Tipping and Tea

carolandphil

Hi can anyone help. I normally travel with a small kettle to make my tea (I often wake up in the night and make a cup). Is it ok to use in cabin? Also if we order room service for snacks etc, is it customary to give a tip each time and if so what do most people give. Thanks a lot, the information we have gained from this link is amazing

Yes, please reconsider preparing tea in your cabin. I remember reading an account of a fire which started in a crew cabin because of an electric coil left plugged in there. The gentlemen left it plugged in by mistake after heating water for tea.

I think that calling room service would be the right/safe thing to do in this case.

Have a great cruise. :)

(Also, if you don't mind popping up to the Lido, I do believe that hot water and tea bags would be available to you as well.)

Hi can anyone help. I normally travel with a small kettle to make my tea (I often wake up in the night and make a cup). Is it ok to use in cabin? Also if we order room service for snacks etc, is it customary to give a tip each time and if so what do most people give. Thanks a lot, the information we have gained from this link is amazing

As had been pointed out.... taking your own kettle is a no no. Severe fire hazzard risk there. Sorry. We wouldn't want to read about you being taken out and shot on the after deck at sunrise!

You can call room service and they will deliver a large thermos pot of hot water... with all kinds of trimmings... milk, sugar, splenda etc etc... perhaps even a flower!

But here is a suggestion for you. I assume you take your own tea bags... I certainly do! Irish breakfast tea... can't beat it! What you could do is take along a good thermos. Give it to your cabin steward and ask him to fill it for you from his pantry and leave it in the cabin each evening. Or you could take it up to the Lido and fill it yourself. (The thermos pots from Room Service are 'OK' but probably won't keep the water hot all night.) Either way, your steward will be glad to help. Enjoy!

Stephen

I guaranteeeeeeea you one thing, Your tea will be better tasting than the cruise lines.

Except on Cunard or Saga Cruises!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And Saga beats Cunard because they will deliver a bout of tea, plus a top up pot of BOILING water to your cabin.. with all the trimmings within TWO MINUTES!!!!!

Stephen

But here is a suggestion for you. I assume you take your own tea bags... I certainly do! Irish breakfast tea... can't beat it! What you could do is take along a good thermos. Give it to your cabin steward and ask him to fill it for you from his pantry and leave it in the cabin each evening. Or you could take it up to the Lido and fill it yourself. (The thermos pots from Room Service are 'OK' but probably won't keep the water hot all night.) Either way, your steward will be glad to help. Enjoy!

Stephen

What a marvelous idea and quciker and safer than boiling your own.

What a marvelous idea and quciker and safer than boiling your own.

Of course the best solution is to book the Penthouse. Pantry, refrigerator (big, house-size), microwave, toaster, kettle, big box of assorted teas.... though not my Irish Breakfast tea.... and enough cups, saucers etc to be hold a tea party!

Then again, if you 'live' near the penthouse you could always ask to use their kettle. :rolleyes:

Stephen

Don't see how a tea kettle is any more of a fire hazard than, say, curling irons or cigarettes! I use a thermos filled by stewards - I use it to make tea with decaf teabags brought from home and drunk in my own mug.....

Quite right. They are all serious fire hazzards and perhaps cigarettes are the worst.

One of the problem with kettles... or any other electrical appliance is that you can never be 100% certain that it is in good working condition. The kettle might be old and word out or might even be brand new but the cord might be damaged etc etc.

Own mug is always a good idea. Much bigger than any cup available on board. I picked up a couple of polisged stainless steel insulated mugs... from Explorations naturally... nice mugs and they have a plastic cap which avoids spillage.

Stephen

TEA

Get it from roomservice it is safer. Check out the variety of tea stocked in the Lido Restaurant. These are all available thru room service.

TIP

Ruth and I take NEW $2.00 bills to tip room service with.

Have a great trip

Jim & Ruth

Don't see how a tea kettle is any more of a fire hazard than, say, curling irons or cigarettes!

Yes - I'm assuming by tea kettle the OP is referring to an electric hot pot. If the pot is left turned-on & has no water in it, it certainly does become much more of a fire hazard than just a curling iron. Remember that thing has to get pretty hot in order to bring water to 212F. The element could overheat..........

Clothes irons aren't allowed either, but steamers are.

I was always very careful to not only turn-off my curling irons, but make sure they were unplugged whenever we left the cabin. Our steward when a step further. He double-checked that they were cool & then wrapped the cords around the handles of the irons.

To the OP - Stephen (Prinsendam) mentioned the penthouse. Others mentioned the Lido & room service. What about Neptune? I've never stayed in a suite, but others may know if tea & coffee are available 24/7 there.

Yes, definitely leave the curling iron home too! :eek:

Actually a tea kettle, regular clothes iron, clothes steamers & cigarettes are much more of a fire hazard than a curling Iron..All can reach the boiling point & cause a fire..Curling Irons do not get as hot (if they did they would burn your hair) & by law must have an auto shut-off when not used for a certain length of time..Kettles & Irons can cause a fire before the auto shut off is activated..

On our recent cruise on the Ryndam a notice was placed in our cabin that both Regular Irons & Clothing Steamers were no longer permitted..

Archived