Jolly Pirates review

Giskard

Just a short review...I posted this in response to another Jolly Pirates thread:

We were on the Jolly pirate on 11/30 (last Thursday). We had a great time. The ship was not overly crowded but I wouldn't have wanted too many more people on it. We were able to have sun or shade depending on what we wanted at the time. Agree with poster above, no alchohol in the drinks LOL so definitely not a party boat. We were doing enough drinking in the evenings and had our kids with us so this was fine by us

The boat is nice, the kids love it. Snorkeling was good although I can tell it would have been better had there not been a big rain storm the day before and the possibility of rain that day. Water at Boca Catlina was murky due to the waves from the approaching storm. Saw the most fish at the wreck. Be warned though that it is rough at there. My 12 year old son got out before I even got in. He saw the wreck and some fish and that was good enough for him. Once in I was happy he wasn't in, I had enough trouble just worrying about myself. If you go to the wreck make sure you swim far enough to go to the back side, there were millions of fish back there!

The last stop is at Malmock, a pretty spot. We had lunch and the rope swing was nice. Again due to waves the water was a little murky but calm enough to snorkel.

Aruba's water is absolutely gorgeous!! and I would definitely consider spending a week here!

dac

• 2 weeks later...

Giskard,

We're going on AOS next April and are thinking of booking this excursion. Did anyone on board get seasick? If you did the rope swing, how far above the water would you say it is? Do you have to be a strong swimmer? Do they give you a choice as to what time of day you go? Also, do you think boys ages 14 & 17 would enjoy this? Thanks for your help.

Actually one guy did get sick on the boat. It was pretty early in the day so we don't think it was due to drinking too much. It had stormed the day before and the day we went the weather was still a little iffy. I think this made the trip a little more rocky than normal. We all felt for the guy.

The rope swing went from the front of the boat and out along side. I did it (i'm 39) and a boy that was 9 did it, not that scary. FUN! I think the 14 & 17 year old would have fun. We snorkeled off the ship wreck, water was rough but it was really very cool.

dac

We went on the morning trip. There is a shorter afternoon trip but I don't think it would have worked with the ship departure time for us (we were on the Crown, not AOS).

The only stop we made where the swimming was rough was at the ship wreck. My 12 year old was only in long enough to see the wreck and then he was done. Fine by me as I didn't have to worry about him and could concentrate on my own swimming.

dac

Temeperature is probably subjective to many folks. :) I was born and raised at the NJ shore and we never though twice about swimming in an ocean that was only in the upper 60's. Now, many years later, to me, the upper 70's is a little on the cool side. My preference is about 85 degrees F. The water in Aruba, surprisingly never gets "hot". No matter what time of year, it stays about 81 or 82 year 'round, or at least that is what we found on our dives. :D Maybe Carla has more detailed info...

Archived