Unlimited and bag laundry update

scopewest

On the Noordam last week I had the unlimited laundry service. It cost $70, which I felt was reasonable considering the regular prices on the list. They also had a bag of laundry, but contrary to some comments I read, this was available every day after about the third? day of the cruise, not just once or twice. Or maybe my steward thought I'd like to read all about it. At any rate, I found the "bag of laundry" sheet on my bed every night.

FYI I have some T-shirts with button down collars that I marked down as T-shirts, and they came back changed to the blouse category. I also brought a pair of cross-stitch scissors which came in handy to cut off some of the laundry tags they used to mark my clothes.

I'm just wondering why you had to cut off the laundry tags? Were they sewn in? On the Prinsendam and Rotterdam they were ironed on, so we simply peeled them off. Of course, we had to find them first.:rolleyes:

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Although we purchase the unlimited laundry packages, laundry by the bag has also been available on all our HAL cruises in the last 2 or 3 or more years. The only difference has been that the per bag deal usually isn't available the last couple of days. Unlimited is supposed to be available throughout, but we don't send the last 1 or 2 full days in the cruise as we want to make sure all comes back.

The reason your collared tees were marked as blouses was probably for their version of accuracy. They do check laundry to be returned to see that all is there. We have always found the tags easy to remove. One of us has some finger dexterity problems, but has no problems removing the laundry tags.

We have always found the tags easy to remove. One of us has some finger dexterity problems, but has no problems removing the laundry tags.
On some of our cruises they have looped the tags over a sewn in tag or through a button hole and sealed the ends together. some have been pretty difficult to separate and remove. I can see where the scissors could help avoid broken fingernails.

When we were on the Veendam for the 34 day cruise in September/October we had the choice of two options.

The unlimited laundry was $210 for the entire cruise. The bag of laundry was $12 a bag and started the very first day of the cruise and went right up until the Thursday before we disembarked on the Saturday. In fact the bag of laundry was returned quicker than the unlimited laundry which really didn't make sense.

We decided on the bag of laundry and put one out every third or fourth day. We spent overall around $100 instead of the $210 for the unlimited which we felt was a good saving seeing we could stuff everything we needed to send out in one bag.

Jennie

I have a question about the laundry - I read somewhere on this board that they only wash with hot water, and a lot of my clothes are cold wash only. I'm afraid of shrinkage or colors running. What has been any of your experiences with hot/cold laundry types on the ship?

Mary

Seems the Noordam has again changed the laundry package offerings once again!! The package wasn't available on our Transatlantic cruise. During a Q&A the Hotel manager had said they did away with the unlimited package due to volume.

Nice to see that they have gone back to offering an unlimited package!!:D

I have a question about the laundry - I read somewhere on this board that they only wash with hot water, and a lot of my clothes are cold wash only. I'm afraid of shrinkage or colors running. What has been any of your experiences with hot/cold laundry types on the ship?

Mary

If you are worried about shrinkage, I would definitely not send your clothes to the laundry as they are washed in hot water. You can always wash them in the bath and hang them in the bathroom to dry. We found that our "smalls" dried very quickly in our bathroom.

I also washed a couple of silk shirts out and hang them in the bathroom.

Jennie

I should have been clearer. I had to cut off a couple of tags that were wrapped around a bra strap so tightly that I couldn't pull them apart easily with my fingers so I just reached for the scissors. I was able to remove the rest of them with my fingers.

Forgot to mention the bag of laundry was $25.

We only paid $12 for the laundry bag on the Maasdam this last spring. I was getting dressed for work this morning and our sunny California has turned a wee bit cold and I took out one of my velour long sleeved tops and in the back I found the laundry tag and just smiled:D

Now I can hardly wait for our Sea of Cortez in February.

Kathy

I have even found laundry tags on things after I got home - yes, I smiled too. Can't wait to have to pull those pesky things off again!

Has the bag of laundry really gone up to $25? It was $12 when we last cruised in Sept.

I did have a pair of slacks with a pulled thread after being laundered so I stopped sending those - also wouldn't send anything fragile or shrinkable. I was surprised that they ironed the things from the laundry bag as I didn't expect that.

We just got off 25 days on the Zaandam. We paid $12 per bag and had the choice of starch/no starch and hanging/folded. I opted for hanging as it was easier to put away. But darn, I should have had the last bag folded for packing ease. Oh well, maybe I'll remember for the next cruise. One thing I did notice when we were in our suite. The blue laundry bags are actually bigger than the ones down below.

We were only given the Blue Laundry bags and yes, they did hold a huge amount. I think one time I put in a couple of pairs of slacks, 4 or 5 shirts, t shirts, shorts etc. We did not have the choice of hanging or being folded. They usually came back hanging on hangers with pajamas pants and hankies folded in a brown paper bag. It was different to last year when they came back in a lovely wicker basket with tissue paper. Just a sign of the times I expect!

Perhaps on longer cruises the cost is a lot less as we only paid $12 a bag but we were on the ship for 34 days. They may increase the price for the 7-14 day cruises.

Jennie

The general price is still $12 per bag but on some ships when the volume is expected to be high the price is raised to actually discourage use of that service simply not to overload the laundrymen's work load. When the WESTERDAM was in her first season in Europe the price was $30 per bag and the capacity of the laundry couldn't handle the volume. THAT'S why the price varies, not greed.

Cheers from a foggy East Coast US city

I'm not sure if there's a bag price for pressing as I didn't bother to read the paper that you used to sign up for it as I had unlimited laundry, but on the laundry sheet I used there was a "press only" option and the per piece prices ran about $1 to $4 less per item, depending on the item.

I must say it was quite nice to just write "unlimited laundry" across the bottom of the bill and ignore the prices per piece.

If everything is washed in hot water, Im afraid a lot of my clothes would be ruined (shrunk). How did your items come out? T-shirts would not do well in hot water. Also, are the items pressed for the $70 (is that per person, or per room?), or did you have to go to the laundrymat and iron them yourself? Thanks?

There are no laundry facilities on the Vista ships. My clothes came back folded and pressed. I didn't notice that anything shrunk. My T-shirts were folded, and what they called blouses (T-shirts with collars/buttons) came back on a hanger. I never specified for my shirts to be returned folded or on a hanger (which you could) so they did what they thought best. I was very satisfied with the service and wouldn't hesistate to do it again.

$70 was PER CABIN. I put out the bag every single morning until two days before the end as the return was 48 hours. Our cruise got back on Sat. so my last load was Wed., and they actually returned that one on Thursday. I also think the room steward did not give me a bag on Thursday, but I don't recall right now because I hadn't planned on sending anything out that day.

Everything comes back beautifully pressed, better than I can do myself.

There is a big problem with shrinkage though. Some T. shirts will either shrink or lose a lot of their colour. Others are fine. The better the quality, the less they tend to change.

I have found that that some cotton capris or long pants seem a lot tighter around the waist when they are returned. (It is not the eating as they are still tight weeks after we return home!).

I would be very careful on what you put out. Chinos come back as good as new and men's shirts are always terrific. I have had a few cotton shirts that are returned snugger than when they went out. You do have to be selective.

Jennie

Archived