Newer ship, shorter cruise?

Bert64

Well, I was all set to book a weeklong cruise on one of Carnival's new, big ships for this spring - until I got overwhelmed with the thought of leaving my son behind for 7 or 8 days...total separation anxiety on my part, although I know he'll be completely fine getting spoiled by his grandparents for a week. :)

So my thought was for us to take a shorter cruise (4-5 days), but I'd prefer not take a ship that's seen better days and is showing her age. Any suggestions as to a great ship to take a short cruise on for a worried mommy? :D

Hi

For the very same reason I prefer 5 day cruises right now.

We took Elation in November for 5 days and had a great time. In fact we plan to take her out of San Diego next November for another 5 days.

She isn't the biggest or the newest, but you still have the fun, food and service of the newer ships.

We've been on Victory twice...however, I have found her crew to be the most unhappy of the fleet. I wish they would change ships out of New York as we love that 5 day cruise to Canada!

We are going on a 4 day out of miami on the fascination. It just got out of drydock recently and the reviews since then have been super good. Check out the member review section listed on the cc main page and you'll get lots of good info about the ships.

With our fifth cruise coming up, 4 of them have been on the Fantasy class ships. We seem to enjoy this class since we have sailed it so much and know the layout of the ship. We did sail on the Glory, which is a Conquest class, and took us a couple of days to really figure it out.

But, any ship would be great!

Well, I was all set to book a weeklong cruise on one of Carnival's new, big ships for this spring - until I got overwhelmed with the thought of leaving my son behind for 7 or 8 days...total separation anxiety on my part, although I know he'll be completely fine getting spoiled by his grandparents for a week. :)

So my thought was for us to take a shorter cruise (4-5 days), but I'd prefer not take a ship that's seen better days and is showing her age. Any suggestions as to a great ship to take a short cruise on for a worried mommy? :D

Why not just take your kid on the cruise. My daughter is 6 and has been on the Spirit, Conquest, Liberty, Paradise, and the disney magic (3 times) and were booked on the Carnival Freedom for Greek cruise in 2008

It's not like they don't care of the older ships. They are all refurbished every couple of years and many have been done this year. The Fantasy class ships are great. I've been on every Fantasy class ship but the Paradise and Fascination.

They're easy to get around on too.:)

Bill

I was just on the Imagination on 11/11. She was a great ship and easy to get around. The food was awesone in the dining room, pool grill and Horizon grill. I don't have kids, but i felt the same way about the dogs. I'm looking into a cruise now for August and have to decide to let someone housesit for the week or put them in the kennel. I know they prefer to stay home, it's cheaper and they get all the attention they want.

Why not just take your kid on the cruise. My daughter is 6 and has been on the Spirit, Conquest, Liberty, Paradise, and the disney magic (3 times) and were booked on the Carnival Freedom for Greek cruise in 2008

Well my son is 3, and while he does travel well and often with us, this trip we're planning on taking without him and it will also give him time with his grandparents.

We did the same thing last year. We left our kids (youngest was 3) with the grandparents for a 5 day cruise on the Inspiration out of Tampa. This year we took the kids with us on a 5 day on the Elation. The Elation was just in drydock for a spruce up in April 06. It will only be on the east coast until mid May and the itnenarary is a good one (Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay and Nassau).

I can recommend either the Inspiration (Western Carrib) or the Elation (Eastern Carrib).

I think the OP said they were looking to go in the spring.:)

Bill

Please do not cloud the issue with facts. :o

You are 100% correct I was just listing another option. And did not see the spring part since I was talking on the phone while posting.

How bout the Freedom CCL`s soon to be newest ship. Has a four day out of Miami on 11/12/07.

We were looking at spring...but that looks like a fantastic opportunity for next fall:D Glad you brought that to my attention, because I would have never looked up that ship for a short trip...

Is it purely for financial reasons (higher rates, more $$ spent if you're on there longer) that brand new ships don't regularly do short cruises or is there some other logic behind it? I would love for CCL or RCCL to put a new ship on a short itinerary...I'd imagine there are quite a few people out there that whatever the reason (kids, work, etc.) can't take off 7 or 8 consecutive days but would love the opportunity to try out a new ship.

We were looking at spring...but that looks like a fantastic opportunity for next fall:D Glad you brought that to my attention, because I would have never looked up that ship for a short trip...

Is it purely for financial reasons (higher rates, more $$ spent if you're on there longer) that brand new ships don't regularly do short cruises or is there some other logic behind it? I would love for CCL or RCCL to put a new ship on a short itinerary...I'd imagine there are quite a few people out there that whatever the reason (kids, work, etc.) can't take off 7 or 8 consecutive days but would love the opportunity to try out a new ship.

Explorer of the Seas was doing 5 day cruises from Bayonne to Bermuda. Voyager class ships are awesome.

Bill

Bert64

The 11/12/07 is the first sailing from the US for the Freedom. It is a one time only sailing. I am not sure why they even offered a four day sailing on a new ship. I do know I booked a suite the first day it went on sale thru CCL.:D Look at the roll call for the Freedom I think someone has listed some deals for that sailing.

Archived