My Fantasy review, finally!

HarleyGirl

It's a little long, as this was my first cruise and, well, let's face it, I'm into details. Sorry! I will start by saying we loved it. I have no idea how so many crew members can work together so efficiently and be so friendly at the same time! We sailed out of New Orleans on November 13. I'd read on the boards that New Orleans was a great port to sail out of and they were right. We only live about an hour away so of course we drove down, met some cruisecritic buddies for breakfast and then went to the ship. We never had to sit down or wait while in line. We walked right through, paperwork was a breeze and we were on by 11:30 at the very latest. No, wait, I think I was sitting on the lido deck with a rum punch in my hand by that time as a matter of fact!

We found the ship to be beautiful and very clean. Everywhere you looked people were working on it all the time. And every Carnival employee we passed smiled and said hello. We had the late seating for dinner and loved our tablemates (we had a four-top table). We ate in the dining room all but one night (say hello to Andre "from Russia with love") and the food was wonderful. I won't go into every meal here but a couple things we tried were the sweet and sour shrimp, my personal fave, escargot, lobster and beef wellington. They were all excellent. Oh I had strawberry bisque also--yum!

As far as ports go, we LOVED LOVED LOVED Costa Maya. We went through the forbidden hole in the fence to Chac-Chi and it was so nice there. The captain of the ship and our waiter, Andre, were both there too. We had the whole fried fish (it was yellow-tail snapper they told me). It was wonderful. My husband and I tried snorkeling but the water was really rough so it was hard but we still had a blast there. Then we took a taxi to Mahahual and had drinks at the Cat's Meow and walked through town a little before going back to the port area and stopping at the pool complex for a few minutes. I think we were just about the last ones to get on the ship.

The next day in Cozumel the weather was horrible and I was ill. Bad day there. Our excursions were canceled so we went in a jeep that another CC couple rented and drove around for about an hour, doing a little shopping and look around but then I had to go back to the ship sick.

I initially said I probably would not do another cruise simply because I like to spend more time on the islands and just like that day in Cozumel when you're on a ship and it's raining that day you just miss out. I have decided to go on another one, though, in January as a surprise Christmas gift to my hubby, who I think might have had more fun than I did! You can't beat the value of the cruise (as long as you dont drink too much hehe--at 4.50 per beer it really adds up fast) and it was a great time, though I was broken-hearted about Cozumel. Carnival was WONDERFUL and I love them.

This was also Maraschal's (sp?) last cruise before retirement. It's a shame. I would have loved to see him again as he's a hoot!

I dont think I would change anything about the ship, except maybe the beer prices, but hey, they gotta make up for those great prices on bookings right? hehe It was a great trip and hopefully the next one will be as well.

I will answer any questions if anyone has any--oh we were in Riviera Room 206, which is an ocean view.

Thanks for the great review. I am sorry you missed Cozumel. That is our favorite port, and one reason we booked the Fantasy.

The ship sounds great. We can't wait to go. Our group of 13 has four rooms on the Upper deck.

Were there any shows, games, activities that you especially liked?

Have fun on your next cruise. You may become addicted. We did. :D

Thanks for the info!!! Glad you had a great time!

We are going in January. I can not wait to go back to the Cat's meow, we were there back in May.

Just keep in mind that beer and drink prices at most resorts or vacation areas are just as much if not more than Carnival. But the fact that you are not forking over cash, does make it easier to run up that bill...LOL :p

Hey guys, to the OP who wanted Cat's lounge pics--yes I did get a few--please email me at jenisue74@yahoo.com with something about this in the title and I will send them today (dont know how to post them there, sorry).

About the basketball court. Yes, they did and a few times we saw a couple guys playing. It was on the verandah deck at the back.

Beer prices the same at a resort? Well I've never been to any resorts but that's probably right--they are just 2.50 at the local bar so that's all we had to refer to there! ;)

Harleygirl- I really like the sound of Fantasy,specially since I wouldn't have to fly to get to the ship,but am nervous of driving into New Orleans. Is it easy to find the cruise terminal? Hectic traffic? We'd be coming from Indiana- the rest of the trip wouldn't bother me,just the New Orleans area.:)

I know there are people here much more knowledgeable about that area as I just flat out refuse to drive in N.O.! Hey, Jetskier, where are ya? He has been to the port several times I think and can really help there. New Orleans traffic isn't as bad as it was pre-hurricane but at certain times of the day is just like any other city. I believe it's pretty easy to get down to the port area, but finding the terminal is a little screwy, even to my husband, who is very familiar with the area. I wouldn't let it keep me from going though. It's a wonderful port to leave from and there are guards outside the terminal that will direct you where to go if you're lost. You shouldn't have any trouble as far as the traffic or getting through the city. Don't cut it close. Just give yourself plenty of time in case of an accident on the interstate or something, but that's a given anywhere, not just N.O. It doesn't get confusing until you're about a mile from the terminal but when you're that close you just do lots of U-turns like we did and ask someone! :D Have fun! You will enjoy it! Take a couple days at one end of the cruise to enjoy the French Quarter.

Pacerzfan-Thanks- I am in Southern Indiana but I drive up to Indy without any problem, just apprehensive about the NOLA area. If I could find a hotel that was off the interstate on the way into town that would let me park I could come a day early and wouldn't have to worry about in town driving. I'd just taxi to the pier. Where did you stay?

Driving to the port of Nola from indiana isn't bad at all we went pre-hurricane and had no problems we even took two vehicles and never really got lost from each other. We are gonna try it again in 45 days!!! WHOA!!! i am so excited. It is a pretty drive to Nola as well we always leave 2 days ahead so we can take our time and see the scenery!!!:p

Your cabin is situated to the elevators and stairs exactly like ours will be except we're mid-ship. How was the noise level? Any vibration problems with being that low? Could you see out of the window of your cabin or was it misty most of the time? Did you tender in to any of the ports? Where do you exit the ship to go ashore at the ports? Also, was there only 1 formal night for dining? Want to keep the packing to a minimum. Thanks for your review too.

Hi! We had NO noise whatsoever! No vibrations. The view from the window was excellent all the time. At first I was bummed out because we didn't get higher than the Riviera but I'm glad we didn't because of the motion sickness factor. I'd heard about thin walls in the rooms and maybe it was just we had really quiet neighbors but we didnt hear a peep all week. We loved our location. Now, as far as getting off the ship in ports I was kinda confused during all that--stayed lost half the time--too many margaritas maybe? I'm sorry I cant really answer it but i'm sure someone can. We did not tender in Costa Maya OR Cozumel. Docked in both.

I was glad to receive your response. I picked the Riviera Deck because of the motion sickness factor, so I'm glad you found your cabin to be a great location. I am excited to go on this cruise as it has been awhile since we went on our last one. I've had several booked but they did not materialize. I am looking forward to this one and to visit NOLA for the first time. Thank again HarleyGirl. Happy future cruising.:)

You are most welcome! I was thinking about it and I am pretty sure we exited for ports from the Empress deck sort of near the front/middle, if that helps. I'm telling you, my head was in the clouds all week! Which sailing did you book? We are going back in January on a four-night trip. Also I think you'd asked about formal night and I forgot to answer that one (someone asked anyway). On the five-night trip it was the second night, which is a sea day of course. Only one formal night on a five-night trip. And as you read on here, you see a very big variety of clothes on that night. I really don't care what anyone else is wearing. If they wanted to (and were allowed) wear cut-off jean shorts in the dining room, it would not affect my dinner one way or the other. I was one of the most formally dressed on the ship in a fully sequined floor-length gown. I got several compliments from crew members on my dress. I only saw two other sequined gowns like that, though there were probably a few I didnt see. I saw anything from summery fairly casual outfits to sequins. I didnt see any men in tuxedos but there might've been a few--just didn't see them. If you want pics or have other questions you can always email me at jenisue74@yahoo.com.

We found the ship to be beautiful and very clean. Everywhere you looked people were working on it all the time. And every Carnival employee we passed smiled and said hello. We had the late seating for dinner and loved our tablemates (we had a four-top table).

Oh I had strawberry bisque also--yum!

This was also Maraschal's (sp?) last cruise before retirement. It's a shame. I would have loved to see him again as he's a hoot!

Thanks for your review.

We were on the Fantasy last April when it was sailing out of Port

Canaveral. The ship is beautiful and staff always friendly.

Ditto on the bisque.

We found Maraschal to be a better comedian than the one hired for the cruise!

Archived