Pearl - Teen Girl on Dec 18 cruise

Bridge4033

Hi!

This is my first post on CC. I have been reading a lot on here and have some questions about NCL. I have only traveled on Carnival:

Celebration, Imagination and Fantasy. My husband and daughter have only been on the Celebration.

We will be on the Pearl's Dec 18 trip and my daughter would like to meet some other teens on the trip. Does anyone have an idea how many there will be and how she can meet them?

Also, we will be in a mini-suite, what should we expect in concierge service (if any) and from NCL in general. Can't wait to be on a new ship. The ones we have been on were quite old.

Thanks for all your help.

Hi!

This is my first post on CC. I have been reading a lot on here and have some questions about NCL. I have only traveled on Carnival:

Celebration, Imagination and Fantasy. My husband and daughter have only been on the Celebration.

We will be on the Pearl's Dec 18 trip and my daughter would like to meet some other teens on the trip. Does anyone have an idea how many there will be and how she can meet them?

Also, we will be in a mini-suite, what should we expect in concierge service (if any) and from NCL in general. Can't wait to be on a new ship. The ones we have been on were quite old.

Thanks for all your help.

Welcome to the Cruise Critic forum boards.

Here is a link to the roll call that has been started for your cruise. Jump in and introduce yourself, you may find other posters there with teens cruising with you. I just checked and there are teens, 13, 17, and 18 who will be on the ship with you...check out the roll call.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=426712

The best place for your teen to start meeting other teens on the ship is the Teen group orientation which is normally held the first night on the ship. Have your teen attend the meeting and get the list of activites for the cruise, they can pick and choose which they want to attend and get a feel for the other teens on the ship.

As for concierge in a mini suite I would suggest you making contact with them, since there are so many mini-suites it's probably the only way you will hear from the concierge. There should be a letter of introduction in your cabin with the phone number for the concierge. The concierge can help you with dinner reservations....but that's about it.

The best place for your teen to start meeting other teens on the ship is the Teen group orientation which is normally held the first night on the ship. Have your teen attend the meeting and get the list of activites for the cruise, they can pick and choose which they want to attend and get a feel for the other teens on the ship.

Sometimes the teens resist, and think the activities are childish or whatever. MAKE her attend that first night. She may end up doing little or no of the teen activities, but at least she'll meet people.

Sit down with you teen and ask them to make the DECISION:

A) Make a decision to meet other teens and have a good time

or

B) Make a decision to NOT meet others and not have a good time.

If the answer is A - attend the meetings/session with others. Make it a point to do the difficult -introduce yourself. Try out activities that might seem lame. You never know.

If B is the answer. Stay in the cabin. Do not say hello to others. Avoid any organized meetings.

Her/his choice.

Hope she has a good time!

Just want to put in another 2 cents: The time you are cruising is just a bit early for most school holiday breaks to begin. Therefore it might not be the optimal time to find a lot of teens on the ship . The wk. between Xmas and New Years would be another matter. Kids are often on their holiday breaks then. Having said that, however, if there are only a handful, she will still have fun if she manages to connect w/them. The Pearl sounds like a great ship for kids and young people w/more things to do than some of NCL's other ships.

We went on our first NCL cruise this past October. We also found the concierge to be a wealth of knowledge about our port calls...and what she didn't know, she found out for us or directed us to the person who could!

I also agree with the poster above (first, a decision must be made - are you in or out?), that this goes for adults too (I'm just adding in another two cents - alot of us do that here!). A decision needs to be made (sort of like DEAL OR NO DEAL?) as to whether or not you're going to join in. That's hard for some folks, to take that first step.

The best advice is to join the roll call. When I came here as a total NEWBIE that was the advice I received. At first I felt a little strange but it was the one of the best pieces of advice I ever received here. Before you cruise you'll have met other passengers - perhaps some with teens as well.

We're on the Pearl next September...I have a few more days and then my count will be under 300 days!!! (Can you tell I'm a bit anxious?)

Have a wonderful cruise...and welcome to the board!

Ciao,

W A W W

The Concierge, especially on this short trip, will not have much time at all. As the other one said...give her a call, but don't be mad, if you do not hear back in a time manner. It is still a part of the Chritening cruise, since a lot of people (media, investors, super VIP) will stay on from the 2 night to the 4 night cruise...so she has all her hands full! Basically she treats 1st the Garden Villas, then Owner's Suites and Courtyard Suites then the Penthouses...last Mini Suites!

A Concierge can make live the easiest thing on the ship...not just give you all information you may need or reservations for restaurant and spa! She or he will make sure you will be treated as a VIP (not Mini Suites) with VIP Tender (go when you please) and you will never stand in any line!

Thanks guys.

I've joined the roll call for the Pearl trip and I am also going on the Radiance Jan 6, sans husband and daughter and signed that roll call also.

I won't expect much from the concierge, just wanted to know how they work on a ship (I understand mini-suite is just a slightly larger cabin than balcony).

I definitely would not get mad, I'll be on vacation with my family on a brand new ship!!! What could be bad about that. And with $100 on-board credit too!

I only have Carnival to compare to so I guess I'll see some differences. What, I'm not sure.

Love this board.

Archived