Ft. Lauderdale/Miami Hotel

tshaw

We are sailing on the Victory in January out of Miami. We are flying into Ft. Lauderdale the night before we cruise. Any suggestions on what hotel to stay at and whether to stay in Ft. Lauderdale or Miami?

Thanks!

a week ago. We did exactly what you are going to do. We flew into Ft Lauderdale and then traveled to Miami. The cost for us to travel from the airport to the hotel in iami was $128 for 9 people plus luggage but the going rate is $16-18 per person via Tri-city coach. We stayed at the Fortune House (a very nice 2 bedroom suite) but this is basically a condo and not a "hotel" so to speak. It was very nice but I would suggest if you book in Miami, stay at the HOliday Inn as one person suggested and I say that not b/c there was a problem with Fortune House. Far from it but b/c the HOliday Inn is directly across from Bayside which is an open air shopping mall set up sort of like a festival atmosphere and at night they have live music and it sits on the water and is just nice for shopping and/or hanging out. That's if you stay in Miami. For myself, when we go again, if we fly into Ft Lauderdale, it would be better to stay there and avail yourself of a free aiport shuttle and then just pay one transport price from the hotel to the port. We had to pay another $25 the next day to be transported to the pier. Whatever you do, enjoy!!

We have stayed at Ireland's Inn the past 5 years...they are supporsed to be undergoing renovations now or in the near future..I would DEFINATELY recommend this hotel to anyone going on a cruise or planning a vcation in the FTL area. This is a family owned hotel and you can't beat the "southern" hospitality. Book the 1st floor, south building...nothing beats walking out the door of your room and onto the beach! If there's a full moon...:D

Personally, I liked the Holiday Inn at the Bayside Marketplace, if for no other reason but its proximity to the Marketplace. Good place to spend a little extra time (and cash). I understand that if your room is in the front of the hotel, one can see the cruise port, also.

We just got back....flew into FTL and stayed in the Wyndham at the airport...free shuttle 24 hours a day. Took them quite a while to pick us up (over 30 minutes and it is literally 5 mins down the street). We were the last ones standing there and watched all other hotels pick-up their guests. But it was free..so who cares? Hotel was nice..rooms were clean, kind of dated. We stayed at the Sheraton at the airport on the way back. We paid about $60 less a night there. They also have free shuttle but I'm not sure if it's 24 hr. I liked the Sheraton rooms better but they were not nearly as nice as people at Wyndham. Sheraton did allow us to get into our room post-cruise at 11:30am (check-in was 3:00pm) which we really appreciated. We used Miami/Ft. lauderdale airport shuttle to get to port, they drop you off right at the door. I can get info for you if you need it. It cost $100 for 4 one-way (included tip but we tipped additional because we had a ton of bags). There were a lot of logistics and additional costs involved with this...next time I intend to get a flight into Miami or cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale!

Happy Sailing!

Thanks for all of the help. This will be our 5th cruise, but we haven't cruised in 3 years. A couple of first time cruisers are going with us. I have been in charge of all of the planning, and I am trying to make sure they have a fabulous vacation!

Archived