Looking for comparison...Star Princess vs. RCCL Explorer

newcruzr

Hi all,

This will be my family's second cruise. Our first was last Spring Break on RCCL Explorer of the Seas. We've booked the Star Princess for Spring Break 2007 because the rates were much better than RCCL. Can anyone compare the 2 ships for me? We thoroughly enjoyed the RCCL Explorer but aren't adverse to trying something new. I guess what I'm hoping is that someone will say I did a smart thing and that the ship is terrific!

Thanks,

Karen

You did a smart thing and the ship is terrific :)

Seriously, I reccommend you try both lines a couple of times and make up your own mind. I prefer Princess, but I plan to travel on both lines in the future.

I have done both....

As long as you don't need ice skating and a rock climbing wall - the Star Princess is fine.

I find the food better on Princess and the pools are fresh water. I also find Princess more relaxing. Sometimes RCCL reminds me of being at a shopping mall. The Star Princess won't give you the "WOW" feeling when you first walk onto the ship but you will find that it has a simple, classy feel rather than a busy, loud feel. Princess uses a lot of soft colors and doesn't use as much bright, bold colors in decorating.

Karen, Hope your cruise goes better than the Star Thanksgiving cruise. The ship has a bad sewer smell that comes and goes. The tendering on our cruise was horrible. I hope the problems are corrected ASAP. We had some bad weather on our week but that did not cause the smell or the good weather tendering delays.

Karen, Hope your cruise goes better than the Star Thanksgiving cruise. The ship has a bad sewer smell that comes and goes. The tendering on our cruise was horrible. I hope the problems are corrected ASAP. We had some bad weather on our week but that did not cause the smell or the good weather tendering delays.

I have to agree with the first responder to your question. We have been on the Explorer and the Diamond (sister ship to the Star). With the kids along, I would have to give the edge to the Explorer. So much more for the kids to do. I think our kids would have been quite bored on Princess. The ships are beautiful, the food great and DH and I had a great time and are on the CB in Jan. However, there is simply way more for the kids on RCCL. I know there will be those that will disagree with me and to each their own. We thoroughly enjoyed the rock climbing, ice skating, putt-putt (which just wasn't the same on Princess), inline skating, ice shows, etc. My daughter and I got the biggest kick out of sitting on the promenade before dinner and critiquing (sp?) the choice of dress on formal night. Anyway, I just think where the kids are involved, the Explorer is a better choice. JMO:rolleyes:

Archived