Denali NPS Buses

taxjam

We are planning 3 days / 2 nights at Denali. We are planning to book the shuttle bus one day and either the Tundra Wilderness or Denali Natural History Tour. Which one is recommended? Also, BQ ecommends the 530AM shuttle - are there logistical issues at that time? How do we get from our hotel (still working on that but hope to finalize in the next day or two) to the bus origination point (WAC = Wilderness Access Center? Is the road paved? (I have read that the rental car companies do not allow their cars on certain roads?

Why do you want to take the shuttle and then a tour? The buses go on the same road (there is only one), the shuttle drivers are as knowledgeable as the tour drivers, and they both stop for wildlife and toilet breaks. The road to the WAC is paved, so you can take your rental car there (there's parking for hundreds of vehicles of all sizes).

Murray

I agree, why are you considering the Tundra Wilderness tour??? There is only ONE road- Park Road 90 miles long. I NEVER recommend ANY tour buses for independent visitors- unless you are looking to pay a triple cost to only mile 53???

And as Murray says, you are going to drive to the bus. Well maintained roads. Get yourself a good map- you also need the MILEPOST, head to your library for a copy. AND order a new edition after they come out in March.

The Park Road is NOT the Denali Highway- which is a road that runs between Cantwell and Paxson, nothing to do with the Denali National Park.

I'm going to Denali in May and found there is only one shuttle operating to Toklat and the TWT to the same place. The farther in shuttles don't start till June. I decided on the TWT. Better seats and a free apple :)

Sorry you are mistaken, you aren't guaranteed to get better seats. The few new buses are totally at random and no guarantee you will be on them (verify this directly, what I was told this season). Both tour buses and shuttle buses on the whole use the same heavy duty suspension "school bus". Only you can decide- which you have, to pay $95 vs $30 to mile 53. Mighty expensive apple. :)

We are planning 3 days / 2 nights at Denali. We are planning to book the shuttle bus one day and either the Tundra Wilderness or Denali Natural History Tour. Which one is recommended? Also, BQ ecommends the 530AM shuttle - are there logistical issues at that time? How do we get from our hotel (still working on that but hope to finalize in the next day or two) to the bus origination point (WAC = Wilderness Access Center? Is the road paved? (I have read that the rental car companies do not allow their cars on certain roads?

If you have the time, I would recommend taking the shuttle bus two days in a row. Every trip is different - different wildlife sightings, more of a chance to see Mt. McKinley (it is only visible about 30% of the time on average), and a great place to enjoy nature. I usually spend 2-3 days on shuttle busses when I am there. One day is not enough for me!

But no reason to take the tour when the shuttle busses go further and cost less. If you are going in May or very early June be aware that the busses don't travel as far on the road due to snow.

Archived