Southampton & Isle of Wight

BeardedGuy

We are on the Westbound Crossing this summer (July 28) and plan on arriving a few days early - do a night in London and then one in Southampton before embarking. We've been to London a great many times, so are comfortable about that, but the last time we were on Cunard (QE2) we arrived at Southampton just before embarkation time so really saw nothing of the town. Our other cruise out of Britain was on Celebrity and left from Dover. We really enjoyed getting there a day early, poking around, having a leisurely breakfast and walk before going to the docks and hope to do the same this year in Southampton. Any recomendations on a B&B or reasonably priced (spell that C-H-E-A-P) hotel in Southampton? Also, what is there to do there? Is it worthwhile taking a ferry to the Isle of Wight? Costs? Sights?

I like the Isle of Wight, although it isn't perhaps an essential part of a visit to England.

If you're a railway sort of a chap they have one of the best preserved railways in the country, with a lot of restored victorian stock. A Terrier that is well over 100 years is delightful.

Can be reached on the railway from the pier in Ryde, with an easy transfer to the steam railway.

Even if you aren't a railway chap, it is still a lovely run.

What about Portsmouth? See the Victory?

Bearded Guy,

My wife and I were in Southhampton a couple of years ago and were disipointed that the trip to Stonehenge had been canceled so we decided to take the ferry to visit Queen Victoria's private home on the Isle of Wight where she spent a lot of time and died there. There is a package ticket that includes ferry, bus to Osborne House and admission to the house. There is a self guided tour that is very interesting. We enjoyed the visit very much.

Hi BeardedGuy

In Southampton itself there is the small but very interesting maritime museum (near the docks) that is located in a building dating from the 1400's (I think). Essential to visit if staying in the town and not going elsewhere for the day. There is also a large Titanic memorial at the north end of the shopping area.

Southampton town centre was heavily bombed during the war and is not attractive and has little historic interest except for a small area near the entrance to the dock gates.

If you wish to make the most of your stay in the area.. a few suggestions.

1. Get on the train and take the short journey to Portsmouth. Get off at the last staion, Portsmouth Harbour. A few feet away to one side you will find Portsmouth Naval Base, home of the Royal Navy. Here there is HMS Victory, HMS Warrior and the Mary Rose. Plus several naval museums. A few feet to the other side is a vast shopping centre with an observation tower above it, all on the water's edge. Beyond that is historic Portsmouth. It's all better than I make it sound, google it!

2. Get on a train and visit either Winchester or Salisbury. Both cities are superb and lovely to walk around with stunning cathedrals and historic centres.

3. Get away from it all and visit the New Forest area. Again, google it, many lovely places to visit there and relax completely.

4. Get on a ferry and visit the Isle of Wight. The ferry goes to Cowes, a small but interesting town. From here you can get a taxi or bus to Osbourne House, Queen Victoria's retreat away from the crowds.

As for hotels, well it depends by what you mean by c h e a p ! A quick search will bring up the usual names and chains.

If I can be of futher help or for more details (esp Portsmouth) you can message me pepper @ royal . navy. org . uk

Let us know what you end up doing and how you enjoyed your crossing, I loved mine!

I second Pepper's advice. Southampton is not the most attractive place in England, but Salisbury and Winchester are both beautiful (as Pepper says, both have magnificent cathedrals), as is the New Forest (crammed with chocolate-box type thatched cottages).

IMHO a hotel to avoid is the Ibis. Have you checked Tripadvisor (www.tripadvisor.com) for ideas?

Regards, Mary

1. Get on the train

2. Get on a train

3. Get away from it

4. Get on a ferry

From the replies you can see that Southampton is not really a city to visit for the sake of seeing the city:) The IOW would be a much better bet if you want to spend a day somewhere before you sail. Why not stay there for the night prior to sailing?

Check out this website for Southampton B&Bs. I have stayed at the Linden Guest House located within walking distance of Southampton Central Railway Station. It is well run and often booked by regular business folk who do not want to stay in a big hotel, chain or otherwise.

http://www.smoothhound.co.uk/southamp.html

Southampton offers walking tours of the medieval district, more than worthwhile, otherwise you have the impression not much is left after the WWII bombing. There is also a Titanic memorial trail. Maritime Museum already mentioned.

Red Funnel Line (45 min) to Cowes, Isle of Wight (I.O.W.) - bus to Osbourne House (Queen Victoria's hideaway) and floating bridge from East Cowes (ferry landing) to West Cowes for an attractive shopping/restaurant/cafe street.

Train to Portsmouth Harbour Station and ferry to Ryde Pier (I.O.W.), then London Underground type train ride (20 min) along mile-long-pier to Shanklin and Ventnor, the latter a pretty resort town perched on a cliff overlooking the sea.

Train to Brockenhurst and rail shuttle to Lymington for neat ferry ride to Yarmouth, I.O.W., a pretty town and cliff walk (three miles) to a park over looking The Needles, a dramatic series of chalk remnants that marches out to sea.

So lots to do. Have a jolly good time.

Ted

My son and I took the ferry to Cowes and a taxi to Carisbrooke Castle, which is probably one of the most "classic" castles I've seen (and I've seen a few). On the way back we walked some of the way, took a public bus and then walked around Cowes before returning the Southampton.

Next time, it sounds like we'll also go to see Queen Victoria's home.

It IS nice to stay on board. But I'm very glad we went over to the Isle of Wight.

I can always depend on friendly and helpful hints from the CC Bunch. I'm not sure what we will do, but based on your responses to my question, I am guessing that it will involve leaving Southampton to go....someplace. Again - many thanks.

Jim

IMHO a hotel to avoid is the Ibis. Have you checked Tripadvisor (www.tripadvisor.com) for ideas?

Regards, Mary

We didn't stay at the Ibis in Southampton, just picked up our rental car there. But we did stay at a couple of other Ibis hotels. They were quite lacking in atmosphere, but very inexpensive by European standards. Also clean and convenient. As I recall, the Ibis in Southampton isn't very far by cab from the pier, so that can save some time and money. The immediate area that the Southampton Ibis is in has nothing to recommend it, however. One thing you should see while in Southampton is the Bargate; I'd say that it's sort of the icon of Southampton. And the park that includes the Titanic memorial is very pleasant.

We didn't stay at the Ibis in Southampton, just picked up our rental car there. But we did stay at a couple of other Ibis hotels. They were quite lacking in atmosphere, but very inexpensive by European standards. Also clean and convenient. As I recall, the Ibis in Southampton isn't very far by cab from the pier, so that can save some time and money. The immediate area that the Southampton Ibis is in has nothing to recommend it, however. One thing you should see while in Southampton is the Bargate; I'd say that it's sort of the icon of Southampton. And the park that includes the Titanic memorial is very pleasant.

Hotels are subjective. If you like the reviews on Tripadvisor (;))

then try it; personally, I wouldn't repeat the experience. It is very handy for the pier. Allow at least five minutes to look at the Bargate.

Regards, Mary

I've got a little more time now, and would like to apologise to JudyZoo if my earlier post appears a little brusque; it was meant to be light-hearted, but does not come over well when I re-read it (and the smiley face seems to have disappeared from the end:) :)). Never post when in a hurry:o.

To BeardedGuy, the Novotel Southampton seems to be worth a look. Gets mainly good reviews, reasonable price, and good location on the West Quay.

Sorry, sorry, sorry, Mary

Mary - your post didn't come across to me as brusque - just honest (and your reply reminded me that I wanted to past a reply when I had more time:) ).

So much depends on what you want out of the hotel. We've stayed at Ibises elsewhere and found them basic but OK. We've stayed at travelodges and found them very basic (but still OK if you're arriving late and departing early). We've also stayed at 5*s and enjoyed the luxury of the hotel. I wouldn't stay at a 5* if we were planning to arrive late and leave early, equally I wouldn't stay at a travelodge if we wanted somewhere to spend half a day.

If you're looking at the IOW is there a 5* there? I always thought it was a bit like the New Forrest - lots of small hotels and B&Bs.

Mary,

No need to apologize. And of course you are right about the Bargate. All it takes is at most five minutes to see it and walk through it, but I do think it should be seen by anyone who visits Southampton.

Thank you. My husband comes from Southampton, so I know it quite well (doesn't take long); you can pick your husband, but not his home town:).

Regards, Mary

PS Malcolm - what is the official dress code in an Ibis?

I had friends take the train to Portsmouth and they raved about what a great day they'd had.

This Canadian girl just had to get into Marks & Spencer (they closed the Cdn. stores) and John Lewis. I stopped off at the Maritime Museum on the way back to the ship. Beyond that Southampton doesn't have too much scenery-wise.

PS Malcolm - what is the official dress code in an Ibis?

Well Norfolk Brit, when I stayed in the Southampton IBIS at the end of September, prior to my crossing, the dress code in the evening (I departed the foyer after 6pm so it was not a formal night) was relaxed semi-formal with smart country club casual accessories over dark informal lounge jeans (except those wearing business suits with formal denim trim). There were some men who obviously hadn't read the small print and instead of wearing BLACK to dinner turned up in WHITE sports (ie soccer fan) jackets (teamed with sagging, multi coloured boardies).

At breakfast, the uniform seemed to be tracksuits. If you didn't have one, they turned you away from the restaurant.

Actually the IBIS was fine for a pre-voyage hotel at a reasonable price. Nothing exceptional but perfectly OK. And, far from "The immediate area that the Southampton Ibis is in has nothing to recommend it", it is, in fact, right on the "park that includes the Titanic memorial is very pleasant".

Now, where did I put my white semi-casual denim formal tracksuit?

Well Norfolk Brit, when I stayed in the Southampton IBIS at the end of September, prior to my crossing, the dress code in the evening (I departed the foyer after 6pm so it was not a formal night) was relaxed semi-formal with smart country club casual accessories over dark informal lounge jeans (except those wearing business suits with formal denim trim). There were some men who obviously hadn't read the small print and instead of wearing BLACK to dinner turned up in WHITE sports (ie soccer fan) jackets (teamed with sagging, multi coloured boardies).

At breakfast, the uniform seemed to be tracksuits. If you didn't have one, they turned you away from the restaurant.

Actually the IBIS was fine for a pre-voyage hotel at a reasonable price. Nothing exceptional but perfectly OK. And, far from "The immediate area that the Southampton Ibis is in has nothing to recommend it", it is, in fact, right on the "park that includes the Titanic memorial is very pleasant".

Now, where did I put my white semi-casual denim formal tracksuit?

Thanks Pepper; not only can you write an outstanding review, but I now discover you have a brilliant sense of humour.

Mary (still laughing):).

Pepper!

How can you have such marvelous wit on a Monday!

Marry Me!

Karie,

Who is kidding, of course- not about the wit part, but about the marriage. Marc would be so hurt! (Unless, of course, I could "keep" him on the side!<G>)

Karie, thank you,

I'm honoured but regretably, I fear I would have to decline as

1. I KNOW (from reading your posts) that you're a glamourous woman with great taste (and I look like an Orc straight off the set of "Lord of The Rings").

2. Everyone who has read your posts knows that you and Marc were meant for each other.

And as for keeping Marc on his side, well it's none of my business what angle you keep him at. Oh sorry, I may have misread your post.

Thanks for your comment re wit, I was also trying to get in something about "rooms on the lower floors of the hotel having smaller windows" or "guests staying in the lower levels having to use the treadmill in the gym to provide electricity for the suites on the upper floors" but I took it all out.

It would be great to think that one day I would find myself on the same ship as you and Marc, it would be a privilege to meet you both.

With very best wishes

Thanks Pepper; not only can you write an outstanding review, but I now discover you have a brilliant sense of humour.

Mary (still laughing):).

Mary, thank you, I'm glad you liked my observations on the IBIS's dress code. Actually, there were many tracksuits on parade at breakfast!

With very best wishes

Archived