Most romantic cruise

[color=darkorchid]Congrats on your milestone!!![/color]
[color=darkorchid][/color]
[color=darkorchid]Each time we take a cruise, I think it is the most romantic one yet. It probably goes back to my philosophy that [b]a cruise is what you make of it[/b].[/color]
[color=darkorchid]However, I would venture to say that our most romantic cruise has been on Holland America's Maasdam. It is a smaller ship (carries 1300 passengers) and has one of the best passenger-space ratios in the industry (fewer passengers, more space - you can read about those in Frommer's books). [/color]
[color=darkorchid]Here are some things that made that cruise 'extra romantic' for us:[/color]
[color=darkorchid]- could bring your own wine aboard (legally) so if you have that special bottle or two...[/color]
[color=darkorchid]- string quartet playing at dinner[/color]
[color=darkorchid]- afternoon tea with hors d'vours / desserts (and string quartet)[/color]
[color=darkorchid]- relaxing Crow's Nest up top with full array of desserts and hors d'vours before heading to dinner [/color]
[color=darkorchid]- very quiet sky deck up top (although a little windy) but a great place to take a glass of wine after dark for the two of you[/color]
[color=darkorchid]- Holland America is not really known for attracting families with small children, so it was mostly adults (although the new Zuiderdam ship class - Vista class?? - is larger with 1800 passengers and attracts families and has more of a "Carnival" decor)[/color]
[color=darkorchid]- lots of public spaces around the ship to relax comfortably[/color]
[color=darkorchid]- java cafe for sharing a cup of hot chocolate if it is chilly outside[/color]
[color=darkorchid]- tons of artwork onboard (over $2 million) and a cozy piano bar[/color]
[color=darkorchid]- just an overall very classy ship for a great value[/color]
[color=darkorchid]- Holland America has an incredible private island (Half Moon Cay) in the Bahamas. I have read many pluses about this island from other people who have cruised various lines (we've only cruised Norwegian, Celebrity, and Holland America). At Half Moon Cay, we like to walk to the far end of the beach near the cabanas and hang out there. Cabanas are for rental by Suite guests (we can't afford suites) and cost about $229 for the day - but always are full. We stay in the charis/hammocks just before the cabanas and still use the beach - very few guests down that far.[/color]
[color=darkorchid]And then there are the things you can PAY for on board... like the spa. However, we were not impressed with the spa's prices on Maasdam, and it was a very small spa. On the positive side, the steam room and huge shower were available for free (separate for men/women). [/color]
[color=darkorchid]Romantic [b]ports[/b] for us...[/color]
[color=darkorchid]- a beach with fewer people (we sometimes go to the non-touristy beaches)[/color]
[color=darkorchid]- a catamaran or sailboat sail that only accepts a small number of guests[/color]
[color=darkorchid]- When in port at St Thomas, we like to venture to St John. There are many beaches along the north shore, some of which you must walk 15 minutes to (so very few people). Our favorite beaches have been on Eastern/Southern itineraries.[/color]
[color=darkorchid]So based on the cruises we have taken, I'd suggest Holland America's smaller ships (I think the Maasdam has three 'sister' ships), and take an eastern Caribbean cruise. :)[/color][color=plum] [/color]
[color=plum][/color]
[color=plum]There are pics on the webpage in my profile of each cruise we have taken.[/color]

Archived