ADVICE: Long layover in Miami

zorzo51

On December 15, our ship is docking at the Port of Miami at around 7 a.m.

Our flight from Miami International doesn't leave until 3:30, so we have about six hours to kill between the time we disembark to the time we have to be at the airport.

What can we do that's both fun and cost-efficient? My group consists of 5 adults and one toddler -- a pretty large group. I've investigated renting a mini-van, but to pick it up at place near the port and drop it off at the airport is so expensive.

Anyone have any recommendations in Miami?

zorzo51

Just because it's docking at 7 am - don't expect to get off until around 9am and you have to be at the airport early. So your time is getting shorter.

If it were me - I would take the ship tour to see some of Miami and get dropped off at the airport, be sure and bring a snack for the toddler. That way you are not fooling with rental pickup & drop off and the luggage.

It will be the least stress - Have fun, MaryAnn

Dear Zorzo: When we stayed in Miami before going to our cruise we were able to book a tour with our Hotel and it was a van with a trailer for luggage behind it. We had a wonderful tour and time for lunch before going to the ship. I booked this through the Sofietel Hotel. I do not know the name of the tour company but I was told that this kind of tour was readily available in Miami. I am sure you could call the Sofietel or any Hotel and book this and have them drop you off at the airport after the tour. I hope this helps you. Happy Sailing, Joy

We had a 2:40 flight out of MIA, ship docked at 7am, by the time our color was called it was 10:30, by the time we got our luggage, went thru customs and found a taxi and got to the airport is was 12:30

Then there was a HUGH check in line, wondered the airport for about an hour, then it was just about time to board.

You may not have as much time as you think, once you factor in all the "hurry up and wait" times.

You will not get off at 7 in the morning. You could take a ship's tour that takes you around the area or Airboat tour. They end up at the airport. Check it out on line at Royal Caribbean site. We did this as our plane was not leaving until 6:30.

Archived