Jarronwood - Los Angeles/Santa Monica/Universal

Curt Jerome Wild

Hey there!

Okay, starting a new thread for you!

First of all, let me know what hotels in Santa Monica you are looking at...

I think that this will be a better choice for you now that you have two days (as this now changes everything)...

That being said...

I've checked with a tour company that will pick you up at any hotel in Santa Monica area, for their "to and from" Universal Studios "tour"...

So, I think that this can all work out great for you...

Get to LA/Santa Monica after your cruise...

Spend the day and evening there (Beach/Boardwalk/Shopping/Restaurants/Etc.)...

Get picked up for a tour and taken to Universal for the next day...

(From there, if you want, you can take a quick Red Line - one stop - to and from Hollywood Blvd. to see that in the middle)

Then time for Santa Monica/Venice/Marina Del Rey on the way to LAX on the last day...

This can all work, let me know what you are looking at...

CJW

Curt

You are a star.

Ok whats LBs, I know $ is American dollars but LBs?

Right all weekend I have been surfing and swinging between Santa Monica and Marina del Rey but am pretty certain that SM will be the place.

Those hotels/motels I have looked at are

Bayside which seems to be right on the ocean front

Ambrose seems really really nice but not near anything

I am still working on looking but for my money there isn't a lot of choice. Problem is also that hubby likes to smoke (only ciggies) and we have to have a hotel that accepts this which has cut out others.

I am in two minds whether to bid on Hotwire for a 3.5* hotel since the names they quote are really nice hotels. Problem is though that once my credit card has been deducted I will only know the name of the hotel and no refunds apply so I am a bit wary on that score.

So I am still none the wiser.

We do have a budget but a lot of the hotels in SM for our budget absolutely stink.

Any ideas.

Okay, so far...

$ is American dollars, LB is supposed to be pounds:o ?

Anywayz...

Brainstorming and checking here (but again if I know if your 300 is in American $s or British LBs that helps a lot)...

First of all check this:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=451075

Could be perfect for you?!?!

Really cool, hip hotel. Nice. Right at the beach. Walking distance to TONS of things. Tour pickup to Universal. Little cool "smokey" patio for your husband. 15 to 20 minutes to and from LAX.

Check it out and let me know what you think...

Now, from what I checked...

Ambrose (which I'm familiar with) is absolutely beautiful. But like you said, not really near anything - if you don't have a car. But if you can afford that (which their average lowest rate is $199), then you can afford The Hotel California (which their average lowest rate is $179); and I think that you would be much happier there.

Bayside, is kind of cool if you need a much lower rate, but there are a lot of things to know and expect about it.

It is OLD. It is absolutely clean, pristine, and spotless, but it is an old hotel that hasn't been updated. The best thing about it is the location (if you book rooms 201 to 204, or 101 to 104, then you get great views and patios out your front door and window).

A small park and the beach is right there.

The thing that is "funny about this", is that the Casa Del Mar Hotel is just to the right, and Shutters on the Beach is to the right of that, and they both charge a minimum of $350 a night if you're lucky.

So, you get the same location, and can walk there for their great restaurants (you just don't get their four star amenities).

I'll do a separate report on this hotel if you want (or I may do it anyway).

There are a lot of pros for this hotel, and a lot of cons, which are all good as long as you know what to expect.

There were happy tourists there from England, Canada, and New Jersey all sitting on the second floor patio outside their rooms having cocktails and toasting the beach sunset.

But, if you are expecting four star, and modern, this is not it.

Anyway, check on the other info, let me know what looks good and what you are thinking...

There's another few in Santa Monica, and a couple of really cool ones in Marina Del Rey that could work as well...

Let me know what you're thinking...

Cheers!

CJW

PS I wouldn't recommend that you "bid" anywhere. Sure you could end up at a good hotel for the price, but is it really going to suit what you need and want exactly? There are a lot of options and choices here, so I think it's better to research and choose what you want, than take your chances and not be able to get your money back after the bid...

Just my opinion...

Okay, so far...

$ is American dollars, LB is supposed to be pounds:o ?

The correct abbreviation for the United kingdom pound is £ or GBP. "Lbs." is for pounds of weight, not currency. Current exchange rate 1 GBP = 1.97 USD, so it definitely would be helpful to know which one is being referenced.

Enjoy

Ron

The correct abbreviation for the United kingdom pound is £ or GBP. "Lbs." is for pounds of weight, not currency. Current exchange rate 1 GBP = 1.97 USD, so it definitely would be helpful to know which one is being referenced.

Enjoy Ron

Thanks RonRythm!

I knew that's what it was, but couldn't find the "pound" sign (too many things to too, not enough time):o .

So, I guess that GBP it is!

And yep, I knew that was about the current exchange, so that's why "300" makes a big difference depending on what currency they are referring to!

CJW

;)

Yep we still are using english pounds not euros. Dont think the British people will ever agree to using euros.

Anyway, Curt, the Hotel California sounds ideal. Problem is there is no facility to book on their web site - it just says to telephone them - but I have e mailed them and hopefully they will respond.

Re our budget, I dont really want to spend more than 300 US dollars IN TOTAL for the 2 nights which in our currency is about 160 english pounds although I suppose we could stretch a bit more for a better hotel i.e. Hotel California.

Wasn't there a song by the Eagles called Hotel California. Were they referring to this hotel????

I will keep surfing - but if we go for the Ambrose (I can get a good deal on the internet at the moment) then how easy would it be to get a cab to the beach and what sort of price are we speaking about. I know the Ambrose has a London cab that drops people off at the beach.

So many choices, I just dont know.

Curt

Do you know any other way apart from telephoning the Hotel California how I can get through to them. My e mail bounced back - maybe they are closed for a while?

All the internet sites I try say "not available" so maybe they do not have any rooms for our 2 nights although I find it strange since every other hotel in the world has rooms.

What is the time difference there - 9 hours ahead I think?

Curt

Being surfing a lot this evening - what are your thoughts on the Crown Plaza in Redondo Beach.

I can get the hotel for a real song 145 english pounds for the two nights and from the reviews I have been reading on the net it seems this is a good hotel. Some sites list it as 4* others 3*.

I was just wondering about the location. The hotel is right on the beach (well near enough) and the place seems buzzy for us.

I would welcome your comments on this. I have trawled the hotels in Santa Monica and feel that if we go to Redondo Beach we can get a better class of hotel for our money.

:confused: :)

Crown Plaza Redondo Beach -

Nice typical Crown Plaza. Lots of balconies.

There is not a "beach" beach here though.

This would be a good area, if you are a super big fan of the TV show The OC, because there are some of their filming locations across the street.

You have the Pier, which is really a fishing pier, but has bars and restaurants. This is really a fishing boat area.

http://www.redondopier.com/

Then there are these restaurants which are about 1/4 to 1/2 mile from the hotel...

http://www.rbmarina.com/dining.html

Then you are about 3 miles from Hermosa Beach. Too far to walk, you'd have to pay for a taxi.

http://www.hbchamber.net/Photos/the_beach.htm

They do have VIP Tours which picks up from the hotel and goes to Universal.

You'd have to taxi a lot if you want to get anywhere worthwhile out of the direct area.

CJW

Curt Do you know any other way apart from telephoning the Hotel California how I can get through to them. My e mail bounced back - maybe they are closed for a while? All the internet sites I try say "not available" so maybe they do not have any rooms for our 2 nights although I find it strange since every other hotel in the world has rooms. What is the time difference there - 9 hours ahead I think?

I think it's 8, but could be 9. Either way, their Internet reservations aren't set up for 2007 yet, so just call.

Holiday Inn Express - Marina Del Ray

Okay, so this is a bare bones basic Holiday Inn (Express means that you get none of the extra hotel services).

It not necessarily "near" anything. It is about one mile to walk to the south end of Venice Beach.

You are across the street and maybe a half mile to parts of Marina Del Ray.

You'd have to spend money to cab places, or do a lot of walking.

If you wanted to stay here it is clean, but not spectacular, and not as good of a location as some previous hotels (note in any of the reviews that I read on various websites, where people said this was such a great location, they all had rental cars and were driving).

You are going to be walking and hanging out in the area of whatever hotel you choose, so I'm trying to help you best according to that.

CJW

PS If want want to stay in this area (which is a pretty good choice), then honestly I would stay at...

Best Western Jamaica Bay Inn -

http://www.bestwestern-jamaicabay.com/

Reviews:

Jamaica Bay Reviews

This is right on it's own little "private" beach overlooking the Marina.

There are balconies for every room (odd numbers face the beach/marina, even numbers face the city).

You are easy walking distance from a lot of good restaurants, and about 1/2 mile from Venice Beach south.

So, you can have your own little quiet cove beach from your balcony outfront, but then walk to Venice for more activity filled beach area.

Great restaurants in walking distance -

Edie's Diner (cool 50's diner overlooking the Marina)

Casa Escobar (Mexican restaurant/cantina)

Killer Shrimp (I don't eat seafood, but everyone says this is amazing)

The Warehouse (a bit of a walk, but a supremely nice upscale restaurant overlooking the marina).

Islands (California burgers, great, fries, and salads).

The Cheesecake Factory and Benihana.

Just another idea and opinion.

CJW

Curt

Funny you mention that one since that was my top choice but I looked at the Jamaica Inn and the rooms are all non-smoking. However if each one has a balcony/patio, then hubby can smoke outside then can't he?

Provided the weather beginning of March is ok then?

What do you think???

What is the smoking policy for public areas in LA? I don't smoke but hubby does and no matter how much I try and persude him to give up it falls on deaf ears. So long as he can have a ciggie ion the balcony he will be happy as larry.

Await your advice since if positive we may go with the Jam Inn.

I would just book it!

#1 All of the patios are covered, so doesn't matter on the weather. (Unfortunately March is one of our tricky months, where it could be raining, or it could be 85 degrees farenheight (sp?)

#2 The balcony smoking should be fine unless someone complains, so I wouldn't worry about it.

#3 If you book a room near the (west?) end, which I think is the higher numbers, then there is a door to the outside (separate patio, then the sidewalk) that he could jump out for a smoke. It's public property there, and it would be just a 30 second walk from your room.

#4 There is the mexican restaurant right next door, which shares the parking lot. Whenever I eat there, I always see people talking in the parking lot (from the restaurant) smoking, so it's obviously allowed there. If there was a big problem, you could always book the city view (odd numbers) on the bottom floor, and he could just "hop" the balcony in two seconds.

So, I'm totally overthinking this in the way of saying, there are plenty of options outside of the room; and I don't think it would be a problem.

I'm just sure that he wouldn't be able to smoke around the pool area, or the beach, but the balconies and these other areas I'm talking about are separated from there.

In other words, I'd say book it, I think that you'll be really pleased.:D

CJW

PS Just so you know, I often have to travel for work, or make arrangements for people in LA, where some of the people in the party smoke, and some don't. So, I'm always finding places that can accomodate both. Even if there is no smoking in the rooms - lots of hotels, if there is quick access to a balcony, or public area; it works for everyone.;)

What is the smoking policy for public areas in LA? I don't smoke but hubby does and no matter how much I try and persude him to give up it falls on deaf ears. So long as he can have a ciggie ion the balcony he will be happy as larry..

Just so you know Santa Monica has joined the cities that do not allow smoking in public areas (yea!!!). Some beaches do not allow smoking either. As well as restaurants, bars and malls.

Curt Thank you very much

I will def book it then.

If you are around on 3 March Saturday evening, would hubby and I would love to buy you a drink.

Let me know your movements.

:)

Dont suppose you know how much a taxi would cost from the Pier to the hotel? We are thinking of hiring a car instead of taking cabs but are not sure whether we will actually use the car.

We want to get from the Pier to the Hotel

We want to go to Universal the following day but I guess if we book with a tour then we will not need the car?

Then finally the day after travel to the airport.

SO what are your thoughts on taxis or hiring a car.

Oi! Oi! Oi!:eek:

Sorry, I have been swamped busy with work...

That being said...

#1 Absolutely book Jamaica Bay Inn...

I've been running around for work, and was right by there the other day.

See if you can book room #221.

Just saying, I think it's the prime room, and has two balconies!

Otherwise, your husband will not have a problem whatsoever finding a place to smoke, that doesn't disturb any other guests (just the way the hotel is set up).

AND, if he has a problem, there is a cool old lady named Evelyn, who lives nearby, and has lunch almost every day at the far end of the pool.

She smokes over in that section (which the way it's set up, doesn't interfere with the west area, main portion of the pool); and said that your husband could "join" her at any point, and no one will have a problem with it...;)

#2 If you are "comfortable" with renting a car (from Enterprise or whatever), you should do it.

LA is a "car town" and it will still be less expensive than taking shuttles or taxis. And then it gives you a little bit of freedom to be on your own time frame, (and not rely on tours), and actually take some scenic routes around town (which I'm more than happy to give you the avoid traffic scenic directions).

San Pedro to Marina Del Ray, you can take some beach streets, which are as fast if not faster than the freeway, and see some cool neighborhoods on the way there.

Same thing with MDR to Universal/Hollywood.

MDR to PCH to Sunset, through Brentwood, Beverly Hills, Hollywood, then up to Universal.

Let me know what you're thinking...

CJW

:cool:

Curt you are very much a star and deserve not one drink but a few.

Ok so I have now booked bay view at the Jamaica Bay Inn and requested room 221 for the 3rd and 4th March. Thank you for that.

Am pretty sure about the car hire - hubby would feel comfortable driving on the other side of the road. He used to live and work in Spain and we often hire a car when we visit - the roads over there, Malaga, Puerto Banus are a nightmare and he really copes very well. I have said that driving in America will seem like a piece of cake to Spain since the roads are wider. Well, I assume they are - when my ex-husband and daugher went to Florida many many years ago we hired a car and he had no problems with driving. However, it may be different in LA????

So Enterprise it is and again I have booked it - they have told me to telephone them regarding being picked up from the ship. I guess I can do this before we board the ship 2 weeks previously in Miami?

So Curt I shall keep checking your posts - and as I said before if you are around on Saturday 3rd March, maybe we can meet for a drink?

Spk soon and thanks once again.

Archived