Why Doesn't Carnival Stop In St. Croix?

Do any of you know why Carnival no longer goes to St. Croix? I noticed in the Carnival Cruise brochure that there are no ships traveling there. I was in St. Croix a few years ago when sailing on the Carnival Triumph, when we went to the Eastern Caribbean. Now it appears Carnival is substituting St. Maarten. I have been to St. Maarten as well, and certainly enjoyed it, but was curious as to why St. Croix has been dropped as a port.

Last year the message boards were full of complaints from passengers regarding how unsafe St. Croix was. Many cruiselines decided to pull St. Croix from their itinerary. Not sure whether or not St. Croix got it's act together and cruiselines are back.

Carnival stopped calling on St. Croix because of the crime on the island and the complaints from the passengers. If you had gone on a snorkeling excursion, the operators of the tour had to have local police there at the same time.

Well, at the time that Carnival pulled out of St Croix the reason given was that too many passengers were falling prey to robbers and what-not, that Fredricksted was not being renovated quickly enough and that there was a general lack of interest in the port. Rumors were that the lack of shore excursion options meant lower profits for the cruise line as well.

Personally, I loved the San Juan/St Thomas/St Croix itinerary for one main reason: No Immigration Procedures! Since all the ports were US islands only customs proceedures were necessary. As a non-US citizen, not having to surrender my passport when I boarded and not having to get up at 6AM to "present myself" on the last day was a huge advantage.

Hopefully with time the Cruise Lines will return.

Wow!! Thanks for the quick replies. I had no idea that crime was a problem in St. Croix. What a shame - for the passengers as well as the island residents. I'm sure they are losing a fortune in revenue!

I appreciate all of you taking the time to fill me in. You have been very helpful.

I loved St. Croix--it was my favorite of all the VI--so I was disappointed to hear that Carnival had pulled out. Apparently there were many reports of pickpockets & other crime. Too bad too, because there were a lot of charming shops set up by US expats who had moved there & relied heavily on the tourist trade.

I also liked St. Croix. Visited this island while on the Destiny and Victory. Carnival did stop calling here due to concerns over the rising incidents with crime. I understand that local authorities have been working on cleaning up the island trying to get cruise lines to start calling once more.

Can't remember which but one cruise line has started to return to St. C. on a trial basis. If crime once again begins to be an issue than they are pulling out. I think the other lines are waiting to see how it works.

Have been there on both land and sea vacations. For the most part the reports are correct --- crime, drugs, etc.

This is an instance which shows the power the cruise industries have --- i.e., we're out of here until you clean up your act. IMHO>>>A stance that I agree with!!

Archived