Roll Call Westerdam Aug 9,2007

RMS Olympic

Tom,

Count us in! We still haven't booked a flight yet! I am about 10k miles away from a free biz class companion ticket through AMEX for Alitalia. I am trying to spend away to get it! haha

So we don't know our dates yet! :) But we would like to be in Rome early.

See you next month! :)

I just clicked on the web site you attached...its brand new...not the one I had looked at.

And guess what....there is a contact/ reservation spot.

Well if you are game , come July I will send an email and announce the fact that his establishment will be visited by his distant American "family".

We can always discuss a specific date, but it might be fun to let hin know their are gay pre cruise Roma bound travelers that are coming to dine!

Might be exciting. If we can get others in Rome early we could have a real festive night!

I for one will dine and support our gay restauranteur.

For those going over early...consider this as a dining option in Roma....

And for those with pre cruise plans , please advise as to your hotel plans, and what flights you are taking. Why find out after you get there you had future friends on the same flight.

Me...departing Newark on Aug 5 non stop Continental. Hotel...to be determined...possibly the Rex.

Ciao

PS...if you will be on the Caribbean cruise coming up next month...lets meet and start talking Rome!

Tom aka Bertha.

I went back and looked at the restaurant....Closed Monday...but open Tuesday, which I would think would be perfect. Wed is the night before we board...by then we could all be ready to hit the town after a Tuesday dinner out. That restaurant looks really nice, and I read some other reviews...it gets a lot of high marks. If I let the place know we are coming, maybe there will be locals that will show up to meet us and then show us the town after dinner. What better way to see the night spots, but with a local. I think I am as excited about Rome as I am the cruise. The one day I spent there on a tour, I knew I would return...and yes I threw a coin in that damn fountain....that coin is costing me big bucks.......but Italy.........yeah baby. And I intend to eat while in that town...........heck with the waist line, pass the pasta baby......or the dark eyed Italian carrying the plate....mama mia!

Hot Italian, hot pasta...where is the parmesean cheese.......put it on everything wink wink wink.

A gay restaurant in Rome? who'da thunk...

Well still no flight yet, but we are booked in a Gay-friendly B&B we found on a gay B&B Website....place is called "66 Imperial Inn", right by the opera. Price is right and it's airconditioned. I don't need anything else.

So now we'll continue with the watching airfares thing...I want to fly business for like 2600...hubby wants us to save those bucks. Sigh...

Tom the food and the men sound great! haha :-) Tuesday sounds like a great night!

Michael- Gary doesn't want to spend that much on business class either. How about WE fly business and THEY fly coach! We get the comfort of the seats and they get the comfort of knowing we saved some money! :D

Michael- are you going on the Caribbean cruise by any chance?!? 2 for 1 specials! They talked us into it and now we are doing that one to! :)

Fabric...I have never heard it called that before, and I was originally from NY....

No, I was talk'in 'bout....sumptin sumptin sumptin........ya know. sumptin we all need, sumptin we can't live with out, sumptin that is............ooo you know what I'm talk'in about...yeah, fabric.....lol

we are gonna have to talk on the caribbean cruise.......and not about fabric.....ooo did you see that sumptin sumptin on that one.......girl, the vapors.....quick, another cosmo barman.

Now to learn all those important phrases......how much, do you sell it by the inch, where, when and how? And the most important...I'm new in town...LOL

Be careful Tom,

Over here in Europe, important measurements like that are done in centimeters not inches. So if he says 10, you need to be prepared for under 4. But if you hear 23....:D

Christopher

I'm innocent, even after being proven guilty.

All talk, no action......

But I can dream cant I.....?

Questions:

Anyone start looking into the ports of call and the excursions available?

Over on the Caribbean cruise board there has been substantial talk on what to do, when and where.

I haven't gotten onto the Holland America web site yet...will have to start.

This cruise is actually drawing near. After returning the first week of March from the RSVP caribbean cruise...then its only 4 months to go before heading to Rome. Those 4 months will go by very fast especially when trying to diet off all that I will gain on the Caribbean Princess.

Just think...Venice!

I'm interested in the tour that goes to the ruins of,Pompeii.

I just saw a travel show that spotlighted,Venice. The advice of the host was to stay away from the tourist sites, ie: San Marco Square, and travel the backroads,so to speak. Good advice but I'd still like to see,San Marco Square. I really would like to bring home a actual Venecian mask, you know ,tha kind they wear during Mardi Gras.

The host of the show also warned the audience about the price gouging that takes place around the tourist attractions, so beware.

I watched a similar show on the Travel channel recently (I believe Samantha Brown was the host).

They always tell you to avoid the 'tourist traps', however, I have never been to Italy before and these are what I learned about in school, etc. So even if we run for a quick picture that says "look where I was" that is great by me! :-)

You should have seen us at the Louvre in Paris last year--- Mona Lisa-- check, Venus de Milo-- check, Wedding at Cana-- check... OK let's go!! haha

So just curious... who else is going on the Caribbean cruise as well? Looks like Tom and Christopher?

We can't wait!

Sadly I am not sure if I am going to make this cruise. I am trying to squirrel away some money in case there is some kind of crazy deal to try to fill up the ship like has been done for the Caribbean. I am booked on the Atlantis Baltic Cruise in July, though I would love to figure out some way to take this cruise too. I have ben to a few of the ports but not all.

And of course the comraderie is worth it.

Anyway, Venice is awesom, been there 3 times. Loved Dubrovnik. Walk the perimeter of the Old City Wall, BEAUTIFUL. Coefu not bad. Was in these three cities on an MSC Armonia cruise last October. Weather was not the best for the trip. Rough seas kept us from stopping in Mykonos.

I'll share my favs with those of you going to the Caribbean over a drink. You can hold me to that.

Christopher

Samantha......too cutesy for me.....

Mike....tourist traps...Well if ya act like a tourist.......cause ya are Blanche, ya are........watch me......tourist with a capital T.

Fortunately we have enough time there to see the big sites as well as hit the smaller out of the way spots. By the way........I have to go to Harrys Bar and have a Belini........

Get a mask.....you bet. Take too many pictures ...of course. Act like a tourist, of course...but a gay tourist!!!!!!!

Christopher........we shall talk you into the cruise.......serve you 6.5 servings of cosmos and then take you down to the RSVP desk with credit card in hand and presto, you are booked........evil, who me? You mentioned you moved to Switzerland from the US....for some reason that seems distantly familiar to me. Either we have communicated on the web before or our paths have crossed somewhere.........if I could only remember where or when.

You will also have to tell me about MSC........I really would like to try them, I love a European product when it comes to ships.......but have been hesitant to try them. I just wish they wouldn't build such big ships like everyone else. I had intended on sailing on the Montery, but they shipped her off to South Africa. I have a thing about older ships as long as they are maintained. I am even considering a ship most have not heard of...and which happens to be Swiss run...the Royal Star. She is 50 years old and still running... cruising off Africa's east coast.

Mikey....think of the photos of you shopping for just the right mask.....photo op photo op.

Geez, I 've been off the boards for a while! Didn't even know this thread was goin' on....

Couple from Brooklyn, NY goin' on this cruise (Hi NYC95). Sorry we're not going to the Caribbean with you guys. It'll be the first February RSVP cruise we've missed in 7 years. Decided after last years cruise to try something different so we're with Atlantis (San Jaun to Aruba) in March. We'll see how we like the change. Anywhose... looking forward to the Rome cruise in August. We've booked the same cabin as the February cruise last year (I guess it was addictive). Thanks to all for the reccomendations on hotels, etc. We'll see what comes up for us. Our TA is great and I'm sure she'll have ideas. First we need to get through next month's itinerary.

As NYC95 knows, we're always up for a good time. Will hold a spot for dinner with everyone. Oh, and we'll be together 28 years by ship time.

Joe

That is wonderful. Everytime I meet people that have been together over 20 years I get a wonderful feeling inside. Shoot, anyone over 5 years is great for that matter. Look forward to meeting you both.

August is getting closer.....!

Wow 28 years is fantastic! I can't wait to hear how you met and stayed together so long. :p

We hit 9 years in July! Plus this is both our 'big' year-- we both turn 30 this year- Gary in May and I do in August (31st). So the cruise is an early b-day gift for me and the Caribbean one next month is early for Gary! :D

Hey Brooklyn Pistol, glad to hear you'll be joining us for this cruise. I'm also curious to hear how about your first,Atlantis, experience. Someday I'd like to take the cruise they do in,January. It looks like fun.

Congradgulations (sp?) on your 28 years. I didn't know it's been that long.

May you still have many happy years together.

Sorry it took a while to get back...I just don't get to come to the boards as much as I'd like...especially with projects and clients breathing down my neck. But I'm sitting and waiting for pest control to come and remove a raccoon we trapped in the backyard, so I've a few minutes.

So anyway, no, we're not doing the Caribbean. My mother is arriving on 2/10 for a 2-month stay (help me Lord), so we'll be here. We weren't impressed with the itinerary at all on the RSVP Caribbean cruise, and I won't do Atlantis for personal reasons. My partner lived in Puerto RIco for quite a few years so he knows the Caribbean quite well. We wouldn't mind doing a smaller ship to smaller islands, but that would be about it. Plus, when you live in South Florida, the Caribbean tends to be more of the same. We think our next cruise after the one this summer (2009) will be the Baltic, but that's a long way off...

option # 2...bring mother along.

You mentioned the Baltic...hope you are not going with Atlantis....I have person reasons as well.

I did the Baltic a few years ago...very interesting especially St Petersburg. But the weather........I need the warmth where as the break from Florida weather would probably do you some good.

Me....heat heat heat. Thats why I am off to Tahiti the first week of December...Paul Gauguin...fabulous!

option # 2...bring mother along.

You mentioned the Baltic...hope you are not going with Atlantis....I have person reasons as well.

I did the Baltic a few years ago...very interesting especially St Petersburg. But the weather........I need the warmth where as the break from Florida weather would probably do you some good.

Me....heat heat heat. Thats why I am off to Tahiti the first week of December...Paul Gauguin...fabulous!

Just curious guys-- why not Atlantis?!?

I did hear this from other message boards and cruise groups that I asked. I hope I don't offend anyone by saying this but it seemed that the younger, twink boys loved it and those who didn't enjoy the circuit party and/or drug scene were opposed to it.

We LOVE diversity and meeting all kinds of people. We particularly enjoy meeting people with similar interest- i.e. those of us who enjoy the art of cruising and that aren't just there for the circuit parties. ;-)

Now we love to drink, party and have a good time-- please don't get me wrong. But that just didn't seem like our 'scene'.

Mine reason has nothing to do with the party boyus, circuit boys, or whatever. I believe you make a cruise what you make of it. Friends of ours are doing the Baltic with Atlantis, having done the Mediterranean with them last year. They loved it and all the people they met, and are certainly not circuit boys, but rather respectable professionals in their early 40s.

So it's not the product, it has to do with a person and goes back many years. It has nothing to do with anything the company itself has done. I'll tell you all about it when we meet in person :-)

Lord, do you want me to throw myself overboard? Actually, the final weekend of the cruise we'll be up in Orlando, as most of my rather large family will be there "doing the mouse house". Mother gets to see the grandkids, and we get some time to ourselves. A good deal all around! But the prices are tempting!

Thanks, guys. The time went really fast, actually.

NYC95 - we'll have time to 'chat' about Atlantis. I'm actually looking forward to it. Thought maybe we shouldn't do it, but the change may be right this time. I echo the sentiment about this RSVP cruise not having a decent itinerary. I thought 'where are they REALLY going?' and the answer was "NOWHERE." So maybe it was time to switch sides. After the merger with Planet Out there isn't a personable face to RSVP. I mean like Charlie or Andy, etc. It's corporate "business as usual." We'll see what the parties are like, the crowd, etc. As you know, Fred and I usually have one suitcase (or more) only for costumes, room decos, throw beads etc. for all the parties. Last year we shipped those 6 boxes (8 then consolidated to 6) boxes down in advance. So now we have to start all over again to learn a 'scene' for this company. I am really curious about those who have said 'oh I won't do Atlantis' and why. We have said we would stay RSVP but people we've met who have done both think we'll like it. BTW we're together 28 years and are monogamous (always have been) so that scene doesn't interest us at all. The one downside from this cruise is that we've got major family in Puerto Rico and no extra time to spend with them!

Looking forward to meeting many of you on board in August.

Mine reason has nothing to do with the party boyus, circuit boys, or whatever. I believe you make a cruise what you make of it. Friends of ours are doing the Baltic with Atlantis, having done the Mediterranean with them last year. They loved it and all the people they met, and are certainly not circuit boys, but rather respectable professionals in their early 40s.

So it's not the product, it has to do with a person and goes back many years. It has nothing to do with anything the company itself has done. I'll tell you all about it when we meet in person :-)

I would love to hear all about it!

I have never been on Atlantis, so that is only what I have heard. It just seemed to be a repetitive theme so I assumed that is what is was.

We never have had many problems meeting new people. We have a pretty diverse group of friends and we plan to keep it that way and grow it! :-)

Archived