice. One of the times outlook worked for email, the second time it didn't work and I was told it was a limitation of their system. So if email is a must make sure you know how to access your email over the web without outlook.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, midship elevators seems to be the ticket, as we noticed on Summit. We were on deck nine about 12 cabins foreward of the glass elevator, which is next to the second floor of the library, and there were always one or two passengers sitting nearby pecking away at their laptops. Can't speak for speed: we used the ship's desktops and they seemed fair.

Archived