how do you bring your wine to the dining room, silly I know

Kajunswty

Should I bring it during the afteroon and give it to the maitre'd or bring it with me to dinner? I don't recall seeing anyone toting in their wine. Usually I just buy a bottle at dinner but I hate overpaying for the wine Carnival offers.

Oh, one more question...will our waiter get the corking fee or does the bartender waiter get it? That may not be the correct term but hopefully ya'll will know who I am refering to.

Just bring it to your table and give it to your waiter or assistant waiter. I usually bring a white, a red, and a dessert wine. I just give all three on the first evening. They store them for us so we can have what we like when we like. :D

Should I bring it during the afteroon and give it to the maitre'd or bring it with me to dinner? I don't recall seeing anyone toting in their wine. Usually I just buy a bottle at dinner but I hate overpaying for the wine Carnival offers.

Oh, one more question...will our waiter get the corking fee or does the bartender waiter get it? That may not be the correct term but hopefully ya'll will know who I am refering to.

We simply carry our bottle with us to dinner the first night and the waiters take care of opening it for you. They store it for you and bring it to you the next night or until it's empty. I saw others carrying bottles too. I know you are supposed to be charged a corking fee but we never asked about it and we were never charged anything.

FrannyK

Costa Riviera 1985

NCL Seaward 1987

CCL Fantasy 1/2000

CCL Sensation 2/2001

CCL Imagination 1/2002

RCI Explorer 6/2002

RCI Monarch 4/2003

CCL Sensation 2/2004

CCL Imagination 2/2006

CCL Liberty Thanksgiving/2006

I was like you, wasn't sure how to take it to the dining room I didn't have a bag to carry it in except for the paper bag and thought I might look like a wino carrying it around in paper bag. So I just carried it into the dining room and plunked it on the table. The our server went and got the corkscrew, opened it up and poured it for us and we never received a charge.

My family brought a full case and a few extras of wine onto the ship at embarkation. Then each evening we'd decide which we wanted with dinner, and carry them into the dining room. We chilled the whites in the cabin refrig.so they were the correct temp.

The first night, they charged us ten bucks for the corkage fee (altho we consumed 3 bottles that night). After that there was never any charge and the staff was happy to open and serve wine to us every night. The last night of the cruise, we figured the dining staff had opened some 16 bottles for our table for free, so we gave the dining staff the $160.00 of corkage fees as an additional tip. It does make extra work for them, with the extra glasses, and opening, pouring for the taster, then continuing to keep everyones glasses full, so I was glad to give it to the staff and not the ship.

Everyone was happy, I guess, except maybe Carnival.

I usually wrap mine in a nice evening gown with new shoes and a shawl cuz the dinning room is chilly and I dont want her to be cold.

Just kidding... I could not resist!

my whine ....get it ...soooo sooooorrryyyy.

lol, I figured someone would get a laugh out of my question but I was thinking along the lines of an igloo ice chest ;) you know the "fancy" kind with wheels!!!

But really, I'm glad I asked because I was thinkiing of bringing the bottles seperately. It makes more sense to bring both on the first night. I don't mind paying the fee for corking but hey if they don't charge me all the better!

2 days and counting!!!!!

....... But we also uncorked it in the room. They uncorked one time but never charged us for the fee...

The corkage fee is not for the physical ACT of uncorking a bottle of wine. So it doesn't matter if you remove the cork yourself or they do it.

'Corkage' is charged for allowing you to bring your bottle of wine into the dining room. Like some land restaurants allow this - the fee is for the privilege of your bringing it in (and not buying it from the restaurant/ship).

My family brought a full case and a few extras of wine onto the ship at embarkation. Then each evening we'd decide which we wanted with dinner, and carry them into the dining room. We chilled the whites in the cabin refrig.so they were the correct temp.

The first night, they charged us ten bucks for the corkage fee (altho we consumed 3 bottles that night). After that there was never any charge and the staff was happy to open and serve wine to us every night. The last night of the cruise, we figured the dining staff had opened some 16 bottles for our table for free, so we gave the dining staff the $160.00 of corkage fees as an additional tip. It does make extra work for them, with the extra glasses, and opening, pouring for the taster, then continuing to keep everyones glasses full, so I was glad to give it to the staff and not the ship.

Everyone was happy, I guess, except maybe Carnival.

May I ask how you managed to get in a case of wine? Would love to attempt to do this on my upcoming cruise....;)

Also, very nice of you to throw them the extra tip!

We carried ours with us. But we also uncorked it in the room. They uncorked one time but never charged us for the fee...

Same here. We usually uncork at least one bottle in the room. Then take another bottle for the waiter to uncork. We've never been charged a fee, either. ;)

The corkage fee is not for the physical ACT of uncorking a bottle of wine. So it doesn't matter if you remove the cork yourself or they do it.

'Corkage' is charged for allowing you to bring your bottle of wine into the dining room. Like some land restaurants allow this - the fee is for the privilege of your bringing it in (and not buying it from the restaurant/ship).

We just carried the wine into the dining room and were never charged a corkage fee (the above post is correct--it's not just the act of opening the wine!)

When we went to Nick and Nora's restaurant on the Miracle and didn't finish one of the bottles we ordered there, they gladly arranged to have it sent to the dining room where it was available for us the next evening.

Maybe I'm just not getting it, so here's my question. We will drink 1-2 bottles of wine at dinner(we also plan on bringing on a case),do we bring just what we plan to drink that night or can we bring enough for 2-3 nights? Can we bring all the wine to the dining room and have them store and chill it for us? Thanks, Laura

May I ask how you managed to get in a case of wine? Would love to attempt to do this on my upcoming cruise....;)

QUOTE]

9 of us (all adults) checked in and embarked together. One of my strong young nephews simply carried the case full of wine(12 bottles) along with us. No one even looked in it. This amount seemed to be within the guidelines for Carnival. that expressly says you "may bring fine wine or champagne on board only during embarkation at the beginning of the cruise", but "excessive quantities of wine...to be determined at the discretion of security and/or embarkation personnel, will be confiscated and discarded, without compensation." For nine of us, a dozen bottles was barely a bottle and a half apiece for the whole cruise. That did not seem to be "excessive."

Unbeknownst to me at the time, one of my nieces had another 5 bottles in her checked luggage, which also made it onto the ship without being discovered.

We don't do this to save money, really,the ships wines are pretty fairly priced, but because we like to bring our favorites. The 9 of us generally consumed about 3 bottles per dinner, but some nights we chose not to drink wine with dinner, and had beer or soft drinks.

QUOTE]

9 of us (all adults) checked in and embarked together. One of my strong young nephews simply carried the case full of wine(12 bottles) along with us. No one even looked in it. This amount seemed to be within the guidelines for Carnival. that expressly says you "may bring fine wine or champagne on board only during embarkation at the beginning of the cruise", but "excessive quantities of wine...to be determined at the discretion of security and/or embarkation personnel, will be confiscated and discarded, without compensation." For nine of us, a dozen bottles was barely a bottle and a half apiece for the whole cruise. That did not seem to be "excessive."

Unbeknownst to me at the time, one of my nieces had another 5 bottles in her checked luggage, which also made it onto the ship without being discovered.

We don't do this to save money, really,the ships wines are pretty fairly priced, but because we like to bring our favorites. The 9 of us generally consumed about 3 bottles per dinner, but some nights we chose not to drink wine with dinner, and had beer or soft drinks.

Great!! Thanks so much for your reply. I remembered on my last cruise being able to bring wine on, but I couldn't remember if it was because we were a large group or not. Well, that's nice to know that anyone can bring it on.

Now, I don't want to bring a case on the airplace...so I hope that the port in San Juan, which I'm told has a duty free liquor store right at embarkation, has some good cases of wine. Anyone have an idea if they do or not?

You might want to bring along one or two of the wine sized gift bags (that way you don't have to carry it in the paper "wino bag"). Not sure who gets the corkage fee - but many times that charge is waived.

Payd:)

Just took it to the dining room come dinner time and set it on the table. We signed one carkage fee slip and not one for the 2nd bottle which he told us he wouldn't charge for. When our SS bill came the one we signed for was never added :)

On the last night we had a big bottle left so we took it with us and finished it up that night ;)

Archived