car rental drop off - Ft. Lauderdale

kchobbs

We are arriving at Ft. Lauderdale 2 days before our cruise and are considering the costs of using taxis for two days vs renting a car. My question is can I drop off a rental car at the port? We will probably be renting from Hertz or Budget. Will they allow us to leave the car at the port to be picked up or would I have to return it to a nearby rental depot and then taxi from there?

We are arriving at Ft. Lauderdale 2 days before our cruise and are considering the costs of using taxis for two days vs renting a car. My question is can I drop off a rental car at the port? We will probably be renting from Hertz or Budget. Will they allow us to leave the car at the port to be picked up or would I have to return it to a nearby rental depot and then taxi from there?

Welcome to Florida! :)

The closest rental facilities for Hertz & Budget are onsite at FLL airport; I've never seen or heard of any drop sites within the port itself (sounds like a great idea, anyone in the rental car business listening???). But the airport is so close to the port that it's a 10 minute cab ride to the port, at most.

S Florida is quite a sprawling area & there's so many places to see, great restaurants & shopping; I'd recommend renting a car and having the freedom to explore at your leisure.

We will be renting from Budget before our cruise. There is a return location outside of the airport that has a complimetary shuttle to the ship. FYI: If you are a Costco member, use code W852802 for discounted rates. Here is the location info:

QUAY SHOPPING PLAZA

1515 SE 17TH STREET CAUSEWAY

FT.LAUDERDALE, FL 33316 US

Location code F07

954-761-7231

regular hours of operation

exception hoursSun 9:00 AM - 2:00 PM

Mon - Fri 8:00 AM - 6:00 PM

Sat 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM

CHRISTMAS EVE December 24 9:00 AM - 1:00 PM

CHRISTMAS December 25 Closed

NEW YEARS EVE December 31 9:00 AM - 1:00 PM

NEW YEARS DAY January 1 Closed

EASTER April 8 Closed

MEMORIAL DAY May 28 Closed

INDEPENDENCE DY July 4 Closed

LABOR DAY September 3 Closed

THANKSGIVING November 22 Closed

I just checked out rates at Budget....as there are 5 of us, four adults and an infant, we will require a fairly large car or minivan to travel in. The rate of a day and a half from Budget, using my business code, was approx $120.00. Apparently there is a depot near or at the port that I could drop off the car.

But at this rate, I am sure we could get a lot of taxi fares in proceeding our departure. We are staying at Tropirock and will require a taxi from the airport to Tropirock. The following day we will probably need a taxi during the day to see some of the sites and a taxi returning to our room. I have another post asking for info on things to see and do for the day. We will then need a taxi the following day to get to the port. So what would be cheaper......renting a vehicle for a day and a half or using taxis?

While there are no car rental facilities within the secured port zone, there are two facilities just outside of the port perimeter.

Budget has an office on 17th Street in the Quay Shopping Center and Thrifty has an office on Miami Drive just outside of the port security gate. Check the Thrifty rates as they are typically less then Budget. Thrifty offers the port shuttle as well. ;)

THRIFTY FT. LAUDERDALE OFF ARPT, FL,US (FL9)

2400 MIAMI ROAD

FT LAUDERDALE, FLORIDA 33316

UNITED STATES

(877) 283-0898

Last year we rented a car for 3 days from Avis I think [might have been Hertz] :confused: but they have a drop off down by the pier with a free shuttle to the pier. [You might have to call the general reservation # so you can use the drop off by the pier.]

You can google for coupons for free upgrade, or so much off a weekend rate. AAA, BJ's, Best Western they have coupon codes if you belong to their program. Once I got a better price calling the general reservation # because of some special running that wasn't posted online.

Hope this kinda helps.

While there are no car rental facilities within the secured port zone, there are two facilities just outside of the port perimeter.

Budget has an office on 17th Street in the Quay Shopping Center and Thrifty has an office on Miami Drive just outside of the port security gate. Check the Thrifty rates as they are typically less then Budget. Thrifty offers the port shuttle as well. ;)

THRIFTY FT. LAUDERDALE OFF ARPT, FL,US (FL9)

2400 MIAMI ROAD

FT LAUDERDALE, FLORIDA 33316

UNITED STATES

(877) 283-0898

We have used both successfully. Found the Thrifty drop off easier - it is a larger facility with a bigger shuttle bus. Budget is a storefront in a strip mall and is quite busy on port days. Having said that, it is a viable walk from Budget to the northern piers (Princess, Cunard MSC). Thrifty is at the mid port security gate and more convenient to Carnival, Costa, etc.

Both times I dropped everyone and the luggage off and doubled back to drop off the car. When I caught up with everyone, they were well along in the embarkation line.

Richard

P.S. Bequia always has the best info on Fort Lauderdale.

Archived