Two ships in one day at GSC

Smellytoes

I just recieved a phone call from my personal cruise consultant asking me if I recieved my requested brochure. She proceeded to ask me if I had any questions and I told her I was already booked on the Dawn for April 12. She asked me if I had any questions regarding that cruise and I said yes, that on April 14th we are scheduled to be at GSC along with the Jewel. She put me on hold to look into it. When she got back on the phone she told me that, yes both the Dawn and the Jewel are scheduled to be at the private island that day at overlapping times. Her supervisor told her that because we are anchoring instead of docking that BOTH ships will call on GSC on that day. She tried to assure me that the island can handle both ships. I told her "no way can that tiny, but really fun, island can handle both ships" She said that that's what is being said to her but we'll see, anything can happen. Has anyone faced a similar situation in the past and how was it handled????

I just recieved a phone call from my personal cruise consultant asking me if I recieved my requested brochure. She proceeded to ask me if I had any questions and I told her I was already booked on the Dawn for April 12. She asked me if I had any questions regarding that cruise and I said yes, that on April 14th we are scheduled to be at GSC along with the Jewel. She put me on hold to look into it. When she got back on the phone she told me that, yes both the Dawn and the Jewel are scheduled to be at the private island that day at overlapping times. Her supervisor told her that because we are anchoring instead of docking that BOTH ships will call on GSC on that day. She tried to assure me that the island can handle both ships. I told her "no way can that tiny, but really fun, island can handle both ships" She said that that's what is being said to her but we'll see, anything can happen. Has anyone faced a similar situation in the past and how was it handled????

first of all---no one docks at GSC it is a tender port-that is often times missed because of high seas. I really cannot imagine 2 ships there at the samr time though-

We booked the Jewel in April 2007 and I saw yesterday, that we´re scheduled at the same day, April 14th, with the Dawn on GSC....:eek: I´m a little bit angry about that. I can´t believe that it will be possible to handle 4500 guests. And I can´t imagine why they scheduled two big ships on the same day with overlapping times.

We booked the Jewel in April 2007 and I saw yesterday, that we´re scheduled at the same day, April 14th, with the Dawn on GSC....:eek: I´m a little bit angry about that. I can´t believe that it will be possible to handle 4500 guests. And I can´t imagine why they scheduled two big ships on the same day with overlapping times.

I don't think they meant to, its just a coincidene that the ships regular itinararies have them both at the private island that day. It's a one time thing. I seriously doubt that both ships will end up there that day. I don't know if you've ever been there but there wouldn't even be standing room if both ships came.lol My guess is that you'll get the private island and we'll wind up some place else or with another sea day. You are supposed to get there before us so I think you'll get the island. If not you can sit on my lap.lol

It's a situation (up to for ships at once) that's happen before. Usually, one ship actually goes to GSC, (pot luck guess on which one) while others go to other ports. Usually that someplace else is Nassau. Also, you will not know until you get aboard, as the decision on which ship goes to GSC is made very late.

I don't think they meant to, its just a coincidene that the ships regular itinararies have them both at the private island that day. It's a one time thing. I seriously doubt that both ships will end up there that day. I don't know if you've ever been there but there wouldn't even be standing room if both ships came.lol My guess is that you'll get the private island and we'll wind up some place else or with another sea day. You are supposed to get there before us so I think you'll get the island. If not you can sit on my lap.lol

*lol* I think my husband would be verry happy if I´ll sit on your lap.

It´s our first cruise so we were never been there. But at the last weekend I saw some pictures with two ships at GSC. I googled for some pictures of GSC.

It's a situation (up to for ships at once) that's happen before. Usually, one ship actually goes to GSC, (pot luck guess on which one) while others go to other ports. Usually that someplace else is Nassau. Also, you will not know until you get aboard, as the decision on which ship goes to GSC is made very late.

I wouldn't mind going to Nassau. I've never been. The one time we were supposed to go there we were chased out by hurricane Frances. Didn't get to the private island that time either.

I agree with others and would be surprised if there isn't a schedule change for one ship....but, if both ships are at the island at the same time & I couldn't be one of the first off of my ship, I wouldn't bother to get off at all.

And if I got off first, I'd plan on making it a short stay.

jmo

-Monte

On one of our cruises, the Dawn (us), the Jewel & the Majesty were scheduled to be at GSC at the same time. We went to Nassau, the Jewel went to GSC & The Majesty to The Bahamas. The schedule was never changed in print.

Don't worry, they can't have 4500 people on GSC at the same time with only the 3 Norway tenders. The ships tenders can't dock on the island, there's no pier to let passengers off.

Don't worry, it's a long way until April. Things can change.

Happy Sailing,

Monty

We were just at Great Stirrup Cay on the 11/12 Dawn sailing and was the only ship in. The island is beautifull with crystal clear water and nice sandy beach, snorkeling was fabulous if you are a beginner. Cross your fingers that you draw the lucky straw that gets to stop their. It is very small with one ship people that came over late morning was still able to find chairs but the pickings were slim to none by noon. I would rather have this nice beach as a stop over Freeport any time.

We were just at Great Stirrup Cay on the 11/12 Dawn sailing and was the only ship in. The island is beautifull with crystal clear water and nice sandy beach, snorkeling was fabulous if you are a beginner. Cross your fingers that you draw the lucky straw that gets to stop their. It is very small with one ship people that came over late morning was still able to find chairs but the pickings were slim to none by noon. I would rather have this nice beach as a stop over Freeport any time.

We did get to GSC last year and it was probably the best day of the cruise. We had a blast. I hope we do get there this year too.

One time we were supposed to go to Nassau and GSC we wound up in Freeport instead. It was not fun. We had about one hour to get off and get back on the ship and everything in Freeport was boarded up. The stores were all closed and we were told not to go to the beach. It was too dangerous. So even though I'd rather go to the private island I'd still be happy in Nassau or even Freeport (so I can go to the beach)

On one of our cruises, the Dawn (us), the Jewel & the Majesty were scheduled to be at GSC at the same time. We went to Nassau, the Jewel went to GSC & The Majesty to The Bahamas. The schedule was never changed in print.

Don't worry, they can't have 4500 people on GSC at the same time with only the 3 Norway tenders. The ships tenders can't dock on the island, there's no pier to let passengers off.

Don't worry, it's a long way until April. Things can change.

Happy Sailing,

Monty

I'm not worried (and don't remind me it's a long way until April, I cant wait.lol) I just would like to know ahead of time so we can decide what we're going to do. It's tough trying to please 4 kids, three of them teenagers. So if we knew ahead of time that we were going to Nassau we could book a room at the Comfort Suites and spend the day at Atlantis. But I doubt we'd be able to pull that off if we found out on the ship.

We were on Norwegian Jewel the week of 12/12 and 12/19 and stopped at GSC on the last day before returning to Miami. The seas were a little rough, but they use HUGE tenders that were from the Norway and they were able to navigate the rough waters easily. Royal Caribbeans Explorer ot the Seas was also anchored outside GSC, but apparently their tenders were not capable of navigating the rough waters, and after about an hour, they just sailed away.

The weather wasn't that great that day, but plenty of people took the tenders ashore. We stayed on the ship and had a nice, quiet day by the pool. ;)

Just to clarify (if anyone should wonder), the Royal Caribbean ships use Coco Cay as their private island. It's next to Great Stirrup Cay, so no, they weren't looking to tender to GSC. Each time we've been to GSC, there has also been a RCCL ship anchored nearby.

-Monte

How funny! My family and I will be on that Jewel sailing and my Dad and Uncle will be on the Dawn sailing. I would love to meet up with them at GSC! (although I realize it's not big enough for more than one ship).

How funny! My family and I will be on that Jewel sailing and my Dad and Uncle will be on the Dawn sailing. I would love to meet up with them at GSC! (although I realize it's not big enough for more than one ship).

That is too funny because initially that's how I found out both ships were scheduled for GSC on the same day. My family and I are on the Dawn and my brother and his wife were considering the Jewel. As we were discussing our cruises we made this connection. But now my brother and his wife can't go anywhere because she just found out she's pregnant.lol

But anyway, tell your dad and uncle to join our roll call. There's not too many people and the more the merrier.

Archived