Camp Carnival Questions

Travelwiser13

We have a 8,9,15,and a 17 year old going with us. I need some advise. The 8 year old can be slightly shy at times but once warmed up is ok, especially if he enjoys the activities he is participating in. The 9 year old is totally out going and will follow just about anyone (dangerously so :( ). The 15 can be outgoing but wants most likely to stick by the 17 year old, which is her cousin.

Here is my dilemmas:

The 8yo may or may not stay at camp carnival depending on what kind of activities they offer and if his sister is there or not. I understand they are strict on their age guidelines and I believe the two are in two different groups? If he suddenly decided he wanted *Mommy* can he just leave, as he might do, or is there something that prevents him from leaving?

I thought I read that the cut off is 15 for camp carnival for the teens which is ok but my 15 is way beyond her years and never has/or will get along with those her own age. She if very mature and intelligent. She's gifted as well. Can she partake in activites with the 17yo too or is she also restricted?

Finally, how many times has it occurred that a child didn't want to leave camp carnival (lol) when they were closed because they were having so much fun? Just curious.

Her are the age groups: 2-5, 6-8, 9-11, 12-14, 15-17. The 2-5 and 6-8 kids must have an adult sign them in and out of Camp Carnival. Your 8 YO won't be able to leave on his own. We have a 6 YO in this group (turns 7 on our upcoming February cruise), and he has a wonderful time in Camp Carnival.

The 9-11 and 12-14 groups can sign themselves in and out. We have a 10 YO whom we just started allowing sign-in and sign-out, but we take him to the place where the group is meeting and meet him at the conclusion of the activity.

The 15-17 group is Club O2; your 15 and 17 YOs will be together. My 15 YO has had very good experiences with it on our last two cruises. He still keeps in touch with some kids he met. It gives the kids a place to hang out, listen to music, play video games, have parties, etc.

Hope this helps!

Thank you both so much. I had come across some information but it seemed conflicting. I was concerned my 8 yo would be able to bolt if he suddenly decided to as sometimes he gets scared and his first instinct is to find Mommy even if he has no clue where I am (and then could end up lost and alone which is even scarier with stranger danger).

I won't give my 9 yo permission to sign herself out either for same reason as above, stranger danger.

I'm glad the teens can be together and I did just come across the information regarding O2 club. Sounds like they should have a blast! I'm curious what the *teens only* excursions might be?

I had just been reading over the world alerts site, I know, a paranoid Mom here! LOL It was warning about child abductions in Mexico and such so I've gotten myself all worked up again for another reason. :( I should stop preparing so much like this but it's a Mom thing I think.

Went I last went I didn't have to plan or think about children and I was a bit niave to everything and the world I think as well. I really enjoyed cruising and it's what brought me back and given me the love (besides loving the ocean). I promised myself we will enjoy this cruise. We have two Grandma's going, the kids myself and fiance' so it should all work out just nicely in the end and perhaps quite differently then I keep thinking. I know, expect some bumps, it's inevitable.:eek:

Archived